Fishing in The Long Dark

Wasteland Watcher

Hello again fellow survivors,

Regarding fishing, does it make a difference what time of day you fish for the amount or size of fish you'll catch?

The reason I ask is because IRL I've noticed fish bite a lot more either in the very early morning (4-6 AM) or at dusk.

If I go ice-hole fishing in the Long Dark is it the same, or is this game set up so the time of day you go fishing doesn't matter?

• 2 weeks later...

I do not think the time of day matters, unless I just haven't noticed it. I'll have to test this out and would like to know what others think also. I honestly haven't fished much because it doesn't seem that practical, although now that tackle is basically infinite, it isn't hurting anything. Tackle used to be better used as improvised sewing kits, but that was only when metal was in short supply.

• 2 weeks later...
I do not think the time of day matters, unless I just haven't noticed it. I'll have to test this out and would like to know what others think also. I honestly haven't fished much because it doesn't seem that practical, although now that tackle is basically infinite, it isn't hurting anything. Tackle used to be better used as improvised sewing kits, but that was only when metal was in short supply.

Before when metal was used to repair knives & hatchets it seemed fishing was an impractical use of metal.

Now that we have whetstones to repair knives and hatchets I will give fishing a shot.

The plan is to experiment with fishing in two hour blocks: 4am-6am, noon-2pm, 5pm-7pm over a five day period and compare statistics on what's caught.

• 2 weeks later...
Re fishing I have a tool, box lines and hooks how do I make a fishing line

work bench.1st recipe

oops, my bad. i was still half asleep when i posted this. the 1st recipe is the old man beard bandages. i think tackle is the 5th.

as for fishing times, my experience has been thet i catch the best fish (Coho & small mouth) during dawn & dusk hours.

Hello again fellow survivors,

Regarding fishing, does it make a difference what time of day you fish for the amount or size of fish you'll catch?

I've tested this a bit (7 days of fishing, 24h/day in 2h sessions, location: Coastal Highway) recently as someone on the German Forums was asking the same questions. I've translated my results and will simply post them here as well, guess you might be interested in them. Sorry for not noticing your thread earlier.^^

To cut a long story short: I did catch slightly more trouts in the afternoon and indeed caught a tiny bit more salmons at night & in the afternoon than in the evening, but the difference was so minor that I personally rather believe this to be a mere coincidence.

Had I fished more than 170h (e.g. 1000h), the numbers would probably have evened out at some point. But I really lack the ambition to fish another 830h in a row, sorry. ;)

fishing.thumb.jpg.aef9de4b6d295b0ea1d537

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that certain fishing cabins will offer an increased chance of big catches compared to other huts, yet i have no way of testing this as it could be tied to luck.

What i did manage to succesfully test is that at different time periods you do catch different fish.

Nightfall, dusk, noon, late noon, midnight and past midnight all seem to give different results.

In coastal highway you will catch loads of blue fish past the 4kg mark at around 10-12pm (~1 out of every 5 fish), at any other time period you will catch them about ~1 out of every 9 fish (excl at dawn where it seemed impossible to catch one and at dawn i catched a lot of ~750 gram fish, they seemed a bit thicker towards the noon, ranging from ~1-1.7kg)

I have yet to test if different time periods give you more/less fish of a certain fish as i stated above that different periods give you different fish.

Archived