Fire starting chance decrease while freezing !!!

alone sniper

It's not the worst idea but that would be a real pain. A fire is life or death when your freezing especially when you're just starting out. With you clothes being in the worst state they could be in, your fire starting skill being in the worst state it could be in, and then on top of that not being able to start it due to shivering would be heartbreaking. I find myself failing to start a fire three times in a row even with a positive fire starting chance (about 60% {when just starting out}). I'd hate to die in the first day not being able to start a fire. There was a short story I read by a guy named Jack London in school and he died because his hands were too numb to strike a match. Maybe something like that, but that would even be too much

I like the idea! Maybe it would be too harsh? But it could be easy to understand if there was a "intense shivering" condition that comes before hypothermia and move your vision in a similar fashion to when you get a sprain?

Interesting imho. But it should probably be balanced by something like "more tinder more chances".

On 11/24/2016 at 7:53 AM, HazardousHowitzer said:

It's not the worst idea but that would be a real pain. A fire is life or death when your freezing especially when you're just starting out. With you clothes being in the worst state they could be in, your fire starting skill being in the worst state it could be in, and then on top of that not being able to start it due to shivering would be heartbreaking. I find myself failing to start a fire three times in a row even with a positive fire starting chance (about 60% {when just starting out}). I'd hate to die in the first day not being able to start a fire. There was a short story I read by a guy named Jack London in school and he died because his hands were too numb to strike a match. Maybe something like that, but that would even be too much

To Build a Fire, great story.

Yes, I highly recommend people read "To Build a Fire". It is a very good short story.

As for the topic at hand, I think it'd be realistic but not very fun. Without some way to counteract or balance the shivering penalty you'll prevent a lot of players from progressing past the first few days. Furthermore, a late stage character with level 5 fire starting may not even notice. A shivering penalty - as the game is now - would just further exacerbate the early game difficulty problem.

That being said if there are ways to deal with it (e.g. more tinder, hot packs, lighters, etc.) then the shivering detriment could lead to some very interesting gameplay moments.

Ive thought so as well, I have trouble just tying my boots when my hands get too numb. 

"To Build a Fire" is one of my favourite short stories, it shows how nature  doesnt really care if you live or die out there. The dog simply knew where camp was the whole time.

I like idea of adding extra tinder in exchange for higher success rates, If I really wanted a fire going, Id pile up more of it together. 

35 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Ive thought so as well, I have trouble just tying my boots when my hands get too numb. 

"To Build a Fire" is one of my favourite short stories, it shows how nature  doesnt really care if you live or die out there. The dog simply knew where camp was the whole time.

I like idea of adding extra tinder in exchange for higher success rates, If I really wanted a fire going, Id pile up more of it together

Quite, I'd be using a few tinderplugs myself.

Learn to make fire early and often or die an ignominious death. If you wait to make fire when you are already freezing, and you have frostbite on your hands, then you are gonna die (and in a perverse way, you deserve it!) There is no shortage of matches. Under normal circumstances, you would need to have with you methods of creating fire such as fire drill or fire bow. The other way to mitigate making fire often is to improvise a way to carry embers. You do this with a birch bark container and lots of tinder well compressed in order to inhibit oxygen flow. It is not easy to do. A tin pail carries embers well but can get hot. You need to feed the fire regularly. Interloper should require you to develop your fire making skills well before you tackle that level. Perhaps the skills can carry over from the previous level. You start on Pilgrim until you gain mastery and only then progress to the next level.

I find it ridiculous that players continually push it to the point of freezing and never even consider making fire to get warm. It's what you do for heaven sake!! You are cold, you need to get warm. Everything else becomes unimportant at that point.

I say punish the "cheaters"!! :insanity_fluffy:

On 25. 11. 2016 at 10:28 PM, cekivi said:

That being said if there are ways to deal with it (e.g. more tinder, hot packs, lighters, etc.) then the shivering detriment could lead to some very interesting gameplay moments.

Or something like this (and other similar chemical "last resort" solutions) can be implemented in the game too:

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

@Viktor Kvasnica: Neat! You can sort-of do that in the game right now with the emergency flare but you don't get any bonuses for starting a fire with one. At least, none that I've noticed. That would make a good trade off though: (near) guaranteed fire at the cost of a precious wolf repelling flare! :winky:

I did not know that the fire can be started with the flare already (I am saving the flares for said "wolf-repelling" situations :)). That is nice, I will try that definitely.

22 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

it sure would complicate interloper if there were penalties to fire starting when you were freezing etc.

22 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

it sure would complicate interloper if there were penalties to fire starting when you were freezing etc.

Definitely, Thats why it should be balanced out by the ability to use multiple pieces of tinder. 

Archived