music that reminds you of TLD!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah! Many thanks, I was thinking back to before the time the internet was a strange, magical thing that knew what you wanted and was fooling around with the code function. 

Public Service Broadcasting are pretty much amazing and this is one of my favourite pieces of music by them. It's best deployed when making the final stretch on Timberwolf Mountain to maximise the 'punch the air' moment. 'The air is getting thinner and thinner, at such heights when you're lacking oxygen you may think you're normal, but you're not. You're moving in a dream, a dream that deludes and debilitates... two very small men, cutting steps in the roof of the world."

Ah! Many thanks, I was thinking back to before the time the internet was a strange, magical thing that knew what you wanted and was fooling around with the code function. 

I know how you feel. Honestly seems kind of scary nowadays with all sorts of faceless corporations knowning what I like.

Public Service Broadcasting are pretty much amazing and this is one of my favourite pieces of music by them. It's best deployed when making the final stretch on Timberwolf Mountain to maximise the 'punch the air' moment. 'The air is getting thinner and thinner, at such heights when you're lacking oxygen you may think you're normal, but you're not. You're moving in a dream, a dream that deludes and debilitates... two very small men, cutting steps in the roof of the world."

I still have to climb the mountain :D

Sort of reminds me of some industrial bands I used to listen to back in the days, not because of the music but because of the use of speech samples. I kinda dig it though!

here's a (rather extreme, so, basically, Trigger Warning if anyone here requires those: Communism, the Berlin Wall) example

Man, sometimes I think the Berlin Wall was the best thing to happen to music - Bowie! Joy Division! All that Cold War concrete dystopia 80's Brit new-wave tunes!

Heh. Good find.

So... suddenly realised that Handsome Family actually released pretty much an entire album's worth of Long Dark subject matter. If you haven't heard their stuff it's kind of beautiful alt-country music shot through with dark poetry, mordant humour and death in indifferent, vast, natural open spaces. Man, I just love The Handsome Family. They hit me just right.

COLD, COLD, COLD

Out on highway five there’s a field
Where sometimes at night people disappear.
That’s the only road that takes me home
Across the open prairie and the drifting snow.
Cold, Cold, Cold, as the Cold wind blows.

I was halfway there one frozen dawn
When she appeared at the side of the road.
A woman weeping in the frozen snow.
Her black hair flying across the empty road.

I pulled to the shoulder and she fell to the snow
But when I stepped from my car in the cold wind’s blow
She drifted away in the swirling cold
Down through the fields and their frozen rows.

But I heard her howl and I heard her moan
And she called my name in the swirling snow
But when I turned to run back to my car
There was nothing waiting but her frozen arms

White Dog (Fluffy?)

Last night my window opened  in the cold winter breeze
and from the dark forest a white dog stared in at me
he sat in the branches with his glowing yellow eyes
and softly he growled in the shaking black pines
White dog, white dog tell me where’s the door
across the lake of fire to the silver shore

I fell from my window in the swirling black breeze
into the dark forest and the ice-covered leaves
down, down through the branches through the white 
waving trees    / down, down I fell into the mouth of the sea
White dog, white dog tell me where’s the door
across the lake of fire to the silver shore

Stalled

Falling snow spun above the road winding through the dark woods where my pickup stalled. Falling snow hissing through the air, painting my windows white till the trees disappeared. Even though I started to feel cold and I was far from town, I just sat there in the dark.

Down In The Ground

I am not afraid when you call me down. Down the basement steps under the house. Down, down in the ground. White cows are limping. The black dog barks. Crickets are screaming. Smoke in the barn. Just like a field snake eating a mouse. Just like a blue gill, hook through its mouth. Cry for the toy trains lost in the snow. Cry for the dead deer surrounded by crows. You call me softly down in the dark. Down where the red worms circle like sharks. Under the black mud in your quiet house you have prepared my place to lie down. A house in the rock where sorrows drown. Old man or baby make no more sound.

Okay, I'll stop now. But people believe me when I say you really owe it to yourselves to pick up their albums Twilight, Singing Bones and In the Air. Um, also Through the Trees. 

http://www.handsomefamily.com/index.html

Listening as I write, this is a high-quality post you put out there @Nervous Pete, keep it up! Honored to have you in this thread.

Yeah, I definitely agree that these songs are TLD incarnate. Maybe someone from Hinterland's marketing department or whatever should go and make a contract with these guys *wink wink*

great to see someone new in this thread of ours :P music is one of those things that can connect us as a community much like the game itself does! maybe some more people will get involved in this thread soon, i'm loving the music so far! gives me something to tap my foot to while im wandering down the empty highway, or sitting up through the long lonely nights too rested to sleep!

i have a few more to add myself, but unfortunately its difficult to do so on the xbox as there is no simple "copy & paste" as on the pc :(

There is no more a Long Dark song than this little ditty from Handsome Family...:big_smile:

"If The World Should End In Ice"

If the world should end in ice
In days of endless night
I'll let the snowstorms cover me
In a blanket of white

And remember red, red robins
Hopping across the yard
Hunting singing crickets
As the first evening stars

Opened up their eyes
And dropped their golden tears
On every windowsill
And always will, and always will

"and I'm staring down the barrel of a .45, swimming through the ashes of another life. no real reason to accept the way things have changed. I'm staring down the barrel of a .45."
the long dark in a nutshell, i think

Can't believe "The sound of silence" is missing in this thread! Here's my favorite version from Disturbed, one of the extremely few covers I personally find better than the original.

Did I mention I have a soft spot for baritones in general and David Draiman's voice in particular? Yes, even (and especially) if he's not singing clearly like in this song, but... "performing" in his usual distorted hyena-bark style. :silly:

an absolutely amazing song. i gotta listen to disturbed more often!

welcome to the music thread, @Scyzara! glad to finally have ya :D

my whole goal here is to get hinterland to create a music section for us here on the forums, so it's always great to see others participating :P

I felt reminded of this yesterday when visiting Desolation Point to make some desolate, pointy things :D

my whole goal here is to get hinterland to create a music section for us here on the forums, so it's always great to see others participating :P

At this moment, I think this thread IS the music section. And we've only just begun collecting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2016 at 4:06 PM, Scyzara said:

Can't believe "The sound of silence" is missing in this thread! Here's my favorite version from Disturbed, one of the extremely few covers I personally find better than the original.

Did I mention I have a soft spot for baritones in general and David Draiman's voice in particular? Yes, even (and especially) if he's not singing clearly like in this song, but... "performing" in his usual distorted hyena-bark style. :silly:

This song. I loved this song before but this version. THIS VERSION is nothing but PURE MAGIC. I remember Disturbed from my highschool/college years but this is the most beautiful use of Draiman's gorgeous voice.

As for the rest of this music in the thread, keep it coming folks! I'm getting some great ideas for playlists here! And for anyone outside of englsih-speaking regions, don't be shy, Share your music too! It's universal!

Archived