SERIOUSLY????

Thelek

TLD XB1 v.1.0. (31946)

after several restarts, i finally make it to the church. after spending the night, i grab everything useful, light a torch, and leave. there is a car and a wolf outside. i make a dash for the car and get inside. i find a few flares, cool. but my belly is making noises and that deer that the wolf is chewing onlooks awful tasty. so iget out of the car and throw my torch. it lands right between the wolf and carcass. the wolf takes off and i run up and quickly build a fire. only 4 lbs of meat, but it fills the void. i grab another torch and head on down the road. i just get to a pick up when the wolf reappears to get some payback for his stolen meal. we square off and i throw the torch. a perfect throw that beans him right between the eyes. but instead of running away like you would expect, he attacks. since my only weapon is a sharp sliver of metal i pulled from my own hand a few days ago, i quickly become the wolfs next meal. no biggie, just reload last save. as save is reloading, game crashes to the home screen. ok, just restart game. get to title screen and select "Wintermute" expecting to see a resume, new, and load menu. only option is new. went to sandbox to check my saves there... they are all gone. i restarted the game again, all saves gone. i shut off console and clear cache, restart console and game.... all saves still gone. seriously, folks, i am becoming more and more disappointed in this game every day. 

i think i will take a break from TLD for a couple weeks and hope you manage to get some semblance of a playable game again. this game was so much better a year ago than it is now.

I don't know this for sure, but I'm under the impression this is their first release ever. This release was pretty sloppy, and it's not just the bugs, either: in my region, the game disappeared from the Xbox One store. 

But like I said: give them some time to sort the mess. The game is pretty good. It just needs polishing. 

10 minutes ago, wintermute2029 said:

It feels like they set a deadline / ship date and held to it. But they didn't playtest it enough to get major bugs out. Such is the life of game development companies. Hopefully things stabilize over the coming weeks or it could really go bad for them.

Yep, shame. You'd think this dev has some decency but nope release broken game, take money quick and take their time fixing.

actually, The Long Dark has been out for XB1 for nearly 3 years, longer for PC on Steam. the release on 1 Aug was the first non-alpha release and the first to have story mode. many of us have been playing the sandbox alpha for a couple years now, play testing the game and ofering feedback. as i mentioned in my original post, it is my opinion that the version of the game we had at this time last year was far better than what we have now.

Just to clarify for the OP. The wolf on the deer and the wolf by the blue truck are two different wolves. The wolf by the blue truck is a jerk and will usually come right for you if it sees you when you leave the church.

In the event you decide to play again, I recommend crouching when leaving the church and going to the left around the back of the church. There is about 20 free cattails back there and another dead deer with no wolves attached to it.

Then go back into the church to save your game after harvesting the deer behind the church. 

Then I recommend crouching again, going behind the church again and just give that blue truck wolf a wide berth at least until you get to Milton, advance the story, heal up, and get the axe....then go back and kill that wolf if you wish....

5 hours ago, Thelek said:

... many of us have been playing the sandbox alpha for a couple years now, play testing the game and ofering feedback. ...

thats right, but Episode 1 & 2 seems to base at 2.xx , spiked with Elements of later versions. Im not shure if this combination tested under real conditions.

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

... I recommend crouching when leaving the church ...

You must crounch before leaving the church. The rest of your post i can subscribe. Most Times you can also avoid a fight, if you have enough stamina to run ...

6 minutes ago, TheBugfixer said:

You must crounch before leaving the church. The rest of your post i can subscribe. Most Times you can also avoid a fight, if you have enough stamina to run ...

That is what I meant, but thanks for clarifying for those who don't understand crouching....

8 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

That is what I meant, but thanks for clarifying for those who don't understand crouching....

He seems to be a new player. I guess we should give this people all help we can and i hope this hint (crounching before opening a door) was helpfull.

thanks for the advice on avoiding the wolves. i had already decided on that course of action before all my saves were wiped. i will play again, just not until thr patch comes through.

microsoft has been a thorn in hinterlands side from the begining. i remember one time waiting almost a week for a patch and once 3 days for a hot fix. i have notived a disturbing pattern at MS. i play a few other games that are also in constant flux with updates. some by small publishers like hinterland and others by large publishers like telltale and MS studios. the games by the large publishers have almost no wait time for their additional content. in fact, an update for the telltale game went live 4 days before even they expected. y'all can do the math and come up with your own answers.

1 hour ago, Thelek said:

thanks for the advice on avoiding the wolves. i had already decided on that course of action before all my saves were wiped. i will play again, just not until thr patch comes through.

microsoft has been a thorn in hinterlands side from the begining. i remember one time waiting almost a week for a patch and once 3 days for a hot fix. i have notived a disturbing pattern at MS. i play a few other games that are also in constant flux with updates. some by small publishers like hinterland and others by large publishers like telltale and MS studios. the games by the large publishers have almost no wait time for their additional content. in fact, an update for the telltale game went live 4 days before even they expected. y'all can do the math and come up with your own answers.

That's not cool. If it takes a certain amount of time for a patch to move through their process, then that should be that. Patches from big publishers shouldn't get preferential treatment. I hate Microsoft...

1 hour ago, Thelek said:

i play a few other games that are also in constant flux with updates. some by small publishers like hinterland and others by large publishers like telltale and MS studios. the games by the large publishers have almost no wait time for their additional content. in fact, an update for the telltale game went live 4 days before even they expected. y'all can do the math and come up with your own answers.

I believe the professional studios have resources allocated to front-load updates to speed the process along.  And calendars to remind themselves how deadlines work.  Perhaps even embedded MS techs monitoring multiple projects actually in-house.  They might even keep track of exactly what is being changed so their whole project doesn't need re-certification every time.  Maybe not.

The same thing happened to me yesterday, but much later, in episode 2 on the rifle repair mission, the game crashed out of nowhere and all my savings are gone! And tell me what the hell! My frustration was great, all the hours and the work I do to the game in the garbage, I wonder How the hell can you get such a broken game? 30 hours fucked At least I will not play this game in 1 month, I hope it is enough I play on PS4

How To Fix Your Missing Game Files (Xbox One), by Sashamorning

In the (unfortunately likely) event that you sign out of your game, come back later and find your save files missing, I suggest the following.  (NB: These are suggestions.  You do not have to follow them.  You've been warned.)

I have no idea if this has been posted elsewhere, but I've done this aboooouutt... 20 times (?) this week, including just now.

Step One: Scream, very loudly, OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!11!

Step Two: Throw controller across room.

Step Three: Pick up your second controller, since your first is now broken, and press the Guide Button.

Step Four: Go on The Long Dark, and press the Start Button for More Options.

Step Five: Go down to Manage Game.

Step Six: Go down to Saved Data.

Step Seven: Go to where your gamertag is (NOT "Delete all"), press the Start Button, and select "Deleted saved data."

Step Eight: Select "Delete from console" (FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S GOOD, GREEN, AND HOLY, DO ***NOT*** "DELETE EVERYWHERE.")

Step Nine: Go back into your game, and select yourself to resync your data with the servers.  Since your console doesn't have the saved data, it will download your last save from the server.

Step Ten: If your file is still not there (you can only start new games, not resume old ones), repeat process again.  This has happened to me on multiple occasions.

Step Eleven: Profit.

*I assume no responsibility for broken controllers.  If you actually threw a controller because someone on tha intarwebz told you to, there may not be much hope.

On 8/9/2017 at 7:30 PM, stan_marsh said:

They took our money and released a broken game as "stable" on consoles.
Now they tell us to wait while they fix the game lol

That's literally how every single company does it now though. Release the game with a bunch of bugs, hotfix it later. Can hardly blame Hinterland for the state of things.

6 hours ago, Sashamorning said:

How To Fix Your Missing Game Files (Xbox One), by Sashamorning

In the (unfortunately likely) event that you sign out of your game, come back later and find your save files missing, I suggest the following.  (NB: These are suggestions.  You do not have to follow them.  You've been warned.)

I have no idea if this has been posted elsewhere, but I've done this aboooouutt... 20 times (?) this week, including just now.

Step One: Scream, very loudly, OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!11!

Step Two: Throw controller across room.

Step Three: Pick up your second controller, since your first is now broken, and press the Guide Button.

Step Four: Go on The Long Dark, and press the Start Button for More Options.

Step Five: Go down to Manage Game.

Step Six: Go down to Saved Data.

Step Seven: Go to where your gamertag is (NOT "Delete all"), press the Start Button, and select "Deleted saved data."

Step Eight: Select "Delete from console" (FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S GOOD, GREEN, AND HOLY, DO ***NOT*** "DELETE EVERYWHERE.")

Step Nine: Go back into your game, and select yourself to resync your data with the servers.  Since your console doesn't have the saved data, it will download your last save from the server.

Step Ten: If your file is still not there (you can only start new games, not resume old ones), repeat process again.  This has happened to me on multiple occasions.

Step Eleven: Profit.

*I assume no responsibility for broken controllers.  If you actually threw a controller because someone on tha intarwebz told you to, there may not be much hope.

replaced step one with a muttered "SOBMFG". i have been working on anger management.

skipped dtep 2. see first line.

most of step 3 unnecessary, pressed guide button.

followed 4 thru 9.

my step 10: SOB!! IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!

step 11: make this post to thank SASHAMORNING for the great advice.

step 12: resume game from last save and play until the next major glitch stops me cold.

Archived