Do Items despawn?

Rada

I'm not sure if storage slows down the decay timer but almost all items, once picked up, do decay. There are a few exceptions but the only one I remember is the magnifying glass.

If you want to be sure an item doesn't despawn then don't pick it up (don't left click it) until you actually need it. The item will maintain its condition indefinitely as long as the player doesn't interact with it. The decay timer (and eventual despawning) only begins after that left click.

ALL items that degrade do slower when stored in any container. there are many items that do not degrade when not in use and just stored, wether in an container or not. i have performed many experiments and was quite frankly surprised by the results. however, if you wish to learn wich items do not decay, you will have to conduct your own experiements.

An easy rule of thumb is: all items that only degrade on use (like tools and weapons) are safe to drop on the ground. Also all items that don't degrade at all (like the magnifying glass, the fire starter and logs etc) are safe to drop on the ground. If an item degrades while you have it in your inventory, it will degrade slower in a container and faster when dropped on the ground.

Archived