Timberwolf Mountain on Stalker

tnbp

1 hour ago, tnbp said:

I had no lantern, no torch, and no tinder

Sticks.  Remember that breaking down a stick yields two tinder.  From sticks make tinder, then a fire, then pull out a brand.  When your brand seems about half gone make a new fire using the brand.  Add a stick or two, and pull out a replacement brand.  Repeat.

1 hour ago, tnbp said:

Or do you go the long way around and skip the cave to cave route?  Where did I go wrong?

Going through cave B is the route I take most often.   It's possible to go around, but the Cave is both much warmer and safer from wolves and bears.

If you aren't very familiar with the route, it might pay to try it first on an easier difficulty and check out the different routes.

9 hours ago, morgellons said:

Nice to know that there can be one there because I only tried this once and could not open any containers...where did you find the hacksaw at the summit?

Usually it's out in the open, very obvious.  Once I thought it was missing, but it turned out the hacksaw was there -- just very well hidden.  

Spoiler

It was under a panel laying flat on the floor, near the cargo crate containing the Parkas.

5 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

Last time I did it, I spawned near that cave W of Deer Clearing (closer to the tree bridge).  It has 2 logs in it (maybe something else, too - don't remember.  I picked the Reishi nearby, made a fire with one log, made tea, drank tea, took brand, and went for the cave grabbing more reishi and a few sticks on the way.  Once inside, I slept a lot as it was nightfall, then woke and made a fire with sticks.  Got a flare off a body in the cave, IIRC, but already had a brand going.  Once I was that close, it was easy.

What did you use for tinder, though?

3 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Sticks.  Remember that breaking down a stick yields two tinder.

Holy crap. I don't think I knew that. I REALLY wish I hadn't deleted that save file now... Ugh.

I don't think I've ever played a run where I didn't already have tinder from other sources, so I must have never discovered this. 

Sometimes a tiny piece of info like this changes everything. 

I shall try, try again. 

6 hours ago, tnbp said:

For those of you who have made the immediate trek to the summit, how did you pull it off?  Did you have a light source to start?

Pick up some sticks, harvest a few of them for tinder, use one match to build a campfire at the cave entrance, pull out a brand and just travel through the cave? Rinse repeat if necessary, ofc.:winky:

Why on Earth did you chainlight matches? No wonder you didn't make it through the cave that way (low burning duration, low light output). oO

9 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Pick up some sticks, harvest a few of them for tinder, use one match to build a campfire at the cave entrance, pull out a brand and just travel through the cave? Rinse repeat if necessary, ofc.:winky:

Why on Earth did you chainlight matches? No wonder you didn't make it through the cave that way (low burning duration, low light output). oO

I had posted just a few responses up that I didn't realize you could harvest sticks for tinder, which is hard to believe for as long as I've been playing TLD.  But I think I've always gotten tinder from other sources and was maybe just never forced to learn that (which I'll clearly never forget now.)

So I was chain lighting matches because, at the time, I thought that was the only method available to me.  I was super hopeful it was a short cave journey and couldn't figure out how others had made it through there another way (assuming that, like me, they didn't have tinder.)

So for fun started another run. Spawned less than hour of daylight left near landing gear. Just went to the hut, spent a night there... which was a long one because of a 6 hour blizzard. In the morning went to get clothing from the cargo which is basically in front of the hut, on the hill. Fixed up clothing and ended up at +10 warmth bonus. Did not want to spent time in caves, so built shelter behind the hut, and no matter of the weather outside, i'm always at feels like +5. So really nice solution. Even though i know that while in shelter, clothing wears faster, but its a trade of. Plus most of the times hut provides good temps for my current situation, and once bad ones arrive, i just go to the shelter.

17 minutes ago, thinair said:

So for fun started another run. Spawned less than hour of daylight left near landing gear. Just went to the hut, spent a night there... which was a long one because of a 6 hours blizzard. In the morning went to get clothing from the cargo which is basically in front of the hut, on the hill. Fixed up clothing and ended up at +10 warmth bonus. Did not want to spent time in caves, so build shelter behind the hut, and no matter of the weather outside, i'm always at feels like +5. So really nice solution. Even though i know that while in shelter, clothing wears faster, but its a trade of. Plus most of the times hut provides good temps for my current situation, and once bad ones arrive, i just go to the shelter.

Why did you not want to camp in a cave?, they are a great place for shelter as long as you have a bed roll. Plus you can stock up a cave with firewood, food etc.

43 minutes ago, nicko said:

Why did you not want to camp in a cave?, they are a great place for shelter as long as you have a bed roll. Plus you can stock up a cave with firewood, food etc.

Never been a fan of sleeping in indoor caves. Was about to say, also dont want to use up bedroll, but then shelter also uses 3 cloth to built and ruins clothing faster which means even more cloths lol. I guess i'm afraid of dark lol Also location.... the mountaineers hut is ideal... free food on the lake (deer + rabbits), and very safe (apart from cold).

7 hours ago, thinair said:

So for fun started another run. Spawned less than hour of daylight left near landing gear. Just went to the hut, spent a night there... which was a long one because of a 6 hour blizzard. In the morning went to get clothing from the cargo which is basically in front of the hut, on the hill. Fixed up clothing and ended up at +10 warmth bonus. Did not want to spent time in caves, so built shelter behind the hut, and no matter of the weather outside, i'm always at feels like +5. So really nice solution. Even though i know that while in shelter, clothing wears faster, but its a trade of. Plus most of the times hut provides good temps for my current situation, and once bad ones arrive, i just go to the shelter.

Which container are you talking about that contains the clothing?  Is that the one at the end of Echo Ravine, at the engine?  Or are you talking about another one?

1 hour ago, tnbp said:

Which container are you talking about that contains the clothing?  Is that the one at the end of Echo Ravine, at the engine?  Or are you talking about another one?

The one right above crystal lake, close to the rope and not to far away from andres peak. when you look thru the door of mountaineers hut its basically in front, on the hill.

Just now, thinair said:

The one right above crystal lake, close to the rope and not to far away from andres peak. when you look thru the door of mountaineers hut its basically in front, on the hill.

Sweet!  That's good to know.  That's probably easier than what I had originally planned.  That seems like a shorter trip.

27 minutes ago, tnbp said:

Sweet!  That's good to know.  That's probably easier than what I had originally planned.  That seems like a shorter trip.

Yeah if spawned around crystal lake, that's one of the easiest tactics to survive, go to that cargo, it has decent clothing, food, water.

Archived