A touch of resident evil 4, without the zombies, a dash of bioshock, without the splicers, and a pinch of the evil within, again, no zombies.

Docterrok

What do these games have in familiar? There portrayal of a town gone mad, a land forgotten and left in ruin, I believe TLD should have its own small village, not a little collection of buildings like at coastal highway, but a town, a town that would be like that of silent hill, a bleak, damn creepy, little town. What do you think?

2 hours ago, Docterrok said:

What do these games have in familiar? There portrayal of a town gone mad, a land forgotten and left in ruin, I believe TLD should have its own small village, not a little collection of buildings like at coastal highway, but a town, a town that would be like that of silent hill, a bleak, damn creepy, little town. What do you think?

+1.

Coastal Village do qualify as town. Considering location and settings i seriously doubt that there is space for a town for even couple of thousand people. Not to mention balancing issues.

If they add even small town and with ability to go from house to house, looting, then player will end up with metric shitton of supplies and never have any need to move anywhere from that area. On the other side, if they will go the same way as Bethesda did with latest Fallout games, where over 80% of buildings are there are purely for decoration, to fill space(doesnt really work tho) and are not interactable in any way,  then whats the point ?

Plus, even small town need a purpose, a industry to serve, be it whaling or transport. That again would add warehouses and port authority buildings.

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

Coastal Village do qualify as town. Considering location and settings i seriously doubt that there is space for a town for even couple of thousand people. Not to mention balancing issues.

If they add even small town and with ability to go from house to house, looting, then player will end up with metric shitton of supplies and never have any need to move anywhere from that area. On the other side, if they will go the same way as Bethesda did with latest Fallout games, where over 80% of buildings are there are purely for decoration, to fill space(doesnt really work tho) and are not interactable in any way,  then whats the point ?

Plus, even small town need a purpose, a industry to serve, be it whaling or transport. That again would add warehouses and port authority buildings.

I agree it would need to serve a purpose and that's a possibility in story mode but then do we know if story mode will be as free-flowing as sandbox? If we are allowed full scope of the map in story mode then a small town may to large an idea?

While this would be a neat visual addition I don't see it being a good addition for other gameplay aspects.

I want to highlight some key words that HL studio has used to describe this game, and I hope they stick to this.

1. Wilderness. This is suppose to be a wilderness survival game. There is too much civilization as is. Too many houses, too many shelters. I hope new regions are simply expansive wilderness so I actually need to build a snow shelter for once. 

2. Post-Disaster. While they do mention apocalypse once or twice Post-disaster makes more sense and creates more potential for this game. People wouldn't drop dead around the world if the northern lights started to create power outages. The hopeless rescue challenge itself implies that there is civilization out there to rescue you. The possibilility of contacting civilization creates more potential for in game events, activities and goals.

Off topic. HL also describes TLD as a winter survival game. So why are seasons in the road map?

Hinterland could choose to have a larger town where a large portion of it has been burned leaving only minimal wind protection as shelter along with a few buildings that survived the fire. A large amount of bears and wolves could be in the area. This would balance out the amount of supplies and buildings and increase the risk factor.

1 hour ago, continuity said:

I'd say no.  I see the long dark as primarily a wilderness survival game, rather than a post apoc scavenging game.

Yeah, I agree, I like the game nether because of its sheer LACK of nature and it's completely urban, it's awesome!

On 7/16/2016 at 4:22 PM, ShawnB said:

While this would be a neat visual addition I don't see it being a good addition for other gameplay aspects.

I want to highlight some key words that HL studio has used to describe this game, and I hope they stick to this.

1. Wilderness. This is suppose to be a wilderness survival game. There is too much civilization as is. Too many houses, too many shelters. I hope new regions are simply expansive wilderness so I actually need to build a snow shelter for once. 

2. Post-Disaster. While they do mention apocalypse once or twice Post-disaster makes more sense and creates more potential for this game. People wouldn't drop dead around the world if the northern lights started to create power outages. The hopeless rescue challenge itself implies that there is civilization out there to rescue you. The possibilility of contacting civilization creates more potential for in game events, activities and goals.

Off topic. HL also describes TLD as a winter survival game. So why are seasons in the road map?

Wilderness doesnt mean lack of human activity, it merely means that nature havent been significantly modified by that activity. And regions with nothing but forest would be as boring and blant as they come. Besides, already existing regions show devs vision of that term, its not just trees and snow. Snow shelter requires serious tweaking.

People will start dropping dead en masse if global blackout were to occur. Civilized human is not build to last outside its comfort zone. Its not your average hike in nearby forest for a few days with friends, with select supplies and emergency services on speeddial. There is no heat, no electricity, no news, no certainty, lawlessness, food shortages, riots. For few first days every1 will be just waiting and after that everything goes. I will be the worse in cities, but even remote areas wont go unscarred.

Also, Hopeless Rescue does not really state that you get rescued not to mention that everything will be ok after that flare. You just fire off flare into nothingness, not even 2 high.

Archived