Character reaction to the elements.

battlejackal

I've been thinking about this idea of having eyelids that reduce your visibility when your outside during a storm or strong winds. The idea been that if you're outside during a blizzard IRL you're going to be squinting due to the harsh elements:

08I7wrq.jpg

Now of course there would be different levels to which the eyelids would squint, obviously in the middle of a blizzard it would have the strongest effect while in a gust it would be mild. This could correspond with wind shielding also, so that when you're in a wind shield your vision would go back to normal. Then, if you're wearing something like a hooded jacket, toque or scarf maybe the squinting wouldn't be as strong as your face would be shielded from the elements.

Understandably the eyelids wouldn't be static and would have some breathing qualities to them. You could combine this with some additional grunts and groans and I think it would make for some immersive scenarios. Perhaps you could even go further and have blizzards actually push your character around at times, especially if you have no energy.

I think this way when it's a nice day and you character is standing there not squinting and looking around taking in his surroundings then you'll appreciate it, really giving your character the feeling of genuinely reacting to the elements. What does everyone else think? I just felt standing out in a strong wind or storm seemed to not bother my character at all, like it didn't effect him, until I actually checked the stats and saw the temp.

Just had a thought that the character reactions could extend into other scenarios such as when you're losing condition due to been tired then the eyelids could start closing and opening. Also when losing condition because of freezing the screen could slightly shake to simulate shivering.

I'd never heard of a toque before, just called woolly hats in the UK or watch caps by a few (army days)!

This aricle made me laugh, I can imagine the funny looks a Canadian would get asking for a litre of full fat or whole milk in the UK :P

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/from-toque-to-mickey-ten-canadianisms-that-will-leave-other-english-speakers-utterly-confused

6 hours ago, battlejackal said:

Just had a thought that the character reactions could extend into other scenarios such as when you're losing condition due to been tired then the eyelids could start closing and opening. Also when losing condition because of freezing the screen could slightly shake to simulate shivering.

I really like the idea of shivering; it would discourage the guys who run around flirting with hypothermia. I guess they have no idea how uncomfortable it is when you start to go hypothermic! Your dexterity goes way down so you can barely light a match much less manage a weapon. We could also add sneezing and coughing as well as medical conditions such as colds and pneumonia and fever. There are various herbal remedies to deal with pain and fever such as willow or poplar bark tea. A nice evergreen needle tea would sooth a cold with plenty of vitamin-C

19 hours ago, SteveP said:

I really like the idea of shivering; it would discourage the guys who run around flirting with hypothermia. I guess they have no idea how uncomfortable it is when you start to go hypothermic! Your dexterity goes way down so you can barely light a match much less manage a weapon. We could also add sneezing and coughing as well as medical conditions such as colds and pneumonia and fever. There are various herbal remedies to deal with pain and fever such as willow or poplar bark tea. A nice evergreen needle tea would sooth a cold with plenty of vitamin-C

All sounds great!

18 hours ago, illanthropist said:

Back on topic, like the idea @battlejackal, reminds me of these:

snow-goggles-glenbow-org-Fleming-NWT-archives.jpg

As I said in another post, I have often found myself wishing for one of these on those cold, sunny, bright days! I would totally cut birch bark and somehow use that to make these.

15 hours ago, SteveP said:

No need to add plants for that vitamin C - rose hips are rich in it and are already in the game. 

*edited to remove double post. Obviously I'm still getting used to the whole quotation system on these forums!

21 hours ago, battlejackal said:

You will start to black out when your condition is below 10%

Rose hips for Vit C are good but actually relatively rare IRL. More common around old urban areas. Needles are everywhere. Just a thought. Would you really need to harvest them or just brew up a cup as is the case with melting snow? next to no calories in needles. Just something to help cure scurvy. Now if we had pemmican..... :x

6 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

i'd like to add to my first post, that when a blizzard or strong wind comes i have a habit of looking straight down, as to shield my face from the wind. just for immersion purposes, of course :)

Is it the immersion of shielding your face or pretending to update your facebook status sayin' how censored cold it is ;)

20 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

i'd like to add to my first post, that when a blizzard or strong wind comes i have a habit of looking straight down, as to shield my face from the wind. just for immersion purposes, of course :)

I like the idea of your character looking down and you having to correct it at times when a strong wind hits during storms. I also think that could apply to my idea about having the eyelids close and open when losing condition due to been tired, having your head go down at the same time to simulate nodding off.

I remember icicles forming on my face and beard as a young lad delivering newspapers in winter.

If out on a SkiDoo you also had to wear heavy double mitts, special clothing like a snowmobile suit and protective goggles.

When skiing you sometimes had to wear a face mask to keep the wind off your skin lest it freeze. Those days are long gone and the deep cold seldom comes into central Alberta. We boomers remember how it was, Gen X and young people now seldom experience winter in the raw.

I miss it actually: bringing the sledge full of wood from the wood pile to the porch each day; hauling water from the well; going to the outhouse in freezing cold weather. Gathering around the old wood furnace and watching B&W TV...

There's something about a wood fire that is so entrancing and soothing.

53 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

never mate a paperboy with a beard ;)

it was more of a wispy mustache in those days. I think it was in my nose hairs that ice would freeze. When skiing was when I got beard icicles. Memories like that are funny. ¬¬

The other thing I remember was that if you had cold feet, you needed better insulation for your legs. When the blood circulation stops, your feet get cold, even in insulated winter boots.

Archived