Why is this Forum so Dead?

Mikesla

There is an alpha tester section where most of the activity is taking place. The section is only open (for now) to just the alpha players in order to managed bug tracking, reports, and actual player feedback. This is to make updates manageable in order for the Hinterland team to focus on all the coding and updates [there have been 5 updates and game tuning just over the past few days].

That section will open to the public at Early Access release on Sept 22 -- that's when people will have actual on hands playing feedback and bug findings, and will have multiple areas to include their own thoughts, ideas, and gameplay progress.

Once that opens, you'll see approximately 3000 more posts of gameplay information that has been taking place. 8-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We live in the social media age. Discussion forums are sadly becoming a outdated format, people simply aren't drawn to them like they were 10 years ago because there are so many other ways they can communicate with likeminded people (Twitter, Steam, Facebook, Twitch etc).

The forum theme also feels rather dated which tends to turn people off.

I think that activity will pick up as the game becomes more popular and more people become aware of The Long Dark. I only even heard of the game about a month ago.

The one good thing to remember, with the forum set up, is that most of the users who set up accounts and log on are much more productive [in a positive way] than the generic forums such as Steam where you get some good posts, but have to wade through 100 flame war posts to find them.

As well, this official forum is much easier for the devs to use in tracking bugs, feedbag, and updates since it can be organized as needed [and you can even see as the devs personally check off fixed bugs]. In long single column topic sections [like current steam forum and the original Hinterland forum from 2013], a lot of posts tend to get unread - and even when answers are given in posts, the users tend to just fly in and throw in their two cents without really caring about any responses from others.

Official forums may seem dated, but they do serve a purpose... and just look at how many feedback issues from this board have already been added to the game ;)

Final Note: Steam and social media forums are fine, but they aren't necessarily for dedicated players. As well, The Long Dark will eventually also be released in commercial/retail markets, so not all users will necessarily be from Steam one the game is completed 8-)

Tbh I prefer this forum cause it's the only way to adress the devs directly, wasn't possible on steam at all. Pretty obvious it's mostly the crowd of casual players there, what is nice for me, since I give feedback and enhance the quality of the product on this way, devs orientate themselves on us being around here, and the steamies give the money.

Good deal for us all.

We should start some flame wars/drama over here. Who wants to play the role of cross dressing dragon slayer?

Enough flame wars and drama there - that's where it's best staying... Don't want them flooding here just to keep the flame wars going (plus there are already a couple of Scouts who try their best to maintain at least some decorum there, so flame wars would simply pile on more tasks and time.

Archived