Can't find bear in Episode 2

nanashikuma

I saw similar thread on forum, but cant find solution anyway. Already did 4/6. Checked ALL 6 locations 4 times - nothing. No footsteps, no blood no any signs of the bear. Spent on it about week and a half of in-game time. What am i doing wrong? Quest is broken? >:( Playing on PC.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe @SnowWalkergot stuck on the same spot. Not only do you have to know the locations....but you have to approach the next location from the correct direction....i.e. the direction of the prior location....as if you chased after the bear. The bear won't magically appear in the next location unless you approach from the place where you shot him the 4th time....

Go back to the unnamed pond, if that is the last place you shot him....then head to the train tracks from there. If the game saves when you get to the tracks, it means it worked.....

The last shot in the clear cut area....or by the logging camp blue trailers, is scripted to be foggy....so don't waste three days like most people trying to sleep till the fog burns off. It won't. The fog clears up after you land the kill shot. I suggest you grab the ear and walk into one of the logging trailers to save your game. If you die before giving him the ear, it may disappear from your inventory. This is SUPPOSED to be patched now for like the third time....but why risk it?

24 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Go back to the unnamed pond, if that is the last place you shot him....then head to the train tracks from there. If the game saves when you get to the tracks, it means it worked.....

The last shot in the clear cut area....or by the logging camp blue trailers, is scripted to be foggy....so don't waste three days like most people trying to sleep till the fog burns off. It won't. The fog clears up after you land the kill shot. I suggest you grab the ear and walk into one of the logging trailers to save your game. If you die before giving him the ear, it may disappear from your inventory. This is SUPPOSED to be patched now for like the third time....but why risk it?

I'll try, thanks.

34 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

No problemo....let me know if that solved the issue....

Solved. From administration base I always go to the right along the railroad tracks, but this time I went left and saw the bear immediately. Spent on this a lot of time... Thanks again.

4 minutes ago, nanashikuma said:

Solved. From administration base I always go to the right along the railroad tracks, but this time I went left and saw the bear immediately. Spent on this a lot of time... Thanks again.

Awesome...apparently they didn't do a lot of testing regarding not following the quests in an exact linear fashion. Like, "Will the bear still appear if they go an sleep at the Camp Office between shots?"

They basically expect you to go to all six locations in one day without getting mauled once, because you shot the bear right at the last moment without missing....so you didn't have to stop to rest and recover anywhere off the quest path.

Ideally the bear should appear at the next location regardless of which direction you approach from. This is not the case....you are supposed to follow his tracks between each spot....and not deviate from the path....

Yeah, I took a roguelike approach and the bear has destroyed most of my better clothes... pretty painful as I had some new wool hood and a balaclava and ear wraps... bear wrecked them!  Now I'm trying to keep my baseball cap alive and find the right angle to enter areas to trigger the bear appearing next.  Has anyone else taken clothes off to try and preserve them in bear attacks?  I have mixed feelings as you get hypothermia and frostbite risk pretty fast in anything but perfect weather.

6 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Heck the bear will still appear at the 4th shot on the rails...if you camp at Loggers...then have to spen the next night at the Dam...and then head back down the rails past the derailment.

So following on from location to location via the "right direction" is not important at all.

Ok if you say so, @RossBondReturns....although it sort of seems like it does by the fact that the OP and @SnowWalkercouldn't get the bear to spawn UNTIL they approached from the "correct" direction....

There seems to be evidence to the contrary of your claim...

Did you actually read this thread and SnowWalker's thread, or did you just assume?

6 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Heck the bear will still appear at the 4th shot on the rails...if you camp at Loggers.

I did that exact thing and it didn't work for me. I went straight to the logging camp trailers to warm up after the third shot and then thought he might be around in there but he wasn't. So I went down on the tracks toward Camp Office and he wasn't there either. I had to go back to the pond, start from there and then go out to the tracks from that pond before he spawned on the tracks. And I looked everywhere for him before that. I think rather than the bear gets stuck, the story itself gets stuck. I feel like that if it has to be done in a certain order then the 'possible locations' should have be numbered. Anyway, they've had a patch since I finished the game so that might be fixed now.

29 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I did that exact thing and it didn't work for me. I went straight to the logging camp trailers to warm up after the third shot and then thought he might be around in there but he wasn't. So I went down on the tracks toward Camp Office and he wasn't there either. I had to go back to the pond, start from there and then go out to the tracks from that pond before he spawned on the tracks. And I looked everywhere for him before that. I think rather than the bear gets stuck, the story itself gets stuck. I feel like that if it has to be done in a certain order then the 'possible locations' should have be numbered. Anyway, they've had a patch since I finished the game so that might be fixed now.

No, I'm sure you and the OP must be confused....and you are wrong. You can approach from any direction like @RossBondReturnssaid....he programed all of Wintermute himself two weeks ago....so I'm sure he's right and you are both wrong....even though it happened like that for you in the game just now....you must not be remembering right or something.....

12 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

No, I'm sure you and the OP must be confused....and you are wrong. You can approach from any direction like @RossBondReturnssaid....he programed all of Wintermute himself two weeks ago....so I'm sure he's right and you are both wrong....even though it happened like that for you in the game just now....you must not be remembering right or something.....

Well it didn't work for me when I approached the tracks from the logging camp side, but I had to go warm up since I had done all of the first three shots in a row. Also I thought the tracks location would be the last location since I thought we were going to end up in that cave back of camp office like in the Hunted challenge. Anyway, it didn't work they way I went. Maybe sleeping in the dam after the third shot reset Ross's game, but I myself didn't want to go all the way over to the dam before I was done with the bear. I slept in the logging trailers after shot three. Maybe sleeping in the trailers screwed it up, idk?

Just now, SnowWalker said:

Well it didn't work for me when I approached the tracks from the logging camp side, but I had to go warm up since I had done all of the first three shots in a row. Also I thought the tracks location would be the last location since I thought we were going to end up in that cave back of camp office like in the Hunted challenge. Anyway, it didn't work they way I went. Maybe sleeping in the dam after the third shot reset Ross's game, but I myself didn't want to go all the way over to the dam before I was done with the bear. I slept in the logging trailers after shot three.

The bottom line is...none of us know for sure how they programed these quests to work, and almost all of them have been riddled with bugs since release.

All I know is what has worked to solve problems for other people in the game who encountered similar problems by reading a vast majority of the threads here.

I was reporting to the OP what worked for you, when you encountered this same issue. Your solution worked for the OP as well....

So what is the point of @RossBondReturnsshowing up a day late and a dollar short informing us we are all wrong, because "reasons."

4 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I was reporting to the OP what worked for you, when you encountered this same issue. Your solution worked for the OP as well....

It also worked for a girl who posted on that video I did on the last two shots. I told her what to do and it worked for her too.

16 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Ok if you say so, @RossBondReturns....although it sort of seems like it does by the fact that the OP and @SnowWalkercouldn't get the bear to spawn UNTIL they approached from the "correct" direction....

There seems to be evidence to the contrary of your claim...

Did you actually read this thread and SnowWalker's thread, or did you just assume?

No, I state this because it's what happened in my LP.

So direction of travel to the next bear location doesn't matter. That's all I was stating.

8 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

No, I state this because it's what happened in my LP.

So direction of travel to the next bear location doesn't matter. That's all I was stating.

So the other three people are still wrong and you are right....ok, I see how your mind works....

Just now, Thrasador said:

So the other three people are still wrong and you are right....ok, I see how your mind works....

Check my videos. Episode 26 shows shot 3 after which I went exactly the direction I said...Loggers... then to the Dam Episode 27...then from the Dam  get some cattails then get attacked by a wolf so rest in the Dam...then head past the Derailment to (at around 20 mins into Episode 27) I see a cache which contains a rifle round and old mans beard. After turning from there I step forward and it saves. I turn and see the bear rearing up and shoot it.

So when coming from the dam and then the derailment you are coming down the tracks from a direction that would be different than someone coming from the camp office and then the derailment....which results in the bear not spawning for ALL those other people....so direction DOES matter.

You have proof of it working from ONE direction, so you then ASSUME it works from ALL directions, despite mounting evidence that it does not?

That my friend is VERY poor science....

10 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

So when coming from the dam and then the derailment you are coming down the tracks from a direction that would be different than someone coming from the camp office and then the derailment....which results in the bear not spawning for ALL those other people....so direction DOES matter.

You have proof of it working from ONE direction, so you then ASSUME it works from ALL directions, despite mounting evidence that it does not?

That my friend is VERY poor science....

All I am saying is that it could work both ways.

That is all I'm saying.

And my videos are in fact proof that it does happen from the other direction.

Heck it could also work by walking from Jeremiahs and then going all the way up the railroad, I'll be trying that in my next attempt.

Technically what I am saying is that it could happen with various approaches it's not set in stone.

Why are you unable to accept that?

Archived