Thank you for delivering on a promise

rla1974

On this eve of the launch of story mode, I was chatting with a friend who had originally brought the Long Dark Kickstarter campaign to my attention.  We went back to look at the original page and I remember being sold on the concept art.  Looking back on it now, I am impressed at how consistently the latest build has remained true to the original pitch.

I would love to see the more modern style gas station.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Yeah, I love the gas-station too. It'd be a fun design in game too, those snowbanks pushing all the way up almost to the ceiling of the forecourt canopy. The concept art is indicative of why The Long Dark works; it's because a studio began dreaming up a new story in a land they loved and had the bedrock of inspiration to build upon. Compare that to generic alien action-shooters where the concept art features critters only a hair's difference from Independence Day. This freedom an indie developer gets in not playing to the audience, in following their own dreams, makes for so much more a rewarding experience. It's like those good indie films you can go in and see safe in the knowledge that there isn't going to be, for example, a tired reference to Star Wars in the script, character beats or plot structure. 

Anyway, bless you for supporting this from the off and thus giving me the opportunity to enjoy Hinterland's vision. Wish I'd been in on the Kickstarter ground floor on this, but I like to think I'm making up for it with late-in-the-day giddy enthusiasm.

Yes, absolutely they have delivered above and beyond expectations on this.

From my little play of story-mode today, I am truly impressed with what they've achieved, the cut-scenes keeping with the lovely art-style of the game, and the great voice acting.

There might be things to sort out like early game balancing, and making sure players figure out the mechanics and the menus. Like a zillion people (mostly new players I guess) not being able to make rose-hip tea because it's hidden away in a sub-sub menu. And those wolves, wolves everywhere.But that's all minor stuff :)

Yes it's exceptional how good Hinterland has reached and maintained their goals. They even added and tweaked parts with feedback from the community while still staying in line to their own idea's. I can't wait to play it on my computer. :D

Archived