Eat your vegetables!

jak522

I think that our survivor should be able to get the afflictions like scurvy for an example, which would add more of a challenge and the need to eat different types of food instead of surviving off of just rabbits, venison and fish, 3 types of meat, or all just candy bars, pop(Midwestern word for soda) and other canned stuff. Even though we have rose hips for tea and cattails, I think the foraging for plants should be a more major part of the game, especially farther in the game when you start to run out of tomato soup and peaches. Some items as an example could be pine needle tea, (vitamin C), Watercress, highbush cranberries, etc. I also would suggest an inclusion of vitamins as something you can find, like the water purification tablets, antibiotics and painkillers.

Also, I know about the whole all meat diet things of native people around the world, but our character is a person who is from a modern world where you can buy anything you want from a store, even in the bush, he's/she's an outdoorsy pilot.

Feel free to tell me your thoughts

2 hours ago, Dandy Platypus said:

i dont think you'd be able to find many wild berries.

Well, maybe not in the middle of winter, but we do know seasons are a thing that Hinterland is working on. And considering the wide variety of berries that grow in Canada, and in particular BC, there would be tons of berry types to choose from during their various seasons.

18 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I totally agree with this, but I don't know if cranberries are available during the winter, but otherwise very good idea

I did do a little research, and on one website it said that all those things do grow in winter :)

While a good idea the difficulty is fresh fruits and vegetables are just not available during the Canadian winter. They have to be grown and stored beforehand.

Historically, spruce root/needle tea was used by the aboriginal peoples to prevent scurvy in the winter. There are accounts of East Coast tribes showing European traders and explorers how to make the tea so they would stop dying in the winter.

47 minutes ago, cekivi said:

While a good idea the difficulty is fresh fruits and vegetables are just not available during the Canadian winter. They have to be grown and stored beforehand.

Historically, spruce root/needle tea was used by the aboriginal peoples to prevent scurvy in the winter. There are accounts of East Coast tribes showing European traders and explorers how to make the tea so they would stop dying in the winter.

Hi, I did do research, and I do realize that there isn't a ton of stuff available in Canada in winter, but I did find a few things that were consistent as forage in my sources, like burdock (wild rhubarb), chickweed, watercress, acorns and wild onion; Not to mention the things already implemented, like rose hips and cattails! Why not add more stuff to a small game mechanic? I also believe that this could be extremely useful in the far future spring sandbox, which would most likely would have higher aggression levels of animals because of baby season, making it more difficult to get meat.

Oh, also I was thinking of some kind of canned veggies too, like canned green beans or mixed veggies (the traditional corn, peas and carrots)

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2013/02/15/wild-winter-edibles-10-foods-you-can-find-outside-now/

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/edible-wild-plants

http://www.survivalpunk.com/10-winter-wild-edibles/

https://www.efoodsdirect.com/blog/winter-foraging-cold-weather-edibles-that-could-save-your-life/

Oh boy, like i said yes yes yes pine needle tea labrador tea,  collecting  berries in spring and preserving them some way in order to prevent scurvy, Season! Season! Season! go Hinterland,  Seasons would make The long dark  3 times better then it is:) and it pretty dangggg good. I im sure this will make 3 times the work for the developers, but we are all cheering for them!!!! and they haven't let us down yet!      Hinterland keep up the great work!!!

Pleasant Valley farm clearly has an orchard, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to find stored apples in the basement or other random refrigerators. There are a number of varieties that store for longer periods of time before softening and going bad. Along with that, or alternatively, it wouldn't be unreasonable to find homemade, canned applesauce around.

Of course, I would also love to see seasons and fresh foods and want to use the basements as root cellars.

While

22 hours ago, jak522 said:

Hi, I did do research, and I do realize that there isn't a ton of stuff available in Canada in winter, but I did find a few things that were consistent as forage in my sources, like burdock (wild rhubarb), chickweed, watercress, acorns and wild onion; Not to mention the things already implemented, like rose hips and cattails!

Careful with your sources. Watercress is not a North American plant and burdock is an invasive species. While it is in Canada the site I found indicated that it was more often found in the southern portions of the country. Depending on how far north the game is set the plant likely wouldn't survive. The other difficulty with most of the plants listed is unless you knew where they were growing you wouldn't be able to find them under the snow and ice.

Again, not to say it's a bad idea. Diversity of game play is always a good idea. But treatments should also be kept simple like getting vitamin C from Labrador and spruce root tea.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

While

Careful with your sources. Watercress is not a North American plant and burdock is an invasive species. While it is in Canada the site I found indicated that it was more often found in the southern portions of the country. Depending on how far north the game is set the plant likely wouldn't survive. The other difficulty with most of the plants listed is unless you knew where they were growing you wouldn't be able to find them under the snow and ice.

Again, not to say it's a bad idea. Diversity of game play is always a good idea. But treatments should also be kept simple like getting vitamin C from Labrador and spruce root tea.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

I really like the idea of finding stored apples in the basement of the Pleasant Valley homestead. Or, even, applesauce. That would add some variety regardless of whether a balanced diet was a requirement of the game. And, if you limit the apples(or sauce) to that one location, you could force players to make a trip there occasionally to stock up. On top of that, you already have canned peaches, reishi tea, and rose hips to give you a little bit of produce in your diet. With a little bit of tweaking to how often you find those, it would definitely be possible to balance your diet. 

On 12/21/2016 at 10:07 AM, jak522 said:

I think that our survivor should be able to get the afflictions like scurvy or divirculitis(a disease from not having enough fiber in your diet) for an example, which would add more of a challenge and the need to eat different types of food instead of surviving off of just rabbits, venison and fish, 3 types of meat, or all just candy bars, pop(Midwestern word for soda) and other canned stuff. Even though we have rose hips for tea and cattails, I think the foraging for plants should be a more major part of the game, especially farther in the game when you start to run out of tomato soup and peaches. Some items as an example could be pine needle tea, (vitamin C), Watercress, highbush cranberries, etc. I also would suggest an inclusion of vitamins as something you can find, like the water purification tablets, antibiotics and painkillers.

Also, I know about the whole all meat diet things of native people around the world, but our character is a person who is from a modern world where you can buy anything you want from a store, even in the bush, he's/she's an outdoorsy pilot.

Feel free to tell me your thoughts!

Reading from the points, I see the following as afflictions:

-Scurvy

-Diverticulitis

Furthermore, I see some of the logic in which you wish to see those implemented. However, there are several points in which these would be difficult to translate into the game.

Scurvy, as defined by Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions is as follows: "severe ascorbic acid deficiency." Ascorbic Acid = Vitamin C. Rose Hips are used as natural sources of vitamin C as per webmd. Furthermore, Vitamin C can be consumed through various animals that can produce Vitamin C through their liver ( e.g. Deer).

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-839-ROSE HIP.aspx?activeIngredientId=839&activeIngredientName=ROSE HIP

Moose, extant specials (or cousin) of in game deer, self produce ascorbic acid in their liver and, when cooked, still retains 38% of Vitamin C daily recommendation in a 100g serving.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/ethnic-foods/8109/2

Diverticulitis, as defined by Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions is as follows: "inflammation of one of more diverticula." To dig deeper, a diverticulum is "a pouchlike herniation through the muscular wall of a tubular organ." Which can be found in most places of the gastrointestinal tract, but mostly the colon.

Furthermore, treatment as described in the dictionary include: bed rest, IV fluids, antibiotics, and abstaining from eating and drinking.

In the 9th edition of Medical-Surgical Nursing Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems by Lewis, Dirksen, Heitkemper, and Bucher state "diverticulitis is characterized by inflamed diverticula and increased luminal pressures that cause erosion of the bowel wall, and thus perforation into the peritoneum." Most people never develop this and that the diverticula are more common in older adults. Given our sandbox character is more than likely in the 20's to 40's, this disease process takes a very long time. Lastly, the at risk population listed are Western, industrialized populations consuming a "low in fiber and high in refined carbohydrates."

I agree that fiber may be necessary as part of our diet, but in the event an in-game perforation and fecal matter makes it into the peritoneum, we're pretty much at the hands of the devs.

Additionally, diverticulitis typically occurs at 60 and over and is uncommon under 40 by the following link.

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/10750916

TL;DR:

Vitamin C as a "need" is negated through in game foods as it is; Diverticulitis is rare, and does not fit with the age group portrayed in game thus far. The likelihood that this affliction to occur more than once per 6,500~ gameplays (if 75 per 100,000 US citizens per year, and ~20% being under 40 years of age).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24387341

3 hours ago, SleepyWolf said:

Reading from the points, I see the following as afflictions:

-Scurvy

-Diverticulitis

Furthermore, I see some of the logic in which you wish to see those implemented. However, there are several points in which these would be difficult to translate into the game.

Scurvy, as defined by Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions is as follows: "severe ascorbic acid deficiency." Ascorbic Acid = Vitamin C. Rose Hips are used as natural sources of vitamin C as per webmd. Furthermore, Vitamin C can be consumed through various animals that can produce Vitamin C through their liver ( e.g. Deer).

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-839-ROSE HIP.aspx?activeIngredientId=839&activeIngredientName=ROSE HIP

Moose, extant specials (or cousin) of in game deer, self produce ascorbic acid in their liver and, when cooked, still retains 38% of Vitamin C daily recommendation in a 100g serving.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/ethnic-foods/8109/2

Diverticulitis, as defined by Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions is as follows: "inflammation of one of more diverticula." To dig deeper, a diverticulum is "a pouchlike herniation through the muscular wall of a tubular organ." Which can be found in most places of the gastrointestinal tract, but mostly the colon.

Furthermore, treatment as described in the dictionary include: bed rest, IV fluids, antibiotics, and abstaining from eating and drinking.

In the 9th edition of Medical-Surgical Nursing Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems by Lewis, Dirksen, Heitkemper, and Bucher state "diverticulitis is characterized by inflamed diverticula and increased luminal pressures that cause erosion of the bowel wall, and thus perforation into the peritoneum." Most people never develop this and that the diverticula are more common in older adults. Given our sandbox character is more than likely in the 20's to 40's, this disease process takes a very long time. Lastly, the at risk population listed are Western, industrialized populations consuming a "low in fiber and high in refined carbohydrates."

I agree that fiber may be necessary as part of our diet, but in the event an in-game perforation and fecal matter makes it into the peritoneum, we're pretty much at the hands of the devs.

Additionally, diverticulitis typically occurs at 60 and over and is uncommon under 40 by the following link.

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/10750916

TL;DR:

Vitamin C as a "need" is negated through in game foods as it is; Diverticulitis is rare, and does not fit with the age group portrayed in game thus far. The likelihood that this affliction to occur more than once per 6,500~ gameplays (if 75 per 100,000 US citizens per year, and ~20% being under 40 years of age).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24387341

Thanks for the in depth examination of the diseases, I was just quickly coming up with a reason to add more forage/vegetables to make it a little more necessary!

4 hours ago, jak522 said:

Thanks for the in depth examination of the diseases, I was just quickly coming up with a reason to add more forage/vegetables to make it a little more necessary!

Focus on scurvy. During the fur trade various trappers died of "rabbit starvation". Essentially, eating only lean meat will give you scurvy and protein poisoning and one of those will kill you.

Archived