Rifle breaking & repair mechanic

Hotzn

I presume there already is a rifle breaking mechanic in the game. I wouldn't know since I tend to keep my rifle in perfect condition and never had one breaking on me (only use it very occasionally anyway, I rather hunt with the bow or fires/torches etc). But I would like to have a risk of the rifle breaking. Just a very slight one - either if the rifle is fired when it has not been cleaned thoroughly , or maybe when it is fired at very low temperatures (don't know if this is "realistic"). It should also have a chance of breaking if I fall down somewhere and land on a rock. How cool would it be to hear that sound of the rifle breaking apart... :)

So there would be two different items in the game - the "rifle" and the "broken rifle", also with different icons maybe. And then there should be the possibility to repair a broken rifle. Not just with scrap metal, but with a new special item - "rifle parts" (and maybe additional scrap metal, fir wood etc.). These rifle parts should be a very rare find or - the only other possibility to obtain them - they can be harvested from a rifle or a broken rifle. Now this whole thing would add an interesting new ascension mechanic: We could find the - very occasional - broken rifle. We would then need at least two of these, then harvest one to repair the other. This would expand the game, since we would have to travel here and there to gather the broken rifles (or a single broken rifle and some lucky rifle parts), find the toolbox and additional scrap metal, find a workbench and bring everything together. Another positive: Other than bringing a hook and a fishing line together, the necessity of a workbench makes total sense for repairing a rifle with spare parts. And another positive: Finding additional rifles after the first would still be nice, since we might need them if our primary rifle should break unexpectedly. As things currently are, additional rifles are more or less moot.

There could still be a fully functional rifle to be found, but this could be made a lot rarer and thus a more lucky find. Maybe just one per map in stalker mode, or maybe even only one or two spread across all maps. With slim chances to find those, we would have to gather broken rifles and craft a new complete one from their parts.

After repairing/crafting the complete rifle, it would still need to be cleaned of course. ;)

That's a pretty good idea in my opinion. Always found it somehow problematic that rifles are basically worthless except the very first one you find. I usually don't even pick up additional rifles, to be honest. And I would definitely welcome a longer time period until you acquire your first rifle in Stalker mode. Giving toolboxes and scrap metal a little more relevance is also a very neat sideeffect of your idea.:normal:

The rifle's condition is very much dependent on the owner. A well maintained rifle (or even a poorly maintained rifle) will still remain accurate and functional for many, many years. For instance, WWI Lee-Enfield rifles are still seeing active use in war zones like Afghanistan (http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/rifles-of-advanced-age-remain-in-use-in-afghanistan/?_r=0). Basically, as long as the owner oils the rifle to prevent rusting of the components and cleans it after use (or at least after every season) all the guns you find indoors should be at 100% condition. Remember, these guns were designed for the trenches of the western front. They're built to last.

Of course, since this is a game, the developers can do whatever they want :)

I agree there should be no problems with well maintained rifles, lets say above 80% condition.

Below that there could be a chance for certain parts to become unusable, not break per se, but they simply would not function properly. Rifle could also become modular item, that would consist of various parts, like barrel, stock, and firing mechanism(that could be further broke down to essential parts like springs or trigger).

So if weapon condition is bad, depending on how bad it is(chance for something to happen could be simply negative condition with some modifier, like 20% of orginal negative condition, eg rifle with 50% condition would have 50-10=40% chance to jam and half that chance to break), it could have 2 problems, jamming and direct breakdown. In case of jamming, it should be recocked and bullet manually removed(with 50% chance of it becoming unusable, eg wasted round). If something breaks, then depending on what it was, there should be option to either fix it with materials at hand(like fixing stock with scrap and wood) or require parts salvaged from other rifle(like replacing spring in firing mechanism).

Truth be told, you would really have to work at it to break a SMLE, Run a 4x2 flannel through the bore every 50 rounds or so and you are good to go. As Cekivi said they were built for the trenches, and the old girl will still be banging out her 10 rounds rapid long after the plastic automatics of today are gone.

Speaking of rapid fire, the rifle as modelled in the game is far too slow, the Lee-Enfield action is the fastest of all bolt action rifles, if I recall correctly the record was some 40 odd rounds per minute.  I know that my uncle could empty a mag into a 10 inch target at 100 yards in under 10 seconds without a miss.  I was in awe of him.

14 hours ago, starfighter441 said:

I do pick up the additional rifles, and deposit them in what will be my base in each map, then I only have to transport my ammo and a bow between areas.

This. I only started doing this recently on the TWM map where pack weight is important climbing the ropes.  I put a rifle at the base and top of the rope.  I only carry bullets when climbing.  Frees 4 kilos of pack weight. :)

Archived