Can we get an option to turn off wolf aggression in storymode?

Pandemic

3 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

The wolves in story mode aren't a problem at all. I don't get it? Are you guys all just in this game for the Pilgrim mode, because imo, this game is boring without the danger element? Without the danger, it's just a walking sim with some interaction.

Some people quite enjoy the atmosphere of pilgrim, where you can spend a bit more time looking at the pretty sights with slightly less to worry about.

I personally like the wolves, just the number seems a little high, especailly for an old laptop where its a little harder to deal with them with low fps. This doesnt mean we have to change anybody elses experience however, so those who enjoy the legions of wolves arent threatened by this suggestion.

'Cause the topic is not asking to remove wolves from the default difficulty, but add a new one.

I personally like interloper wolves, far and few between but a huge threat. Makes encountering wolves more exciting and less annoying. Cause more is at stake yet. it happens less often.

23 hours ago, Kris-thepilgrim said:

1 Wolf directly after the cave (sometimes you can trow a torch at him and he runs away - but sometimes not.)

2 Wolfes at the church - one is eating a deer and will not finish eating (I slept in the church and the next day the wolf was still at the deer "eating") and another Wolf will wait at the car. I thought I was clever and started running, when I left the church and I ran directly to the other wolf who was waiting at the car on the street to get to me.

1 Wolf at the bridge - sometimes you can pass the bridge without gettting into the fight, sometimes you have to walk around the bridge but the chance is very little that the wolf will not attack you and again, torches are not always working.

When you enter the Town Milton at least 1 Wolf is in this town and hunting you through every house. Its useless to sleep in the house, when you leave the building, the wolf is still there and waiting for you.

And thats are only the wolfes I have seen and I am not really far in this game.

I like this game and I dont want to use Trainers and such things to go through it, but at this time its not possible for me to go on :(

If you read my post above with the spoiler and click on the spoiler, I have some tips to deal with the bridge wolf and wolves in general.

I can give you some pointers on the church wolf and town wolf too.

For the church wolf....the one by the car that seems to come straight for you if he sees you from the car (even when you don't have meat or guts on you), crouch before you come out of the church, and then go left and behind the church. Once behind the church stand up and go towards the frozen lake. Try to herd a deer or bunnies to the road near that car. Even if you fail with getting the wolf occupied on another animal, you can now just give him a wide berth....and go to town.

The one in town I see a lot wandering around and he'll eat bunnies. If he eats a bunny you have a few minutes at least before he'll follow you. If he keeps coming directly for you like the church wolf, you should crouch and ditch him. When you come out of buildings if you think he may be outside of crouch too. That should let you at least check where he is. He can't get you in cars and buildings. 

Lastly you are aware meat and guts give off scent that allows wolves to smell you from further away, right?

You can also bait wolves with meat you didn't finish eating, or guts that are not cured yet. You just drop the bait and then back up a bit to give the wolf room. The wolf SHOULD eat the bait and walk away. Fires and torches are not your only recourse. There is crouching and bait too.

That being said, wolf behavior...especially in the Story seems borked to some degree and should be patched, as they don't act the way the Sandbox trained us....

7 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

'Cause the topic is not asking to remove wolves from the default difficulty, but add a new one.

It is true that I was surprised there were no difficulty modes but, excluding sandbox, with most games even 'easy mode' has it's dangers. I can't even think of a game that lets you dismiss all danger.

With a flare or a torch, stand down a wolf and then turn around and walk away, don't look back, don't run, just keep walking. He'll only follow you as far as his patrol goes. Works almost every time for me. If you aggravate it though by throwing a torch which doesn't land quite right, you're going to get jumped. With a lit torch or flare, stand him down, turn around and just walk away. Try it. Save the game first and then go try it. Sometimes they surprise you and jump you out of nowhere and that happens to me too but I'm always able to get to safety to heal or I'm ready to stand him down and walk away if he doubles back to me.
That one Milton town wolf did follow me all the way to the garage but just kept following me and never attacked, then the other two wolves joined in. I stood all three of them down with a flare and slowly walked backwards until I got into the garage. I waited a bit and walked out the back door where they lost me and I was able to crouch away from them and they all went back to their patrols. Once you know where their patrol areas are, you have to do a lot of crouching to get through those. I crouched all the way down the tracks in FM. Took me awhile but I never got attacked once.

19 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

That being said, wolf behavior...especially in the Story seems borked to some degree and should be patched, as they don't act the way the Sandbox trained us....

Thats what I meant - in Sandbox I can survive even in stalkermode - kill a wolf and you have meat and a few days before he comes back. But in the storymode it seems, that there are endless wolfes - it doesnt matter if I kill a few, they are spawning right away after one is dead. I like your tips but is this a crouching game? I will never made it to the city and to Episode 1 if I have to crouch all the way.

As I wrote before, I dont mind wolfes, but their behaviour and the game mechanics are not, what I got used in sandbox mode. I ve found a trainer which gave me the chance to play the story - sadly I have to say it.

41 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

With a flare or a torch, stand down a wolf and then turn around and walk away, don't look back, don't run, just keep walking. He'll only follow you as far as his patrol goes. Works every time for me. If you aggravate it though by throwing a torch which doesn't land quite right, you're going to get jumped. With a lit torch or flare, stand him down, turn around and just walk away. Try it. Save the game first and then go try it. Sometimes they surprise you and jump you out of nowhere and that happens to me too but I'm always able to get to safety to heal or I'm ready to stand him down and walk away if he doubles back to me.

There are soooo many variables to wolves, like are you carrying stinky stuff, are you tired, are you injured or sick with an affliction, is it nighttime. It can be hard to predict their behavior in every circumstance.@SnowWalkergives good advice though, running from them makes them chase you, and sometimes it sets them off and they attack.

There is a how to deal with wolves in The Long Dark guide out there somewhere. I'd read it. One of the big pointers is don't panic, and never run. Only run if the wolf is a ways away and you are VERY close to a car or a shelter and you know you can open the door and get in before it gets you. Otherwise yes, just walk. While walking try to break line of sight by getting trees, elevated terrain, cars, and buildings between you and the wolf. Once you lost sight of it, crouch and go in a completely different direction and totally lose the wolf....or try to...

If you hide in a house, you need to sleep or pass time to make the wolf reset. Sometimes passing time doesn’t work...but I thought they were supposed to fix that. If you just go in the house and walk around for a minute and come back out, then yes it will often still be where you left it. If you come out without crouching first and immediately get jumped....that's on you. You crouch if you think a wolf is outside in this game.

Torches are not a guarantee, but it is often better to undershoot your throw than overshoot the wolf. If you undershoot, back up while trying to keep the torch on the ground between you and the wolf. If the wolf walks over the flaming part of the torch it will freak out and panic. Then go get the torch in case it wears off so you can do it again. This will not stop a wolf charge, so you need to be far enough away so it doesn't decide to charge you while approaching you or the torch....

Don't forget lighting a fire. Lighting a fire will scare a wolf, I believe even if it charges you. Once it gets close enough to the fire it panics and runs away. This even works while trying to light the fire. It doesn't have to be fully lit already...

1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

There are soooo many variables to wolves, like are you carrying stinky stuff, are you tired, are you injured, is it nighttime. It can be hard to predict their behavior in every circumstance.@SnowWalkergives good advice though, running from them makes them chase you, and sometimes it sets them off and they attack.

I haven't noticed that meat alerts the wolves if you're a fair distance away and are crouching. I don't like to carry if for long though either. I get it cooked and eat it asap. If I don't need food I don't take meat.

53 minutes ago, Kris-thepilgrim said:

Thats what I meant - in Sandbox I can survive even in stalkermode - kill a wolf and you have meat and a few days before he comes back. But in the storymode it seems, that there are endless wolfes - it doesnt matter if I kill a few, they are spawning right away after one is dead. I like your tips but is this a crouching game? I will never made it to the city and to Episode 1 if I have to crouch all the way.

As I wrote before, I dont mind wolfes, but their behaviour and the game mechanics are not, what I got used in sandbox mode. I ve found a trainer which gave me the chance to play the story - sadly I have to say it.

Nope it's not a crouching game, you only need to do it to get past wolves.....or don't and fight them, bait them, throw fire, or shoot them...

Lots of options, crouching is just one tool in the wolf toolbox.

They do need to patch the insta-despawning and insta-respawning of the wolves in Story mode though, as that is total BS....

Meat does affect them in Sandbox while crouching, I haven't done any tests in Story though....

5 minutes ago, Kris-thepilgrim said:

Yes lets hope that they do that - then you have a benefit when you fought a wolf, killed and harvested it and it needs time to get one wolf back.

Yes, I have complained about this several times in other threads already. As it stands now, there is no point in killing any wolves in Story mode....unless you need the meat AND manage to harvest it before it disappears. There is no way to thin the herd currently. If you kill any and then sleep, or quit and reload a save they all seem to insta-respawn immediately....

I reported this as a bug, everyone should.  The sandbox was supposed to let the devs and us test the features and for us to practice. Not much point in learning about wolf mechanics, if they wanted to change everything in Wintermute....

Also, they never posted a change log for any of the changes, so they never stated the wolves are supposed to spawn differently in Story mode...

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

Nope it's not a crouching game

Oh definitely not. Lot's of free walking and exploring. I was being extra careful on the way across the tracks because I hadn't been to FM in Wintermute yet. I could only see two wolves while going across though so I think it'll be a lot quicker on the way back now that I know. Unless the story throws something else at me that is.

On 8.8.2017 at 6:58 PM, SnowWalker said:

It is true that I was surprised there were no difficulty modes but, excluding sandbox, with most games even 'easy mode' has it's dangers. I can't even think of a game that lets you dismiss all danger.

I don't know - surviving against is enough of an enjoyable challenge *for me*, I don't need to be afraid of wolves to enjoy the game. Your mileage obviously varies, and that is fine, but that way I probably won't play story mode any further.

Today's patch has the wolves tuned and I will give it another try - hope it makes it more enjoyable *for me*.

Archived