Journal details and meat freezing

Packet802

Only been playing this great game a little over a week. Been trying not to read too much on the forums because I don't want spoilers but two things I'd like to see are:

1. More detailed journal entries - entries for things like on days when a wolf attacked or new locations discovered or other significant events to have a journal entry.

2. Would be nice to be able to freeze meat to slow the decay process. I tried to leave a few pieces of meat on the snowbank outside of the trapper cabin door to see if freezing it would slow the decay process. Didn't seem to make a difference though.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

I have been thinking about this to. Just throwing food in the snow should preserve it, but then there would be a great chance of animals taking it. The outdoor green backpacks could allow for safe storage while preserving it. I have also thought it would be nice to be able to create an outside storage cash in strategic locations.

I don't know. Snow is cold (even in sunlight) because it is white and the sunlight doesn't affect it much. Something dark, like meat, would in fact heat up during daytime and spoil just the same.

You would need to cover your food in snow/ice to preserve it.

I have been thinking about this as well. The easiest fix for this would be to take one of the containers already in the game ("Plastic Container" or "Metal Container" - or even a chest of drawers), move it to the roof of your base and fill it up with ice and snow (and whatever food you wish to cool, of course). Out of reach for wolves and bears and strong enough to keep crows out.

Easiest way would be to store food in any structure that is not used as home base, eg where player makes fire.

With constant temperature below freezing point meat would literally last forever.

Not this current crap where it spoils at the hyper speeds. Whole food preservation part of the game needs some serious reworking.

MREs, for example, have shelf life of 5 years, while realistically they can last as long as 15. Certain canned foods, like peaches, due to abundance of water, would burst due to ice expanding, making them first candidates to be consumed. Snacks can last for months. Canned foods can last for decades as well, if preserved right. Frozen meat can sit in the freezer for months. And so on and so forth.

Winter and sub-zero temperatures are one of the cornerstones of the game. Yet it seem to have absolutely zero effect on food preservation. How absurd is that ? A parameter that would extend life of any food product by a huge margin is completely ignored. Whole game is a race for food micromanagement and making choices what to eat first.

I have been thinking about this to. Just throwing food in the snow should preserve it, but then there would be a great chance of animals taking it. The outdoor green backpacks could allow for safe storage while preserving it. I have also thought it would be nice to be able to create an outside storage cash in strategic locations.

IMO, the backpack with some meat in it could be taken or even reaped by animals such as a wolf or a bear, or a wolverine. The best place should be the trunk of the car (some people on the forum already considered that), or a container.

Animals would rip the backpack to get the food. Bears would even rip open the metal boxes you sometimes find outside.

I'm with you in general though. Frozen meat should be good to go. Of course, frozen meat isn't going to last as long as that store-bought package of vaccuum packed beef jerky, an MRE, or a can of condensed milk...and those all degrade.

Archived