Bow

Vinceofpyrenees

I thought same thing the bow doesn't last to long? and not to many saplings to create them, but searching further I found quite a few saplings to create many bows.

I guess it's all about game balance. the amount of saplings to create a bow vs how long a bow life lasts. Also what happens to that bow once it's broken? not much it seems in pc v349.

So do the devs add less saplings to create a bow and make a bow last a lot longer? i think so, specially when they add more other / different crafting features.

A bow can really degrade that fast in real life, if you make and use it when it is "green". It acquires a "set", that is, a permanent bend, and loses power and speed very rapidly.

The thing is. if you season the stave before making the bow, which is pretty much what we are doing in-game, then it degrades much slower, if at all. I have had the same handmade selfbow for over a year now.

Of course, for some reason, we dry the stave before carving the bow, which is the opposite of how you do it in real life, but what have you.

And, as always, game balance comes into play. This is the same game where being out in the wind and cold will magically cause your clothing to fall apart.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2016 at 9:08 AM, nicko said:

As for game play when a bow breaks? I think maybe a harvest option? of 1 cedar and 1 intestine. ATM there is no option. (and I have 3 dead bows on my floor space ;)

Certain though once you break a bow it is ruined for life.

Id say more of a reclaimed wood would work but i definitely agree!

Then you can make a snare from your old bow.

I too am troubled by how quickly bows, hatchets, crowbars (really?  crowbars wear out?) wear out.

But I also see the other side of it.  If these things wear out then it makes sense to scatter 3-6 across each map, if they last long time then 1 per map.  Well, when you have more per map it's more likely that you'll bump into one moderately early in the game play.  Otherwise each new game would be successful or a bust based on if you happened to find the knife (or whatever) early on or very late in game.

I guess I suppose you could have 'everlasting axes' and still spread 3-6 across each map, but then I think people would view finding them as too boring.  I do recall someone saying something similar about too many gun cleaning kits.

On 20/09/2016 at 10:59 PM, akodo1 said:

I too am troubled by how quickly bows, hatchets, crowbars (really?  crowbars wear out?) wear out.

But I also see the other side of it.  If these things wear out then it makes sense to scatter 3-6 across each map, if they last long time then 1 per map.  Well, when you have more per map it's more likely that you'll bump into one moderately early in the game play.  Otherwise each new game would be successful or a bust based on if you happened to find the knife (or whatever) early on or very late in game.

I guess I suppose you could have 'everlasting axes' and still spread 3-6 across each map, but then I think people would view finding them as too boring.  I do recall someone saying something similar about too many gun cleaning kits.

But the number of spawned items could be reduced, in the same time durability of each item increased

I agree with @akodo1,  if number is reduced, new games might fail due to not being able to find one.

Itd also seem odd that theres no hatchets lying around on any of the corpses or anywhere in the camps if they were reduced.

Id say the degradation is fine where it is, its hard to keep a fine edge on a hatchet when youre slamming it into wood, if we raise the durability of a whetstone we wouldnt have to worry about he hatchets edge dulling so fast. Whetstones can last quite a while if you clean the metal out of the rock regularly and use snow or somethig as lubricant 

Also new hatchets can be crafted at the furnace if youre worried about losing all of them, but by that time i personally would have been long dead XD.

Better skill with a hatchet could reduce its durability loss due to striking the wood at better angles to maintain its edge for longer.

Whaddya think?

Archived