THE "CRAFT/SCAVENGE EVERYTHING" CHALLENGE!!

cowboymrh

Hi Folks, I wanted to create a simple "thinking mans / womens" challenge that would challenge our brains as well as our stamina and outdoors skills!

As we all know, the crafting book at all work benches has 14 different items you can craft. Some of those items can also be scavenged without crafting. If you can find em...use em!!

Assemble all 14 of those items together in the snow or ice, (or anywhere you can see them all clearly) then take a screenshot with all 14 items showing.

Then you must press "Esc" then "Stats" to bring up your final "days survived and distance traveled" log book. Take another screenshot of your time and distance.

"Anyone" who completes the challenge will earn the "unofficial title" of Craftsman or Craftswomen which you can caption under your avatar if you wish. (as long as Hinterlands doesn't object)

There will also be 3 competition winners, and a leaderboard so that those who wish, can compare times and distances.

2 winners will be determined by "Shortest amount of time" to gather / craft all the items, and "shortest amount of distance" to gather /craft all of the items. These winners will win the "unofficial" title of "Craftmaster".

The overall winner will be the person who scores the best combined average in both "shortest time & shortest distance" on the same attempt by your character. That person will win the "unofficial" title of "CraftKing" or "CraftQueen". If there is a tie....... both will be declared winners.

It is my hope that this challenge will appeal to all kinds of personalities and styles of play.

Try the challenge anytime.......but the "competition" part of the challenge will end June 30th, 2016.

TO GET STARTED

1. CREATE NEW CHARACTER

2. MAKE SURE TRAVEL DISTANCE IS SET TO "KILOMETERS".  IN THE OPTIONS MENU SELECT "UNITS" THEN "METRIC".

3. CHOOSE ANY DIFFICULTY YOU WISH.

4. CHOOSE ANY MAP YOU WISH TO START ON.

5. CRAFT OR SCAVENGE ALL 14 ITEMS IN THE CRAFT BOOK (YOU CANNOT SUBSTITUTE A "BROKEN ARROW" FOR A "USABLE ARROW").

6. TAKE A SCREENSHOT OF ALL 14 ITEMS IN 1 PICTURE (TRY TO MAKE ALL ITEMS VISIBLE).

7. PRESS ESC AND "CLICK" ON STATS AND TAKE SCREENSHOT OF YOUR DAYS SURVIVED AND DISTANCE TRAVELED. (Thanks Scyzara!):)

8. COME BACK HERE TO POST YOUR TIME AND DISTANCE.

9. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

Well, you need to put quite a bit of thought into where to start for example. Where (what map) will you find the most items you need, without traveling a great distance?

Where are the items I can scavenge instead of craft? How do I deal with the bear to get the bedroll? What shortcuts can I find to make the distance shorter or the time less?  and so on!! ;)

I think just starting the challenge will get your mind kicked into high gear trying to balance early game survival with scavenging and crafting the things you need to complete the challenge!

10 hours ago, cowboymrh said:

unfortunately grasshopper.............yes, you must!!   Unless Hinterlands has come up with another option to show distance traveled and time survived!

They have. Just hit Esc and klick on "STATS".:winky:

•  

Ahhh....  The ever dependable Scyzara with the answer!!! ;)

14 hours ago, cowboymrh said:

They have. Just hit Esc and klick on "STATS".:winky:

•  

Ahhh....  The ever dependable Scyzara with the answer!!! ;)

Yay, Thank you for saving our collective bacon(s)!

Shoulda asked Scyzara first, after all, Queen of the Mountain.  

Hello, 

this looks like a fun thread.  was reading the rules and as a newbie, was curious about a few things if someone wouldnt mind explaining.  

first, is it too late for me to start this challenge?  I would assume your group already has a good head start, and two is there any advantage between the difficulty levels?

I just started playing this game last weekend and I thought I would play it thru on the "Pilgrim" difficulty first just to get a little familiar with the maps and the game mechanics.  I did try "Stalker" difficulty when I first got the game, but sheesh, I spawned in the middle of a snow storm, in the middle of nowhere, fell thru the ice got hypothermia and then froze to death in car and died in the first 3 hours of playing the game.  :o  So I decided to try the "Voyageur" difficulty and that was a lot different as I spawned in a cabin and right away had a rifle and bullets, that made me a little reckless, and due to my poor aim, (or was it the wine)  was promptly killed by wolves!  Now in "Pilgrim" difficulty, everything runs away instead of at you.  

Hi Relo, and welcome to the world of The Long Dark! :P  You're experiencing what most all of us went through when we started. Just hang in there and keep trying and you'll keep finding secrets for longer survival.

The challenge runs til June so you have plenty of time. A head start doesn't make a difference. You can jump right in.

And don't feel bad, I've attempted the challenge 3 times now and been killed 3 times!!  Once by the weather, once by a wolf, and this last time by a bear that I put 5 shots into!

As far as difficulty mode ..... I'd suggest "voyager". The toughest part of the challenge is the Bear........ You have to kill 2 of them! Tough to do in "early game" setting when you still don't have all the clothing, ammo, and supplies you need yet.

It's turning out to be a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. Sure.......Givin enough time, a person could easily craft or find all the items in the challenge. But when you are trying to balance that with early game survival plus getting a good score, the challenge becomes a bit more........ challenging!O.o

Hang in there and glad to have you here!!

Take Care!

bearshot.png.4c972924a9e8fbd1c966f0fb856I'm kinda in the dog house with my wife, as I cant stop playing this game...

571bf9aed9ad3_screen_(5-1489)_651f9a99-c

I think I got it all...

571bf9ebbc61c_screen_(77626658)_0fe65673

I probably walked a lot more than I really had too... pretty boring waiting for bear hide to cure...

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:41 AM, piddy3825 said:

Looks like your first to post Relo.  looks like the only thing missing is the flare gun?

I don't think you have to get the flare gun.  or do you? 

isn't that a little bit to easy? It would be more of a challenge if everything has to be crafted (not found), Stalker, Timberwolf Mountain is forbidden, Outdoor only + Naked and afraid.

I have seen someone doing this within 23 days.

Or you know what? I have a super idea. How about the rule to craft everything within the "hunted" challenge? And i mean crafting, not finding :) I didn't check out if there are other bears in that challenge (normal ones). If not, we could say the bedroll is not part of it.

13 hours ago, MueckE said:

isn't that a little bit to easy? It would be more of a challenge if everything has to be crafted (not found), Stalker, Timberwolf Mountain is forbidden, Outdoor only + Naked and afraid.

I have seen someone doing this within 23 days.

Or you know what? I have a super idea. How about the rule to craft everything within the "hunted" challenge? And i mean crafting, not finding :) I didn't check out if there are other bears in that challenge (normal ones). If not, we could say the bedroll is not part of it.

I don't mean to sound defensive, here but if I do, I apologize in advance.... But Dude, I just got this game and probably haven't played it nearly as much as the rest of ya'll But I don't know if you think surviving being mauled by a bear,  not just once, but twice in one run in order to be able to craft a bed roll, is easy, for the average player like myself,  not withstanding the rules of this threads challenge, but in game setting where there are plenty of beds available and you already have a sleeping bag... I mean come on, Not everybody is or wants to be a Stalker mode player and I do believe the author of this challenge left it up to the individual players to select their difficulty level of choice.  As this contest is still open for several more weeks, I am confident that @cowboymrh will refine the rules to take into consideration the "differences in difficulty" modes vs. completion of the challenges tasks.  and btw... I did craft everything in the game, including the axe, knife and the arrow heads out at the forge.  which I don't believe were included for this threads challenge run, but I did them anyway, cause I just happened to random spawn on the DP map when I decided to start playing this game.  Oh, yeah, and on a side note, I did get attacked by a wolf in a Pilgrim game setting which was pretty interesting in itself as I never expected that to happen, I guess they don't like it when you sprint up on em' from behind as they are getting ready to die from the arrow ya' shot into them.   anyway, bro, sorry for the rant, but I kinda felt you were pi**ing on my parade.   I'm over it now   :durbear:

What i mean is, that there are several spawns of the bow, arrows and so on. I tested it on Stalker mode. I started in Mystery Lake and harvested all deer carcasses. While i was going from carcass to carcass i harvested 3 lychens and 1 Birch Sapling (for Arrwoshaft), found the rifle, a torch, snare, fishing line, hook, line, bow, arrow. I killed 4 rabbits and 4 wolves. The last wolf was fluffy in hydro dam. This means, after only 1 ingame day i had everything except the bearskin to complete the challenge only because i dont have to craft it but can also just pick it up. From Hydro dam i would go to Pleasant Vally and kill two bears, than go to farmstead and hibernate till the hides are cured. So it takes about 2 ingame days to gather everything + the time to cure (you can start crafting clothes while bearskin still needs time).

I mean, if you make a "competition" out of this challenge, than the rules should be the same. I didnt want to offend you, It has nothing to do with "stalker player". Its just unfair if you for example craft everything, and another just picks up a bow and an arrow or is playing pilgrim while you played stalker and had to fight the weather, wolves.

EDIT: Even faster in Timberwolf Mountain. There are 2 wolves on the lake 1 bear and a deer. If you go upstream to the waterfall there are 2 more wolves on the way and 1 bear. From the cabin to the summit and back, you dont need 1 day. On the way behind deer clearing are containers with lots of rabbit skins and at the summit wolf and deer hides + rifle for the bears. In TM you can get everything within a few hours. And yes, thats unfair because you didnt know that in desolation point only one bear spawns, so you have to wait double the time and have no chance to compete. I wont compete here anyway. Just wanted to point out that the rules are unfair if they are meant competetivly.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:04 PM, MueckE said:

What i mean is, that there are several spawns of the bow, arrows and so on. I tested it on Stalker mode. I started in Mystery Lake and harvested all deer carcasses. While i was going from carcass to carcass i harvested 3 lychens and 1 Birch Sapling (for Arrwoshaft), found the rifle, a torch, snare, fishing line, hook, line, bow, arrow. I killed 4 rabbits and 4 wolves. The last wolf was fluffy in hydro dam. This means, after only 1 ingame day i had everything except the bearskin to complete the challenge only because i dont have to craft it but can also just pick it up. From Hydro dam i would go to Pleasant Vally and kill two bears, than go to farmstead and hibernate till the hides are cured. So it takes about 2 ingame days to gather everything + the time to cure (you can start crafting clothes while bearskin still needs time).

I mean, if you make a "competition" out of this challenge, than the rules should be the same. I didnt want to offend you, It has nothing to do with "stalker player". Its just unfair if you for example craft everything, and another just picks up a bow and an arrow or is playing pilgrim while you played stalker and had to fight the weather, wolves.

EDIT: Even faster in Timberwolf Mountain. There are 2 wolves on the lake 1 bear and a deer. If you go upstream to the waterfall there are 2 more wolves on the way and 1 bear. From the cabin to the summit and back, you dont need 1 day. On the way behind deer clearing are containers with lots of rabbit skins and at the summit wolf and deer hides + rifle for the bears. In TM you can get everything within a few hours. And yes, thats unfair because you didnt know that in desolation point only one bear spawns, so you have to wait double the time and have no chance to compete. ""I wont compete here anyway. Just wanted to point out that the rules are unfair if they are meant competetivly.""

I understand what you are saying, but the title ""THE "CRAFT/SCAVENGE EVERYTHING" CHALLENGE!!""  pretty much says it all.  Seems to me that idea is who can get all the stuff the quickest... You ought to compete in this then, 'cause you still got time and from the sounds of your rhetoric you got mad skills.  Go Get EM @MueckE!  As my old boss would always say... "here's where the rubber meets the road..."

Great Job Relo!!  Sorry for taking so long to update this post!

You are number one on the leader board and the time to beat. I have a challenge started and I'm finding it to be much more difficult than I had anticipated. It's one thing when you happen upon stuff and collect it as you go through the game. But it's something altogether different when you are making "time" and "distance" a consideration.

I've actually started this challenge several times and been killed by taking risks that I probably shouldn't have to save time and distance.

I'm about halfway through the challenge now and will post when I'm finished!

And by the way folks.... It's Craft or Scavange all items in the Craft book! So, no... you don't need a flaregun.

Leader board:

TIME                                        DISTANCE                                                                       BEST OVERALL

1.  Relo:          43 Days, 23 Hours, 5 Minutes                    84.4K                         1.   Relo:          43 Days, 23 Hours, 5 minutes /  84.4 Kilometers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You dont have to count this for your challenge. Just tried to see how fast it can be done.
I think it is possible in about 12 - 13 days to craft everything.
I played Stalker, male, Mystery Lake, was lucky to find the rifle at trapper's homestead + 6 rounds. I shot one deer, one wolf and one rabbit with the bow, rest carcasses/snare/rifle - oh, i killed fluffy with the knive. Goal was to kill the bears as fast as possible because the skins need the longest time to cure.

speedcrafting_a.png

speedcrafting_b.png

speedcrafting_c.png

11 hours ago, MueckE said:

You dont have to count this for your challenge. Just tried to see how fast it can be done.
I think it is possible in about 12 - 13 days to craft everything.
I played Stalker, male, Mystery Lake, was lucky to find the rifle at trapper's homestead + 6 rounds. I shot one deer, one wolf and one rabbit with the bow, rest carcasses/snare/rifle - oh, i killed fluffy with the knive. Goal was to kill the bears as fast as possible because the skins need the longest time to cure.

speedcrafting_a.png

speedcrafting_b.png

speedcrafting_c.png

That's outstanding!  imho, you just set the benchmark for Stalker mode players... Kudos @MueckE

Archived