Lake Whitefish Scaling/Size Issue *EASY FIX*

I didn't post this as a bug, because I'm not sure it is one, but this scene, after a day's fishing, is patently absurd:
20160709231309_1.thumb.jpg.a2a969caad6b120160709231320_1.thumb.jpg.93b063865ca1b20160709231513_1.thumb.jpg.ad2502448ed66

Does the size difference and calorie count not seem a little ridiculous?
IRL, I would probably have a great deal of difficulty finishing off a Lake Whitefish of that size, and it's only 387 Calories? Granted, the size of fish also includes guts, skin and skeleton which would not be eaten, but how come a much smaller fish has almost 4 times the calorific value?
I believe the ingame models of the whitefish need rescaling, desperately.

Hey Folks! Amazing game you've built here, and I'd like to help! So here's my first submission...

Lake Whitefish and Bass seem to have been mixed up when you scaled the 3D models, as per the descriptions (and actual sizing) of these fish.

Swap the scaling values and it's corrected! (Don't forget the cooked fish models too)

lake-whitefish-scaling-issue.jpg

HAHAHAHA!!! this has IRKED me far more than it should, since the very first time I actually laid each one down beside the other!  Its not really as easy to fix as simply swapping the scaling, since, as your screenshot with the lantern shows, the Bass is appropriately scaled, although they don't commonly grow to the sizes you often see in game.   a 4.8 kg small mouth bass would be a new All-Tackle world record, and more than twice the record for any caught in the cold waters of the North.  The in game model is scaled to the actual size of about a 1.5 kg smally which would be a GOOD catch in cold waters.

Less swapping and more of just a change on the Whites then, even at half the size of the smallies it would be a huge improvement.

After taking another look at the screenshot you're right, the smallies are tuned properly, I wouldn't suggest a change at all!

@Scyzara Anything you can do to get some visibility to a hinterland team member, since this is such a long standing pain in the butt?

I'm pretty sure the team is aware of the issue and has it on their to-do-list, especially as it gets reported over and over again every few weeks. :winky:

The thing is HL's programmers prioritize bugs depending on their severity (e.g. a bug that causes game crashes or prevents people from playing otherwise is more urgent than a purely cosmetic bug like floating icicles or wrong item skins/models). And the fish size bug definitely falls into the "not game-breaking"-category, hence it hasn't been addressed yet. Most likely it will be fixed during one of the next major updates, or at least before the final release.

3 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I'm pretty sure the team is aware of the issue and has it on their to-do-list, especially as it gets reported over and over again every few weeks. :winky:

The thing is HL's programmers prioritize bugs depending on their severity (e.g. a bug that causes game crashes or prevents people from playing otherwise is more urgent than a purely cosmetic bug like floating icicles or wrong item skins/models). And the fish size bug definitely falls into the "not game-breaking"-category, hence it hasn't been addressed yet. Most likely it will be fixed during one of the next major updates, or at least before the final release.

Again, I want tiny orcas...

Archived