too many wolves in interloper

dbldrew

So I thought the animal respawns in interloper was reduced? So far for me the wolf respawns have been more it seems.

On my current run I decided to make the Gas station my home base after I forged my hatchet, knife and arrow heads. I had dropped off some maple, birch and gut to cure before I made the trip out to DP so I could craft a bow and arrows first thing after forging. So after I forged my bow and arrows I killed the 3 wolves that liked to circle the gas station.

I put the pelts in to cure and headed to jack rabbit island to set up some traps. On the way out I shot a deer and harvested it. So the next day after I set traps I headed back to drop off some deer meat and the hide and guts to cure at the gas station I killed 2 more wolves by the gas station. Spent the night at the gs and then headed back to check my traps.. spent a few days there collecting rabbit pelts before heading back to the gas station.. killed another wolf roaming around the gas station once I got back.

Spent several days crafting deer pants, boots and going out fishing and every other day there seemed to be another wolf to kill. At one point I had 5 cured pelts, 6 dead wolves that I didnt even harvest around the gas station, 2 more wolves that had arrows stuck in them that ran off that I didnt track down yet.. and 4 more wolves roaming around the pier area.

I'm not sure if I was just unlucky with random spawns or if this is a game design, but if this is a game design then its a dumb one..

the other thing is I was keeping raw fish and venison outside my door so it would keep longer. So im not sure if raw food outside attracts wolves? Because if that is the case then I think that is actually a good design.. although I think they should eat the food left outside if that is the case.

So any info on if raw food causes more wolf spawns?

This wasnt interloper difficulty, but Ive had as much as seven wolves outside the gas station at one time! (I counted while sneaking around cause i didnt have much ammo) I was on stalker and 4 of them came at me at once and I was totally doomed cause im not a fast clicker haha. 

From my experience with interloper I never saw that many wolves but once they detect you I found it almost impossible to get them to run away long enough to leave their sight before they resumed chasing me because instead of running as far away as they could from me theyd run around close by unaffected by where I was.

The wolves are just a really annoying game feature.. the only way to fight off a wolf attack is to button mash and you are guaranteed death if your health is low enough.

And then once you get a bow they get easy its just not a good game feature as they are. There needs to be a more interactive game feature to fighting them off.. make a spear or be able to swing a hatchet or even branch while it is jumping you.. there is just nothing you can do but fall over and button mash

I've died a lot of times in interloper from wolves attack before getting the rhythm. They're not too much, the gas station is just a very crowded area. Camping there has consequences!

5 hours ago, dbldrew said:

The wolves are just a really annoying game feature.. the only way to fight off a wolf attack is to button mash and you are guaranteed death if your health is low enough.

And then once you get a bow they get easy its just not a good game feature as they are. There needs to be a more interactive game feature to fighting them off.. make a spear or be able to swing a hatchet or even branch while it is jumping you.. there is just nothing you can do but fall over and button mash

No. The devs have already said that they don't want to do an action game. It's pretty clear if you look at the game. If you have low condition you're taking a risk and be more cautious, you can pretty much always avoid wolves if you know the environment. If you don't... don't hand around in low condition :)

24 minutes ago, togg said:

I've died a lot of times in interloper from wolves attack before getting the rhythm. They're not too much, the gas station is just a very crowded area. Camping there has consequences!

No. The devs have already said that they don't want to do an action game. It's pretty clear if you look at the game. If you have low condition you're taking a risk and be more cautious, you can pretty much always avoid wolves if you know the environment. If you don't... don't hand around in low condition :)

so maybe we should get rid of hunting then? because that is too "action" make it so its just like fishing.. you sitting there doing nothing and maybe a screen will pop up saying you killed a deer? sounds great! 

give me a break.. the devs have created a wolf fighting mechanic. its just not a good one. if they feel its too "action" to fight wolves then why do they have wolves attack you and make you fight them? 

1 hour ago, dbldrew said:

so maybe we should get rid of hunting then? because that is too "action" make it so its just like fishing.. you sitting there doing nothing and maybe a screen will pop up saying you killed a deer? sounds great! 

give me a break.. the devs have created a wolf fighting mechanic. its just not a good one. if they feel its too "action" to fight wolves then why do they have wolves attack you and make you fight them? 

No, wait. We already fight with wolves like this:

1) We choose when to go out.

2) We watch our clothes for protection. We carry decoy. We carry the weapons deciding with weight etc.

3) We listen and look to the environment.

4) If we spot a wolf we decide wich strategy is better. How and if avoid confrontation at all cost.

5) If we are runned down we start to confront them at eyes level, decide if it's worth it to waste a flare etc.

6) In the end if we failed all of the steps before we have to just put our phisical energy to reduce the damages.

This is the fight. It already works, it can be improved of course but it will never become as skyrim! If you think about the movements this is not a good game to have some kind of melee action. What exactly are you looking for? The animation fight with wolves was a little bit more complex before and they've actually reduced it, it was a good choice, it didn't add anything.

I like shooting wolves with the bow. In my last couple of runs the wolf packs do not seem to have respawned in Coastal Highway so the first pass through after crafting the bow/arrows is the highpoint of the whole game. It's possible to kill 12+ wolves in a couple of days. Unfortunately you can't do this anywhere else.

Less wolves? I hope not.

The wolf struggle is the consequence of missing or of using bad strategy and being surprised. If you don't like it now I suspect you are really going to hate it in the future. However, it does get a little tedious and predictable and it would be good if there were some alternative means to fight wolves at close quarters.

6 hours ago, togg said:

No, wait. We already fight with wolves like this:

1) We choose when to go out.

2) We watch our clothes for protection. We carry decoy. We carry the weapons deciding with weight etc.

3) We listen and look to the environment.

4) If we spot a wolf we decide wich strategy is better. How and if avoid confrontation at all cost.

5) If we are runned down we start to confront them at eyes level, decide if it's worth it to waste a flare etc.

6) In the end if we failed all of the steps before we have to just put our phisical energy to reduce the damages.

This is the fight. It already works, it can be improved of course but it will never become as skyrim! If you think about the movements this is not a good game to have some kind of melee action. What exactly are you looking for? The animation fight with wolves was a little bit more complex before and they've actually reduced it, it was a good choice, it didn't add anything.

Basically all you have listed is how to avoid fighting them.

Which I do all the time. Most of the time when I get killed by a wolf its because I crested a small hill and a wolf it right there that I didnt see and it lunged and I was down before I have a chance to even drop bait.

I can swing a burning torch to scare them away so why is it such a problem to time a swing with the torch to actually hit it when it is jumping? Or use the hatchet to swing? If you miss the swing then you can button mash like normal. Its not much of a change and if you love to button mash then just dont swing the hatchet/torch/branch etc and wait for it to jump on you and button mash away..

6 hours ago, dbldrew said:

Basically all you have listed is how to avoid fighting them.

Which I do all the time. Most of the time when I get killed by a wolf its because I crested a small hill and a wolf it right there that I didnt see and it lunged and I was down before I have a chance to even drop bait.

I can swing a burning torch to scare them away so why is it such a problem to time a swing with the torch to actually hit it when it is jumping? Or use the hatchet to swing? If you miss the swing then you can button mash like normal. Its not much of a change and if you love to button mash then just dont swing the hatchet/torch/branch etc and wait for it to jump on you and button mash away..

Well, it will simply not work wor this game. That's why they haven't done it yet. I like melee, I'm not against it. I don't play only TLD.

If you think about it we only have ranged weapons, and tools that gives us the same approach that I've layed out. You can swing something to make some kind of thinking choice, "I hope the wolf will run away from my torch, I hope I'm close enough to my shelter" but this isn't melee at all. Melee needs so many other stuff and a completelly different approach to phisics damage etc etc

The point in TLD is that avoid the fight *is* the fight because wolves are supposed to be conceptually stronger than you no matter what. You're searching something in the game that is not here by design. I'm not saying they will not change anything, but if you look at the road map you can only see another long range weapons (revolver).

I also died on small hills, the solution is to reach higher grounds in dangerous area to have a better view first. You aren't supposed to just "fix" this by having some hatchet swing button before the smashing fight.

4 hours ago, togg said:

Well, it will simply not work wor this game. That's why they haven't done it yet. I like melee, I'm not against it. I don't play only TLD.

If you think about it we only have ranged weapons, and tools that gives us the same approach that I've layed out. You can swing something to make some kind of thinking choice, "I hope the wolf will run away from my torch, I hope I'm close enough to my shelter" but this isn't melee at all. Melee needs so many other stuff and a completelly different approach to phisics damage etc etc

The point in TLD is that avoid the fight *is* the fight because wolves are supposed to be conceptually stronger than you no matter what. You're searching something in the game that is not here by design. I'm not saying they will not change anything, but if you look at the road map you can only see another long range weapons (revolver).

I also died on small hills, the solution is to reach higher grounds in dangerous area to have a better view first. You aren't supposed to just "fix" this by having some hatchet swing button before the smashing fight.

Im sorry but just saying that it wont work is not a reason. And saying that the devs haven’t done it is also not a reason, the game is in alpha there is tons of content they haven’t done yet.

Yes melee will need physics and damage, its 2016 if the devs cant do physics and damage then they are in the wrong business. To assume that they cant is kind of absurd (and probably a little insulting to them)

43 minutes ago, dbldrew said:

Im sorry but just saying that it wont work is not a reason. And saying that the devs haven’t done it is also not a reason, the game is in alpha there is tons of content they haven’t done yet.

Yes melee will need physics and damage, its 2016 if the devs cant do physics and damage then they are in the wrong business. To assume that they cant is kind of absurd (and probably a little insulting to them)

Can I ask you what do you like in the game so far? The 3D graphics?

57 minutes ago, togg said:

Can I ask you what do you like in the game so far? The 3D graphics?

What I like the most in the game is the huge potential this game has. I understand its still in alpha and is a work in progress but this game could be epic when done..

I don't have a problem with the amount of wolves on interloper!  They are easy enough to avoid once you get a feel for where they are likely to be.

I NEVER stay at the quanset hut in the coastal village after I loot it the first time! You're just asking to be attacked by a wolf there!! Unless you are really good at hunting and that's your intention, I'd find another place to call home.

If I need to craft something more substantial than mittens, I'll haul my stuff to Desolation Point, or Mystery Lake Cabin so I can craft in peace without worrying about there being a wolf right outside the door. (like there is so often at the quanset hut)

The more I play interloper......... the less I find wrong with it!! ............ It's absolutely awesome!! Great Job Devs!!

2 hours ago, dbldrew said:

What I like the most in the game is the huge potential this game has. I understand its still in alpha and is a work in progress but this game could be epic when done..

I don't want to sound rude but... this is not the game you're looking for and probably never will be entirelly. Don't wait for something that will likelly never happens.

Maybe their next one who knows!

The biggest problem I have with them is that they really are not challenging and just really more of an annoyance.

It is really easy to get around wolves, if you see one then just crouch walk at a snails pace to get past them, which is super easy and super boring (and completely unrealistic)

if one is charging you then just drop some bait and back up then they grab the bait and run off, which is super easy and super boring.

If you have the bow, just drop some bait and shoot it before it grabs the bait, which is super easy and super boring

the problem is that to make the game harder they just flood it with wolves and it just makes it more irritating rather then challenging.

The only time I get killed by wolves is if I surprise one up close and its one me before I have time to do anything. Which can happen quite a bit with so many in the game. But that is just a random death, might as well add in heart attacks if you want a random death to make the game harder.. just walking around and next step you die of a heart attack.

Wolves need to be an actual challenge, make them tougher to deal with and make less of them,

8 minutes ago, togg said:

I don't want to sound rude but... this is not the game you're looking for and probably never will be entirelly. Don't wait for something that will likelly never happens.

Maybe their next one who knows!

The game is in alpha neither one of us have a clue on what the game will be when finished. All im doing is giving feedback on the game, thats the point of playing games in Alpha, they want feedback. If all they wanted was an echo chamber then there is no reason to release the game..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived