"Drop Backpack" Button - Shed Weight Fast

BinkyATX

This is assuming that McKenzie is hauling a rucksack of some sort.

When the extra starvation mechanics hit, weight and associated calories burned from weight is going to be more of an issue for survivalist players. Players are going to want to be able to shed weight quickly to save calories standing around and assessing their situation, but currently to do that they will need to drop everything individually, and have to pick up everything individually, which can take an annoying amount of clicking.

I think it would be useful to the player if he had an option to "drop all" his/her inventory. This would spawn a unique player backpack where anything the player wasn't wearing as clothes is held within. The player can then rummage around the backpack and remove one item at a time, or maybe up to 10 lbs worth, to start a fire or do some crafting without worrying about doing extended inventory juggling. When done, the player would pick up the backpack and carry weight restrictions are back to normal.

I can imagine players returning to their camp after a big looting spree, exhaustion setting in, and a blizzard nipping at their heels as they step inside a house. The first thing I'd want to after closing the door and feeling the temperature change is to drop that heavy load on the ground like a sack of potatoes, and the satisfying sound of it hitting the ground letting my brain know, "I'm done for the day, time to stay at home."

EDIT:

To further clarify, the backpack would be a storage container the player can spawn, and can only spawn one. I'm not saying redo the current inventory system or the weight management system of dropping things individually. This one extra inventory option would simply be another choice to help players make decisions about what they're carrying without the penalty of burning unnecessary calories.

I would imagine the acts of dropping the backpack and putting it back on would have the interaction progress bar many other activities have.

Players forgetting they dropped their backpack might be a minor issue, so perhaps a screen prompt of condition "No Backpack" would be sufficient. The only step further would be to change the color of carry-able weight in the inventory screen to a blue hue. If the player is exhausted as well, a lighter hue of purple would make sense.

SECOND EDIT:

To further further clarify, a player can continue to store things in the dropped backpack, much like they would storing items in drawers/cupboards/etc.

• 1 year later...
The first thing I'd want to after closing the door and feeling the temperature change is to drop that heavy load on the ground like a sack of potatoes, and the satisfying sound of it hitting the ground letting my brain know, "I'm done for the day, time to stay at home."

Pff, no1 with such attitude would survive in any type extreme situation.

It doesnt matter how tired you are, when your life depends on content of that backpack, youl be really really really careful with it. This "im done for the day" or "im not in a mood" attitude is what separates survivors from corpses.

Dropping it while fleeing with high possibility of damage to various objects, depending on their type(like when wolf goes thru that stuff it will most likely tear clothes to shreds) and loss of certain foods, could be quite realistic and interesting idea.

I like this idea. You could also take it one step further, and make the backpacks physical items with different capacities. Then when you come across a backpack that has been abandoned, you could pick it up and decide whether to equip it as your active pack, or save it as a separate excursion or storage pack.

I like this idea a lot too.

simple implementation, drop everything you aren't wearing or have in your hand. It creates a container that has everything you had. You'd pick the specific items out and once it was empty it would disappear. I don't think you'd necessarily have to have any sort of limit or counter, just like you magically have an infinite supply of water bottles, who cares if you drop your backpack in a spot, go collect some sticks and drop a brand new backpack even though you never picked up everything from your old one.

I'd actually like to see a slightly more complex mechanic as well. You should be able to tag a few items like 1 knife and 1 hatchet to be in holsters on your belt. It would be just like wearing cloths, you'd 'check' them.

Also allow cumulatively 1 KG of items to be checked as 'in pockets' You could pick a candybar or two, some matches, a tinder or two, maybe some medicine, maybe some would choose fish lures, etc. This way when you drop your gear you retain a few select items.

+1 to several ideas in here. You should definitely be able to drop stuff in an instant. I also really like akodo1's idea about being able to put a few small items in your pocket or on a belt, that way if you do have to drop stuff youre not totally screwed. I feel that is not out of the realm of realism. Also to Jebru's backpack idea. Ive often wondered that, why we couldn't take the bag with us or upgrade our own.

Archived