Dam, Life is Good

Relo

screen_12bdc5db-7ad2-4acd-a7a1-751155b7f

Newbie here, so sorry if I touch on a couple of things that have already been mentioned before, 'cause it's all new to me and I can't help myself for wanting to throw in my 2 cents worth.

So here we find ourselves camped out at the Dam, a really good staging area for those eventual map transitions, imho...  As you see, I got a pretty good amount of loot from the camp office, trappers hut and the dam. What I don't have is bed...  what I want is a bed, not just any old bed, but an animal skin bed. 

should be able to craft something like this...  one bear skin, 5 deer skin, 2 wolf skins and 10 rabbit skins, 6 pieces of fir 18 pieces of cedar and 8 pieces of gut

estimated build time requiring use of hatchet, knife and sewing kit 15-18 hours

572057d286634_animalskinbed.jpg.9d545bb5

Welcome @Relo nice you found the dam. I believe there is a bed somewhere. The Dam is pretty large area yes.

Don't you already have the standard bedroll? there are usually a few around to find, the big blue roll looking thing.

Also if you have a couple bear pelts handy you can also craft a bear skin bed roll..

Either way I like your idea of building a fur bed! maybe we can use all our none used felts/hides to create a nice bed.

I don't believe there is a bed in the dam but I like the idea of being able to craft a permanent bed fixture though maybe the devs intend the dam to be more difficult to manage a base at because of its other advantages (fire, tons of storage, good transition location, lots of resources and access to decent hunting grounds on both sides). 

9 hours ago, nicko said:

" I believe there is a bed somewhere. "

Sorry @nicko,

nope, no bed in the dam... closest bed would either be camp office or a lucky bunker spawn on either of the two ridges triangulating the dam area.  next would be the cabins down on the lake off the southern access route.  

I really like the idea of using up all those skins for something else besides the obvious clothing or bedroll craft.  a craftable bed like the one in the picture looks like it would have to built into place rather than using the workbench.  That would allow players to craft beds in the caves and mines instead of having to rely on a cloth sleeping bag that seems to degrade all too quickly and eats up a lot of cloth during subsequent repairs.  probably would add at least +8 on the warmth bonus

There's a really good thread that I guy wrote where he spent 1000 days at the dam and documented all the usage of materials.  I think he needed a dozen sleeping bags to pull it off.:bedroll:

Building stuff could be nice feature. As long as its not 2 easy, so that every item would matter and make a significant hole in player supplies.

First you designate a design, a semi-transparent ethereal placed furniture item that would require significant amount of materials "invested" and once its done, building can begin.

If it were possible to 'use' chairs - say, in order to lose less of your fatigue bar while crafting or repairing, or even just for resting or passing time - then it would give incentive for players to build wooden chairs in their shelter (especially if it's a cave), or perhaps a workbench stool.

You might want to put up more shelves in some locations, or replace ones that you'd previously busted up for firewood or snare/torch material.

Furniture building would be a nice way of letting players customize their chosen shelter and make it feel more homely without really altering the other gameplay balances much.

3 hours ago, Pillock said:

If it were possible to 'use' chairs - say, in order to lose less of your fatigue bar while crafting or repairing, or even just for resting or passing time - then it would give incentive for players to build wooden chairs in their shelter (especially if it's a cave), or perhaps a workbench stool.

You might want to put up more shelves in some locations, or replace ones that you'd previously busted up for firewood or snare/torch material.

Furniture building would be a nice way of letting players customize their chosen shelter and make it feel more homely without really altering the other gameplay balances much.

+1 and amen to that

Funny thing is that I absolute enjoy "arranging" my base camp playing TLD, but in real life, besides my computer room, it still looks like we're living out of boxes, lol:$

Archived