Player Scale (Size in world)

TorQueMoD

I didn't notice this being mentioned elsewhere after a quick search so I thought I would bring it up here. The player scale is completely wrong. I've always felt that the player seems really really small compared to the world and it drives me nuts. The player's scale inside buildings is fine, but when walking around outside, you seem like you're 3 feet tall. Seriously, the reeds in Mystery Lake are taller than you are:

TLD_PlayerHeight.jpg

Also when compared to the texture scale of the snow, the height of trees and grass and pretty much everything outside you're far too short. I know how irritating it is to adjust the scale of anything at this point in the development but it really ruins the immersion.

I agree that jumping would also be awesome, but I can understand the lack of it from a design perspective. You have to ensure that your world is designed in a way that players can't figure out how to get out of the world or stuck in a stupid spot if you add jumping. Then they'd have to go through and add invisible walls in all sorts of places to prevent players from getting where they shouldn't.

When I think about it though the perception of player height could be fixed quite simply by scaling down the snow textures and maybe adjusting the tree models so that the base isn't quite so high and scaling down the grass and reeds by 50%. Everything else seems to be to scale fairly well.

And 40KG of stuff on your back? Unless you want to be encumbered, 30kg is the default limit... did Hinterland add a hidden gym somewhere that lets you weight train to carry and extra 10kg? :P

And I always thought the scale of the houses was pretty accurate. You're definitely a dwarf though :)

But part of that realistic 6-8 feet is from the bottom of the lake. Standing on ice on lake surface you are probably 2-4 feet up.

Of course it's also unrealistic that cattails only grow on the lake itself, not on the shore edges. Shrug.

The player scale never seemed too short to me, as there are many different sizes of plant life to give scale, as well as the animals.

RE: Jumping -- an full-out jump would not be practical since most people are carrying around 60lbs or so of junk, however a small hop to clear the 2-6 inch high obstacles (like snow-drifts on Coastal Highway) would prevent a lot of frustration and make things a bit more realistic. It would also make retrieving arrows from tree trunks due to high shots a bit more successful.

The player scale never seemed too short to me, as there are many different sizes of plant life to give scale, as well as the animals.

RE: Jumping -- an full-out jump would not be practical since most people are carrying around 60lbs or so of junk, however a small hop to clear the 2-6 inch high obstacles (like snow-drifts on Coastal Highway) would prevent a lot of frustration and make things a bit more realistic. It would also make retrieving arrows from tree trunks due to high shots a bit more successful.

Agreed, and cattails can easily be as tall as the ones pictured in the OP.

The small hop is a decent idea. I'm not keen on adding jumping like in other games but the short hop might be just enough.

I don't need jumping. But climbing over obstacles (climbing as in "climbing stairs", i.e. making a step upwards rather than forwards) and mantling would be awesome. Mantling and climbing are one of the few physical advantages we humans have over wolves, so it would be great to have in the game.

Step up ~= small hop, just some mechanic to clear the very low obstacles that can interrupt your forward motion for no apparent reason. If by mantling you mean a short climb over a rock face, say to escape animal attack, it's not a bad idea but should be very expensive and accident prone. Climbing a rope with a well-set backpack is very feasible, as the weight-shifting would be neglible, but the constant weight-shifting and CoG changes that free-climbing entails make it a chancy endeavor. Better than gettin' et, though.

Archived