Flexible thirst

metsavend

First of all - English is not my first language, so I apologize in advance.

I understand perfectly, why one would need to drink 2+ litres of water per day when traveling in difficult terrain with heavy load, especially when you're running or climbing snowy hills and sometimes fight with wolves. But I don't understand thirst and sleep connection in this game. You're somewhat thirsty in the morning, sure. But how can someone become severely dehydrated just after good 10h sleep, is beyond me. It's annoyingly unrealistic.

In short - I wish thirst level would be more flexible and depends directly on your activities.

- When running, climbing, carrying heavy load, harvesting carcasses, dismantle furniture - considerably high need for water.

- When you're sleeping or otherwise relatively passive: repairing clothes, cleaning gun, sharpening knife/hatchet, fishing etc - need for water would grow much slower.

10 hrs sleeping you would need a good drink that is for sure, who wouldn't wake up thirsty after sleeping that long? we are not bears and don't hibernate when we sleep. I think you will need to drink a lot more if walking or running around that long in game.

10 hrs sleeping you would need a good drink that is for sure, who wouldn't wake up thirsty after sleeping that long? we are not bears and don't hibernate when we sleep. I think you will need to drink a lot more if walking or running around that long in game.

Yes, you would need a good drink after 10-12h sleep, but thirst level should not be lifethreating. You never get sick from dehydration just because you had good full night sleep :), especially when you have had plenty of water right before turning in. You're not fully hibernating during sleep, but your body is still in "stand-by" mode and doesn't need so much food and water.

And in case your water or food level really become dangerously low when sleeping (when you went to bed really hungry or thirsty), you should automatically wake up, not let it to damage your body. It's a natural reaction.

Correct. Also keep in mind that a cold climate may be very dry. You would lose more water than under normal conditions just by breathing.

Losing 2% health per hour is not even in the same league as bleeding or freezing and should not be considered a major threat. It's just a situation that will require some attention in the near future... like within 24 hours to avoid feeling rundown (50% life).

Honestly, I think anyone who is going to sleep for the night with more than 60% health remaining is over-using their resources and should rethink their strategies or at least understand then why they are constantly in a shortage.

Honestly, I think anyone who is going to sleep for the night with more than 60% health remaining is over-using their resources and should rethink their strategies or at least understand then why they are constantly in a shortage.

I'm the other way around. The game is perfectly playable maintaining 100% condition through staying warm, well rested, fed and hydrated. That's kind of the point, and it's not a difficult thing to achieve. You just need to be planning a day or two ahead. Especially for something like water, which is really easy to obtain. You should always be able to make a fire, otherwise something is really wrong with your situation.

Right now freezing for too long brings on hypothermia - I would think you could devise a similar penalty for every need. Excessive exhaustion may temporarily lower total carry weight, a minor thing but you don't need to go too far with this. Starvation might create a temporary reduction in the "Feels Like" temperature to simulate the loss of body fat and energy reserves to keep warm. Excessive dehydration could reduce your stamina for sprinting/climbing.

As for water intake - I get that technically there should be a much larger difference between calories and water required for active days versus sleeping, but for gameplay purposes I think it's kind of necessary. Hibernation strategies already extend survival time significantly, and this sort of change would only make them go even further.

Archived