Add a save button

Rifleman

Well, that's good. We dont need to save for any reason. Bedroll is your current "save" system.

Players would abuse the save system a lot if they could save their game whenever they wanted. For example, you saved your file, 5 seconds later, you accidentally opened fire, attracting multiple wolves to investigate the sound, no worries, quit the game, reload the savefile and continue without having the gun on your hands to avoid the same mistake.

It can be abused a lot. It's super fine the way it is now.

7 hours ago, Kyopaxa said:

I wonder how difficult would be to just force auto save to happen always before the game closes, even when pressing ALT+F4. I think that would solve any player abuse of the save system and will remove the necessity of any save button.

Not really. Alt f4 basically deprives the application of working memory and forces it to shut down. There's very little an application can do to counter it, unless of course we start talking about malware, but that's a different kettle of fish that opens up a whole new can of worms.

11 hours ago, EternityTide said:

Not really. Alt f4 basically deprives the application of working memory and forces it to shut down. There's very little an application can do to counter it, unless of course we start talking about malware, but that's a different kettle of fish that opens up a whole new can of worms.

I think it really can be done. For example, when you open MS Word, type something and press ALT+F4, it is not forced to shut down. Instead it shows a dialog asking if you want to save your work before closing. Cancelling the dialog leaves the application open.

On 9/18/2016 at 5:43 PM, thekillergreece said:

Well, that's good. We dont need to save for any reason. Bedroll is your current "save" system.

Players would abuse the save system a lot if they could save their game whenever they wanted. For example, you saved your file, 5 seconds later, you accidentally opened fire, attracting multiple wolves to investigate the sound, no worries, quit the game, reload the savefile and continue without having the gun on your hands to avoid the same mistake.

It can be abused a lot. It's super fine the way it is now.

Whats so good about it ? And it has nothing to do with abuse. There is not a single save system that cannot be exploited(and one of tLD is no exception, i can just copy/paste autosave files and reload to any previously saved point). Question is more in comfort of usage and i find manual saving feature to be better than auto-save by a mile. Preferable to have both.

5 hours ago, Kyopaxa said:

I think it really can be done. For example, when you open MS Word, type something and press ALT+F4, it is not forced to shut down. Instead it shows a dialog asking if you want to save your work before closing. Cancelling the dialog leaves the application open.

It can be done but, yet again, it would be pointless. Unless Hinterland would find a way to create saves without creating save files, ALT-F4 or not, it matter none, i can, if i want to just reload any previously manually saved game. It would merely make saving a bit more tedious, but thats about it.

And pls dont give me crap about cloud saves or something similar, its nonsense and if devs would want to kill their game, its the way to go.

In general those ideas are similar to DRM - they give absolutely nothing positive to legit players, usually causing only problems(like new flagship of that junkyard by the name of Denuvo, that is known to cause serious problem for gamers that have games infected by that crap), while solely benefiting game publishers. Its especially "lovely" when servers/services are being discontinued and games become unplayable because they cant authenticate and pirates, yet again, get the last laugh(since cracked games continue to work).

Same here, those who wannt to have backups saves will have them. Rest get to "enjoy new and improved" saving system that will most likely have its own host of problems, like corrupt saves tanking months worth of progress, with no backup.

Manual save will be abused a lot and grant unfair advantages to players who could srew up something later, a location very far from his home and resort to load to his last location, not in his home.

Imagine consoles not having manual saves, that way the exploit (Copy paste save files) wouldnt exist. The save system now is perfectly fine. If only it would be added, it should be for Pligrim only.

9 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

Manual save will be abused a lot and grant unfair advantages to players who could srew up something later, a location very far from his home and resort to load to his last location, not in his home.

Imagine consoles not having manual saves, that way the exploit (Copy paste save files) wouldnt exist. The save system now is perfectly fine. If only it would be added, it should be for Pligrim only.

Every time the player screws up the game auto saves for you.

16 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

It can be done but, yet again, it would be pointless. Unless Hinterland would find a way to create saves without creating save files, ALT-F4 or not, it matter none, i can, if i want to just reload any previously manually saved game. It would merely make saving a bit more tedious, but thats about it.

It still would be better for me, never perfect of course, but better. So, let's say they implement save on quit. What is the problem?

16 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

And pls dont give me crap about cloud saves or something similar, its nonsense and if devs would want to kill their game, its the way to go.

Yeah I totally discarded that crap and that's why I never mentioned it.

7 hours ago, Kyopaxa said:

It still would be better for me, never perfect of course, but better. So, let's say they implement save on quit. What is the problem?

How bout we then make it perfect ? Disable any "neutral" saves(sleeping and entering/exiting) and make game only save on negative events. Perfect, no space for exploitation left of any kind, even if you reload or backups saves, youre still screwed, in one way or another.

And save on quit would make things way 2 simple, we dont want that - you get bored on have to go away and you simply save game by quitting, where is fun in that. Again, 2 easy to exploit. Its a big no-no. I believe that purpose of your changes to saving system is no make player life as challenging(altho some may say annoying) as possible, and save-on-exit is counterproductive on that part.

I really don't think the save system needs this kind of change. It's a single player game, and there aren't even Steam leader boards anymore, so I really don't care if someone is keeping a folder of backup saves, save scumming, or otherwise finding a way to get back to a "good save" when things go wrong for them. That's their problem, not mine, and I shouldn't have to deal with a new, more annoying or complicated save system because someone, somewhere was exploiting the old one. I mean, who cares? The only person they were exploiting was themselves.

All I want is a simple, reliable save system so that I can walk away from the game when real life interrupts me and know that I'm not losing hours of progress, and I know where the game will resume, which is what we have now. Yeah, I suppose I could go through the bother of keeping a folder of save files, but that's not how I play, and I don't want to be punished for what others choose to do. I would understand the need for these kinds of changes if it was a competitive or multiplayer game, but not in pure single player.

3 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

How bout we then make it perfect ? Disable any "neutral" saves(sleeping and entering/exiting) and make game only save on negative events. Perfect, no space for exploitation left of any kind, even if you reload or backups saves, youre still screwed, in one way or another.

I am not trying to solve the whole "going back" thing as it is not 100% solvable, because you would still be able to backup saves even if they were screwed saves. No, what I am trying to do is reduce the amount of situations where you can actually go back by just closing the game and reopen (no save folder backup needed).

By suggesting save on close in this topic, I am not only offering a suggestion for the save system that @Rifleman is asking, but also for reducing the ability to go back without tampering save files outside the game. Because, what is the first action somebody needs to do to "go back" in game? Close the game. Then, just add a save there and you just won't close the game anymore with the intention to go back. Again, never solvable 100% (you can kill the process in Task Manager, backup saves, etc), but better imho as going back becomes something external to the game and way more annoying.

Example: A bear, 3 wolves and 10 killer bunnies charge at you. Would you close the game if you knew it will be saved at that very moment? (and also as I suggest in another post, a saved screwed outcome will happen anyway if you reopen it). I know I wouldn't.

Example 2: You exit your cozy hut in a sunny day and stretch out when suddenly a tornado appears and sucks you 1000 meters up. Would you close the game if you knew it will be saved at that moment? I know I wouldn't.

@Kyopaxa It all depends on person personal preferences(to reload or not to reload and go on as is) and your proposition wont really solve anything. From purely practical standpoint it adds nothing to the game and wont address backuping save situation in any way.

And the way youre talking about annoyance of reloading is also applicable to your idea, in exactly same way.

Just let players play the way they like it, be it save backup of pushing on even if things go bad. Worse thing you can do is trying to force players to play game in the way you see it to be right. There are limits to freedoms, like cheating or exploitation, but in general saving is not something that should be policed by anyone.

Archived