My Feedback about this game.

HomeroTLD

I’ve been playing the long dark for some long time and have some feedback for you devs. English is not my mother language so forgive me for some bad English.

The bad things:

- The fire light go through the walls. If you light a fireplace in some house you can see the light in the other side of the wall, is this normal? I think not.

- When you are fishing you don’t stop fishing even if you are taking damage. The first time I notice this my health dropped from 100% to 60% and I couldn’t do anything to stop it. Smashed the keyboard and nothing.

- You cant cook more than a thing at the same time, which is not true in real life. Sometimes you spend a lot of hours to cook 6 or 7 meals and that’s too boring, can you guys add some pan or something? I feel this cooking super long time breaks the realism of the game.

- You can repair and harvest things in the dark, this should be not happening. How is possible to clean a rifle or sharp an knife in the complete darkness?

Things to improve:

- I WANT A BIG FOOT SO BAD, PLZ. Can you guys do it? Do something like: “After 100 days in stalker mode there is a chance of finding big foot tracks in the snow, if you manage to find him you can hunt him” Make him drop something unique that you can put in your living room of yours safehouse idk.

- Can we have some backpack system? Make the player start with some low capacity backpack and make some other ones that are better, to loot or maybe craft.

- Can you guys make every region have something unique to loot? Maybe add some arctic white wolf in the timberwolf montain? Maybe make some red feathers from the crowns from the mistery lake? I feel like there is no need to go to another regions unless you want to explore new stuff.

- I feel like I want some way to take pictures, can you guys add some Polaroid old style picture machine?

- Can we craft some other things with bear skin? I feel like the bear is a high risk low reward challenge, simple not worth it.

- Can you make the characters unique? Maybe the man can carry some more stuff and the woman can walk a little bit faster? I don’t know this idea looks good to me.

Things I like:

- The environment sounds are amazing. 10/10 great job.

- I like the fact that every map feels unique, so I can play the game a lot of time with not that “hmm, I am bored” feelings.

- The loot from the stalker mode is very balanced and that’s good for the game, you really fell happy to find quality tools, for example.

- I feel like this game is a very good experience for non casual players, there is a lot of things to improve and learn.

Cooking utensils (pans etc) is in the game... you just can't pick them up, use them, or harvest them for scraps metal. They basically decoration.

I haven't seen a kitchen knife for like... ever. Super market or just a bazaar is also missing in the map. Don't tell me that everyone who once lived there basically hunts their own food, make the own clothes? Seriously?

+1 for the mechanical Polaroid idea.

+1 from me, too. This has been suggested a long time ago and I would still like it very much. You could take in-game pictures of your base, your first deer, your crafted wolfskin jacket etc. and put them up on the wall above your bed. Would make your base more homely.

I had and used Polaroids back when I was growing up in an area like in the game -- Polaroid film didn't do very well in cold weather (let alone in sub-zero temperatures). They also have a fairly short shelf life and really need to be used as soon after being made as possible [shelf life really deteriorates quickly by 1 year old film].

Additionally just because the game is located in a remote northern region of Canada doesn't mean only old technology is available. As from the broken flatscreen TV's in the game, new cameras would be more prevalent [and even more economical]. Polaroid film and cameras simply wouldn't be in very big supply.

Don't forget - the game still takes place in relatively modern time.

I can understand wanting to take photos, but I'm not sure how much gameplay value they would add apart from perhaps having to prove a task was completed to an NPC. It could probably be done in the game, but would it really advance any gameplay in sandbox mode (given that another function or feature might have to be omitted in order to program all the coding and tracking).

Is there a specific reason for needing the photos, or is it mostly for decoration?

I know picture of "your first deer [kill]" was mentioned, but after a plane crash and simply trying to survive, I would think harvesting and prepping the meat [and eating] would take precedence over taking the time to set up and take a picture.

Not trying to put down the idea, I'm just lost as to the gameplay logistics. :?

Cooking utensils (pans etc) is in the game... you just can't pick them up, use them, or harvest them for scraps metal. They basically decoration.

I haven't seen a kitchen knife for like... ever. Super market or just a bazaar is also missing in the map. Don't tell me that everyone who once lived there basically hunts their own food, make the own clothes? Seriously?

I have thought that yes, kitchen knife and pocket knife would be good to include in game. Also flashlight and batteries.

You should have to carry a pan or coffee pot to melt snow into water for campfires. You should start with one, and find one at most stoves. I like the idea of pan allowing you to cook 2 items at once. Carry pan and coffee pot allows you to cook and melt snow at the same time. Is it worth the extra weight? Player must decide.

Regarding no bazaar or super market. In rural up north areas, store may be 2 hour drive away. You take your pickup, go grocery shopping and really stock up so you don't have to go again for at least 2 weeks, maybe a month. With winter coming, you may decide to buy enough to last through the winter. I figure game is set at a time when winter ran long or came early and roads snowed in, most people ate through their supplies which is why there isn't tons of food in each cabin.

It is odd there isn't more things that look modern. Lots of hunting cabins in the woods have the same furniture, stove, etc that was there in the 1950s, maybe a new microwave and refrigerator from 1980s. Still, animate a laptop and throw it in most of the cabins. Broke, dead battery, or geomagnetic anomaly fried it, so it's just 'decoration' but that kind of decoration will help set this game as 'modern, but in the Up North Woods'

+1 for the mechanical Polaroid idea.

+1 from me, too. This has been suggested a long time ago and I would still like it very much. You could take in-game pictures of your base, your first deer, your crafted wolfskin jacket etc. and put them up on the wall above your bed. Would make your base more homely.

Feel free to take the screenshot whenever you want.

Agree cooking more than one slab of meat at a time makes sense.

Polaroids, if added, should probably have the shelf life of raw meat.

-1 on the yeti/bigfoot. TLD isn't a scifi game. Completely against any mythological creatures being added.

I'd play [insert any other game name here] if I wanted that in my game. Any fake creatures added and I'd lose interest.

Archived