Two Critiques about Resolute Outfitter (spoiler)

cekivi

So, I'm having lots of fun exploring the muskeg. I find the whole map to be very desolate and it really conveys the abandoned feel. The openness, lack of cover and thin ice also really add to the map. However, I still have two critiques regarding the map as is:

• There is nowhere to cure hides/guts in the Spence Family Homestead. I really like the homestead's design and the numerous wolves in the area and the difficulty of getting to it definitely enhance the tension of using it as a base. However, the fact that the hides I'm harvesting are rotting because there's nowhere to cure them nearby is really unfortunate. Would it be possible to list the upstairs portion of the burnt out barn as "indoors" so that hides will cure there?
  • The two wrecked trains also add a lot of atmosphere to the map... but how the heck did they get there? That's actually true for most of the train cars in Mystery Lake too. It is implied (or at least I think it's implied) that the train wrecked when the event occurred. The track was clearly in operation when the event occurred as they were using the line to haul logs. Assuming that's true... what happened to the locomotive? A multicar wreck should have derailed the locomotive somewhere in the muskeg even if it is mostly submerged. Secondly, if the line was in operation, how was a poacher able to use one of the wrecked boxcars as a makeshift hunting camp? If the wreck was old was the line abandoned? If so, how were trains still able to use it? If it wasn't old was this poacher a strangely ethical post-apocalypse survivor who was guilty about hunting? The wreckage and the way point names associated with it just seem out of sync with the larger narrative much like the cargo plane crash timeline (indicating a Fall event) and the presence of ice fishing huts (necessitating a Winter event)

As a whole the update is awesome but it would be nice to see these two areas addressed.

19 minutes ago, cekivi said:

There is nowhere to cure hides/guts in the Spence Family Homestead

There are caves near that you can cure hides and guts. 

I am also intrigued by the items in the environment and how they arrived it that circumstance.  My only theory is that the story spans across a full season and events will lead us around the map.  So maybe the rail line offers some temporary transportation early in the season.  The broken ground and fallen trees are suggesting to me an earthquake event happens.

The Muskeg area is a strange one. The way the some of the houses are sunken in suggests they got slowly bogged down in the swamp, so that would have taken a long time. I guess that's why they call it the 'old' Spencer farm.

I was thinking the broken rails would have a similar explanation, yet the train cars look just as much in use as any we've seen so far. At the same time, there's clearly a sizeable logging operation going on in this area, but where did all these people live?

That being said, if you think about it, none of the logging areas have the necessery heavy equipment to handle these large logs, so let's not start overthinking things too much; after all, it's supposed to be a game, so a few licences with reality ought to be allowed for.

Other areas do suggest an earthquake though: remember the ravine, and all the roads being broken up or obstructed by rubble. Also, houses all over the place have burnt down. So clearly we're not just talking merely about a geomagnetic event sending a worldwide electromagnetic pulse. That wouldn't cause mountain passes to cave in or roads to break up and crumble (oddly Timberwolf Mountain seems least affected by the earthquake).

Hat creek cave is a good spot,  at the base of the waterfall. there is a wolf near the shortwave tower close by,  but once he's  dealt with the cave is pretty sweet,  theres a cliff you can walk/climb next to the stream that brings you up to marsh ridge,  deer rabbits, a curing cave,  a fir patch and sometimes saplings. Plus the hat creek cave has lots of  coal. So if you deal with wolves,  you can keep a good run going between there and the homestead.  

14 hours ago, Greenfoot_away said:

Hat creek cave is a good spot,  at the base of the waterfall. there is a wolf near the shortwave tower close by,  but once he's  dealt with the cave is pretty sweet,  theres a cliff you can walk/climb next to the stream that brings you up to marsh ridge,  deer rabbits, a curing cave,  a fir patch and sometimes saplings. Plus the hat creek cave has lots of  coal. So if you deal with wolves,  you can keep a good run going between there and the homestead.  

Yeah, I've been going to the various caves in order to cure hides and have a warmer place to sleep. I'm just getting tired of all the backtracking ;)

Archived