Gameplay Thoughts and Suggestions

Corrosive

I'd like to start by saying I'm enjoying the sandbox mode and have finally managed to stay alive for a month provided I don't make any new ill-planned forays into bear hunting...

LOVE:  1) no ZOMBIES, 2) no rocket launchers 3) no BS. I have starved, gotten lost in the fog and frozen, fallen through ice and gone to the long dark in a fishing hut and yeah, the bear thing...

I would like to submit some possible additions to the game I think would be logical and fit into this world. Sorry if I'm repeating previous posts on the subject

Candles: Pretty much a staple in any home or cottage and it would be nice to not have to carry a lantern around the house to avoid walking into walls at night.

Couches: I find it odd that the Survivor can only break chairs and couches into firewood. It would be nice to sit in the chairs by the fireplace and pass time instead of only going to bed to do so.

Books to read and not just burn: Certain books could be found that provide valuable info and slightly bump up skills like gun cleaning or fishing There are also plenty of copy-right free books that could be put in the game to read on those long lonely blizzard nights.

Practice makes perfect: I found an archery target in Pleasant Valley and practiced using a bow and got better at it but managed to break and lose things. It would be great if hunting/practicing improved accuracy over time.

Spears: Easy to make - a straight stick and a fire - and better for fighting off wolves a la "The Grey". Our native peoples used them to take down large game for centuries before gunpowder. Spearheads could also be make out of scrap metal, and I have to wonder why we can make something as intricate as a fish hook, but not an arrow or spear head.

Strength increase: I'm wandering around with 30 kilos - about 75 lbs on my back. It would be great if the carrying capacity improved slightly over time as the Survivor got stronger

One last thing. So I'm wandering around lost in the fog trying to find my cabin and I come across a body. I'm starving. I have a knife. He's kinda meaty right? This could be a tough decision the player has to make- cannabalism or death.  It could also have consequences if overused like spongiform encephalopathy. Guess it depends on how far you want to take the whole survival thing...

Thanks for making what is so far an enjoyable and thoughtful game. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

Hi @Corrosive, Welcome to the forum!

5 hours ago, TLD Survivalist said:

Just an FYI you CAN make arrowheads!!! Whaaaaa-!?   :o

You actually can at the the forge in the Rikken! Or somewhere near it if I remember correctly

5 hours ago, Corrosive said:

Practice makes perfect: I found an archery target in Pleasant Valley and practiced using a bow and got better at it but managed to break and lose things. It would be great if hunting/practicing improved accuracy over time.

It's already implemented ;), I mean, you progressively get a better accuracy by yourself ^^

Aside from that, I personally like your ideas, although most of them have already been confirmed for implementation (like books source of knowledge) or discussed elsewhere.

One thing I really like, but is also pretty hard to implement is the "strength training". It's a really cool idea, however there are lot of backslash like, if you starve often, it's getting pretty hard to build muscles, or you would require more energy to make them function, etc so, it may be a little either hard to handle or hard to implement without it feeling op!

I agree with Corrosive.. A stat with the bow that lets say slightly reduces the amount of sway while pulling an arrow back and aiming.. Still have to arch and everything else but every few hits either on the target or any animal gains a +1 sway reduction or something i dont know

+1 for everything, except

One last thing. So I'm wandering around lost in the fog trying to find my cabin and I come across a body. I'm starving. I have a knife. He's kinda meaty right? This could be a tough decision the player has to make- cannabalism or death.  It could also have consequences if overused like spongiform encephalopathy. Guess it depends on how far you want to take the whole survival thing...

There are huge psychological barriers against that kind of thing, and the moral implications would lead to a s**tstorm crashing down on the devs the internet hasn't seen before. Fallout got away with it because it doesn't take itself seriously in the first place and was also rated M, whereas TLD is rated T.

Hi @Corrosive, welcome to the forums and thank you for your suggestions! :normal:

I personally wholeheartedly support the first three of your ideas (candles, couches & chairs to rest and books as sources of knowledge). The latter are on the 6 months roadmap, so we're hopefully going to see them implemented soon!

However, I'm rather opposed to an increasing strength/shooting skill and even more to cannibalism. Cannibalism is just disliked by the vast majority of players (and might cause age restriction problems in some countries, as mentioned by @Wastelander). Strength progression is a nice idea in general, but it would likely enhance a current gameplay problem.

Atm, the game is particularly balanced around a certain weight limit (which e.g. affects wolf aggression, sprain rates, fatigue gain and rope climbing) and increasing this limit - even if just by 5kg - would  likely make the game a lot easier.

As the game is already getting easier and easier during the course of a game anyway (because you're accumulating all necessary tools, find a rifle and flares for self-defense and can stay outdoors for longer periods of time because of your fur clothes), I personally wouldn't be happy about another aspect further enhancing this difference between early and mid-game difficulty.

That's why I'm always rather opposed to add further skill levels to activities or features. They would just cause mid-game to become even easier than atm, thus further widening the (already huge) difficulty gap between day one and day 20+. :winky:

I'm with @Scyzara regarding skill increases. I've found that after the first 30 days, things start to get easier. By the time I've explored two maps (usually around 60 days) I start to have a stock of supplies laid by and it is getting challenging for me to find ways to pass the time. 

Realistically speaking the 30 kg backpack limit is pretty close to what the military puts on their male soldiers (in the US females typically carry about half of that because of their smaller upper-body strength). This provides the soldier with enough gear to survive (and fight) in the field for short periods of time (military logistics provide resupply) without significantly slowing them down, hampering their physical or mental function, or increasing the rate of fatigue. 

This page explains the science and field experience behind this weight limit. Reading through it, I realized that the game's weight limit is pretty close to what is discussed in this page. Special Forces need to do forced marches over rough terrain with a minimum of 45 lbs carry weight (that's approximately 20.5 kg). In TLD, once you establish your base and gather enough supplies and tools, the game just becomes easier because you don't need to carry as much weight around.

One thing I found interesting in reading this page is "4) DO NOT RUN With Weight" as it increases the risk of injuries. I tend to avoid running in TLD period, but I know I get more sprains if I do run at or above maximum pack weight. That right there is the realism that makes the game so much fun to play. It's what keeps you from getting OP and the game becoming so boring.

As for skill increases, I pay attention to how I aim the bow/rifle, and watch for where it lands. The best place for practicing is actually on the ice at CH, since you can see where the arrow hits the ice, and it's easier to search for it (not likely to end up under a hill, like what happened to me in ML). Once I figure out how to aim it, I just get better. My reflexes still suck, so I use stalking more to hunt. I haven't done hunting in Voyager since the v.322 update, but I imagine I will be far more cautious not to get ambushed by Wolf or Bear while hunting Deer . . .

Archived