Skill Tree

totorbanana

I have a suggestion for the Sandbox Mode. Maybe you should add a skill tree, where you use skill points to improve your character. You could possibly get skill points by harvesting resources, fishing, crafting, and surviving the night. Possible skills could include: carrying more items, finding more loot in loot containers, harvesting more efficiently, crafting more items, unjam your rifle quicker, and maybe even scaring wolves away without a flare or torch (this would be a top tier skill).

Skills could be nice, altho i think there should be different types of those, not some generic skill points/exp.

And those skills points should be used to directly improve appropriate skills, bit by bit.

Like improving cooking time, improving calorie output, increasing preservation time(faster fire starting, longer burning duration, higher chance to start fire, etc) - a lot of skills, bit expensive skill points(with no limit). Allowing player to make specific char builds.

Bonuses could be minuscule, like 1-2% per point invested, with progressively increasing cost.

Every certain amount of levels, player unlocks an expensive perk(and that cost a lot of exp points), that would provide some specific bonus or unique crafting recipe.

Fishing, hunting, running, crafting, repairing, even sleeping(and so on), there could be so many variations.

I have a suggestion for the Sandbox Mode. Maybe you should add a skill tree, where you use skill points to improve your character. You could possibly get skill points by harvesting resources, fishing, crafting, and surviving the night. Possible skills could include: carrying more items, finding more loot in loot containers, harvesting more efficiently, crafting more items, unjam your rifle quicker, and maybe even scaring wolves away without a flare or torch (this would be a top tier skill).

But its more realistic the way it is. You improve in what you do. And what kind of skill would finding more loot be?

Skills would provide player with some type of progression in terms of survival, as player survives longer, he adapts to surrounding conditions(starting with muscle density and placement and ending with resistance to toxins/poisons) and learns to perform everyday tasks far more efficiently. Its kinda weird that after gutting and skinning dozens of corpses player is still doing it at the same speed and efficiency as on day one. And so on with every aspect of the game.

And "every other game having skill tree" argument is simply false. For every survival game that has skills(not to mention skill tree) there is at least 2 that dont.

No please, the skill tree thing would make it too much of an RPG or whatever instead of survival as normal human guy. Don't see how this would improve the game, it would just make it boring after a while and to people that don't have the game yet it'll look like they need to farm skill points in order to have fun which is a big turn off...

A skill tree would break the immersion of the game. I would despise the fact taht every now and again, my peace and solace in the game will be shattered by "YOU HAVE UNLOCKED A NEW SKILL POINT, PRESS Y TO UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS".

I much prefer Hinterland's surreptitious skill improvement bar. Tiered tools I don't mind. Tiered skills? no thanks.

Archived