Why'd They Have To Be Married? (spoiler I guess)

selfless

I mean, I get what you are saying but I think it is what gives the urgency to find Astrid, otherwise why is Will going through this effort? 

Not saying that someone wouldn't trek across a frozen wasteland on the brink of death every day for hundreds of miles to find and rescue their good friend or co-worker but it is unlikely.

It wasn't obvious enough that if they were siblings that their background story would be different as well? Hell, it could be changed that she lost her child (Will loosing a niece/naphew) and then they could make it that they're talking about that kid. Not much would have to be changed.

Edit. I would've loved if they had been siblings rather than previously married. Even better if Will had been the doctor and Astrid the pilot and you started the game with Astrid.

I don't think they ever actually said it but there are many things that hint at it. The fact that they're divorced and estranged from each other. Sometimes ppl divorce each other after a loss of a child. The fact that Will said to Astrid that whatever she was upto wouldn't bring him (or was it her?) back. Then when Will is talking with Grey Mother he says that losing a child is like and GM finishes the sentence.

So it's implied that they had a child (not necessarily a baby) that died.

5 minutes ago, DreadWulfie said:

I don't think they ever actually said it but there are many things that hint at it. The fact that they're divorced and estranged from each other. Sometimes ppl divorce each other after a loss of a child. The fact that Will said to Astrid that whatever she was upto wouldn't bring him (or was it her?) back. Then when Will is talking with Grey Mother he says that losing a child is like and GM finishes the sentence.

So it's implied that they had a child (not necessarily a baby) that died.

Ok, that losing a child part bought me, i was wondering why will said that. Very good inferencing skills!

Lmao! You know, on any other forum I've been on, this discussion would have turned into a flame war by now. I would've seen the words stupid, idiot, your retarded (yes, I know it's you're not your, but I wouldn't have seen decent grammer.) But here we are, all civil and better informed. Thanks, you made an old man smile today.

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

Lmao! You know, on any other forum I've been on, this discussion would have turned into a flame war by now. I would've seen the words stupid, idiot, your retarded (yes, I know it's you're not your, but I wouldn't have seen decent grammer.) But here we are, all civil and better informed. Thanks, you made an old man smile today.

Dont get me wrong, we occassionally do get hostile on these forums but you're right, ive been part of this community for quite a while now and what keeps bringing me back is the lack of "toxicity" here.

People disagree, dispute, defend their opinions, but youll see its done quite maturely and out of passion for the game and not out of ignorance or hate and rarely goes too far.  Plus, move those same people to another thread and theyre agreeing, making jokes,  teaching each other new facts, (i once learned the difference between a clip and a magazine, and about different firewatch towers, and more.) its amazing.

So youre not the only one smiling today, at 19 years old i can surely tell you its refreshing to us too. Hinterlandforums is a nice escape from todays "trolls and haters"

So long story short, Hinterlandforums doesnt just make old men smile :).

only 19??? i would have swore at least twice that by your posts. i am on the high side of 50 and i often come to these forums even when i am not actively playing the game just to cool down from the immaturaty of folks on other forums. on one forum i am active on, even after the mod threatened to lock a topic, the name-calling and belittling continued. what made it worse was that some of the worse offenders were also born in the 1960s.

as for the original topic, i deduced that it was a lost child by the the second FMV. ( of course, i have yet to see a third due to the game crashing and wiping all my saves ). the kind of tension between Will and Astrid can only really exist in that kind of situation. i know this from both first hand and second hand experience. in most cases when a couple loses a child, each person tends to deal with the loss differently. here, Will turned to the bottle and a life of solitude as a bush pilot and Astrid dove into her work. this, of course, drove the couple apart even though they still love each other deeply. i have seen this happen with my parents and a close cousin, abd have actually been through it personally. i am fairly certain that at least one of the writers at hinterland has either had or witnessed a similar situation, as well, as i feel it would be difficult to get the emotional tension so accurate without at least second experience. i could see how someone without personal experience could miss the point, they would not immediately pick up on the situation like someone who does would. but i believe that is the point. since most people have not, or do not know someone who has lost a child, especially younger people, they would not immediately make the connection and have many of the same questions as the op.

@Thelek, interesting to hear you've been here a while. I dont recognize you from other posts. 

Im sorry to hear youve experienced this personally. I havent and its kind of sobering to see how it made the storytelling very different for the both of us; for me the source of tension was more mysterious and seemed to be left to future episodes to be elaborated on, but for you it was very real and quickly recognizable. 

Moving back to the topic, I think it definitely justifies them being married and co-protagonists. Although it did seem kind of cliché before i got to understand the story between the two that hinterland was trying to tell. 

6 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

@Thelek, interesting to hear you've been here a while. I dont recognize you from other posts. 

Im sorry to hear youve experienced this personally. I havent and its kind of sobering to see how it made the storytelling very different for the both of us; for me the source of tension was more mysterious and seemed to be left to future episodes to be elaborated on, but for you it was very real and quickly recognizable. 

Moving back to the topic, I think it definitely justifies them being married and co-protagonists. Although it did seem kind of cliché before i got to understand the story between the two that hinterland was trying to tell. 

i have been playing TLD sandbox alpha off and on for over 2 years, i believe. as you can tellby my " Pathfinder " rank in the forums, i do have many posts. most likely, we just have not been active at the same times.

edit: make that just under 2 years. i joined the forums in Sept 2015. and there was a period of about 6 months that i couldnt log in when they did a major overhaul of the forums

14 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

IMO we have a different type of person playing TLD than some of the other games. More think, less emotional outburst, as the weaker minded tend to want hand holding a bit more than you get here.

12 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Dont get me wrong, we occassionally do get hostile on these forums but you're right, ive been part of this community for quite a while now and what keeps bringing me back is the lack of "toxicity" here.

We sometimes do, other times our personalities conflict (my dark humor) but as stated above, I think we are not the typical "gamer" community. 

Back on topic, I figured the lost child when they where talking prior to the crash, Grey Mother just confirmed it. As Thelec said, once you have seen that and how it plays out, its hard to miss.

i am not sure, but i believe that i may have discovered proof of my theory that one or more of the writers may have at least second hand experience with Will and Astrid's situation. in the graveyard around the Church, there a lot of crosses, but 2 actual stones. both carry a name of a young man and birth and death years. both young men were 17 at the time of their passing. i have noticed that programers and writers often create easter eggs like this to honor someone they lost.

Archived