What the holy hell was that?

MrNicoras

I was 40 days in to my latest run in Stalker. I was rocking it. Survived a number of wolf attacks by fighting them off mostly due to my impatient gameplay style, but that's neither here nor there.

I was in the process of relocating my base camp from the Mystery Lake Camp Office to one the coastal house across the street from Quanset. For me, this generally involves multiple trips back and forth to take everything I've accumulated, since I tend to be a hoarder in TLD.

I had just gotten to the River approach on my way to the Ravine. I had already dropped one decoy to distract the wolf that always seems to be in the bay between camp office and the first hut. Safely past that wolf, I just made my way to the river access when I was surprised by another wolf right in front of me. The first Tech issue I encountered was a black box. {I've seen them before, usually when I leave the game running and closing my laptop lid and then resuming play later on.} Anyway, the black box this time was just sitting there, leading me to believe that it was a dead wolf I hadn't harvested yet. I made my way toward it, not being able to see the wolf that walked up behind it. When I finally realized what was happening, I dropped another decoy. The wolf appeared to commit to the decoy, so I started to make my way past it. All of a sudden, it blew off the decoy and attacked me. Annoying, but still no problem. I had 100% condition, was carrying a knife, and was wearing a wolfskin coat. In my experience, this is a recipe for surviving a wolf attack 100% of the time - often without taking any damage whatsoever other than loss of clothing condition. This time was different.

The wolf attacked and I began mashing my left mouse button in self defense. Almost immediately, I realized there was a problem. The fight bar wasn't moving. I mashed the mouse furiously for the duration of the attack. At no point did it move. At all. The wolf continued to attack and I watched my condition drop dangerously low and the list of damages mount. At this point, I was mad, and resigned myself to giving up on this run, patching myself up, limping back to the Camp Office to recoup. No Such LUCK!!! The wolf continued to attack all the way up to my death. I slipped into the Long Dark while in the jaws of a lone wolf. Again, this fight started with my being well armed, well dressed, and in 100% condition. I've died in a lot of ways while playing TLD. As annoying as dying is, it is one of the reasons I love this game. But from start to finish, everything about this wolf attack felt like a glitch of some sort. I don't know if this is something the Devs are aware of, or if it was a weird, one time fluke, but I felt like I should share it. If for no other reason, than to simply vent. 

Gotta love TLD!

This might sound silly but were you facing the wolf???  Back when I first started playing I found out the hard way that if you are running away from a wolf or trying to enter a building and get attacked............ fighting does nothing unless you turn around and face the wolf.

On 3/18/2016 at 9:04 AM, cowboymrh said:

This might sound silly but were you facing the wolf???  Back when I first started playing I found out the hard way that if you are running away from a wolf or trying to enter a building and get attacked............ fighting does nothing unless you turn around and face the wolf.

I was looking right at the thing when it attacked. I didn't have time to turn and run. I didn't even have time to light a flare. It appeared from behind a black box that for some reason I get sometimes. I'll try to get some screen shots of the box to show what I'm talking about. I don't even really mind that little bug, since it identifies wolves that I wouldn't otherwise see. Dying from a wolf attack, on the other hand, I do mind. I mind that very, very much.

12 hours ago, exeexe said:

Sounds like you were exhausted, and this happen easily when you are carrying heavy loads as when you move all your goods to the new location. Never fight wolves if you are exhausted on stalker

I was definitely overloaded, since I was in the process of relocating. But I had just woken up from a full night's sleep, with a full belly, full thirst meter, and 100% condition. Clad in a wolfskin coat, deerskin boots, and fuzzy bunny mittens. I was about as protected as I could be. I had gone from the Camp Office to the entrance to the river across from the fishing hut on Mystery Lake. Not even remotely far enough to get tuckered out. I get what you're saying, because I've died that death before too. But this time, it simply didn't make sense. I find that in my experience, about 95% of my deaths can be directly attributed to sheer, unadulterated hubris. This one was not one of those.

Just now, exeexe said:

maybe your knife was in low condition, maybe you had got a dysentery/Food poisoning or whatever its called and had hadnt seen the notification?

Nope. And Nope.

I get it. I've died more times than I can count playing this game, and I can almost always attribute it to some mistake or another. This time though, none of the usual suspects apply. I was in perfect health, warm, fat, and happy. I was carrying probably 90 lbs of stuff, so like I said, I was definitely overloaded. But I hadn't traveled far enough for that to have an impact. The glitch this time was the attack just never ended, and the fight progress bar never moved, no matter how much mashing of the mouse button I tried.

12 hours ago, MrNicoras said:

This obviously isn't the wolf that attacked me in the aforementioned post. But I had mentioned seeing on a number of occasions a black box covering up wolves. Here's a screen shot of the box I'm talking about.

screen_7695b6d6-2117-4a2b-9041-2144d8cdb1fe.png

Its just some files that are gone from your computer. Most likely your Harddrive is about to break down and thus has becomes unstable. The short seighted solution is to reinstall the game - The long seighted solution is to get a new harddrive

It might also help to run a scandisk or whatever its called and this can repair files

Archived