Aurora Feedback

CptLoon

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

Any tips for how to deal with them?

• Find a flashlight and learn how to use it
  • Use fire to keep them away
  • Stay indoors when aurora are happening

That's pretty much it at the moment, for me.

I am curious to see if distracting them with stones works.. but those only work when they haven't noticed you. Given the ramped-up detection ranges, I'm not especially hopeful on that score.

3 minutes ago, kurja said:

Anyone else wonder why the aurora only happens at night

Aurora are just plain hard to see in the daytime. It can happen IRL, but it's very rare.

And be glad they don't happen in the daytime in the game. Life would become a lot more dangerous.

9 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Aurora are just plain hard to see in the daytime. It can happen IRL, but it's very rare.

And be glad they don't happen in the daytime in the game. Life would become a lot more dangerous.

IRL aurorae happen during the day exactly as much as at night, the day-night cycle just has nothing to do with it, except for visibility. Apocalypse-level stuff going on for weeks or months or years is just plain implausible imo.

How would daytime aurora be dangerous in the game? So far I've found 1 place where it's possible to get electrocuted.

And no this was not a feature request, just making an observation.

23 minutes ago, kurja said:

IRL aurorae happen during the day exactly as much as at night, the day-night cycle just has nothing to do with it, except for visibility.

That's basically what I said, but using different words.. ;)

23 minutes ago, kurja said:

Apocalypse-level stuff going on for weeks or months or years is just plain implausible imo.

Fully agree.

24 minutes ago, kurja said:

How would daytime aurora be dangerous in the game?

Because aurora bears and wolves are a lot more dangerous than the regular kind.

4 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Any tips for how to deal with them?

So far the only thing that's worked for me is to just let them follow you to your destination. I can't lose them, unless I cross log bridges or use climbing ropes. You have to be more careful with aurora wolves than with regular wolves though, because chances are, you could end up with a lot of wolves following you since they can spot you from farther.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

Find a flashlight and learn how to use it

Flashlights work now? I've got to experiment with this.

9 minutes ago, shade_grey said:

Flashlights work now? I've got to experiment with this.

They've worked ever since their introduction to the game.. which is to say, almost 6 weeks ago.

(hint: they have two settings (three if you count 'off').. but only work when there's an aurora)

7 minutes ago, JAFO said:

They've worked ever since their introduction to the game.. which is to say, almost 6 weeks ago.

I was talking about it affecting wolves... I've tried the using them in storymode. Doesn't stop the wolf, just drains the battery faster. Ever since then, I've stoped using them, except as a light source for caving.

19 minutes ago, shade_grey said:

I've tried the using them in storymode. Doesn't stop the wolf, just drains the battery faster.

I've seen mixed reports here on the forums.. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.. there also may well be some particular technique to it, I suspect.

3 hours ago, shade_grey said:

I was talking about it affecting wolves... I've tried the using them in storymode. Doesn't stop the wolf, just drains the battery faster. Ever since then, I've stoped using them, except as a light source for caving.

Some wolves in the game are very badly bugged. Also, I would make sure I was using the high beam, and I would also try shining it on the ground in front of the wolf, not just at it. They don't like to cross into spotlights on the ground....

2 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I would also try shining it on the ground in front of the wolf, not just at it. They don't like to cross into spotlights on the ground....

Good point.. and one I hadn't really thought about. Certainly that's the case for the pole-lighting in BR, so it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Good point.. and one I hadn't really thought about. Certainly that's the case for the pole-lighting in BR, so it makes sense.

I actually haven't used a flashlight on an aurora wolf yet, as I just got into Episode 2 and then stopped playing because of the flare cache bug, but A LOT of people have been complaining about the flashlight doing jack.

So either all the wolves are broken, or some people aern't doing it right. That's what made me consider trying shining the light on the ground in front of them....maybe that's the issue? 

If that doesn't work either, then like I said some wolves are pretty jacked up. Like not responding to bait, and stopping when reaching the edge of your field of vision....

10 hours ago, JAFO said:
  • Find a flashlight and learn how to use it
  • Use fire to keep them away
  • Stay indoors when aurora are happening

That's pretty much it at the moment, for me.

I am curious to see if distracting them with stones works.. but those only work when they haven't noticed you. Given the ramped-up detection ranges, I'm not especially hopeful on that score.

Thanks! 

Archived