Your "wolf strategies" at start

Wasteland Watcher

At the start of a new game, what are your strategies regarding wolves?

I noticed that if I have a hunting knife I can fight one off after a five second or so struggle (going spastic on the attack key) but I tend to get a laceration or maybe a sprain out of it.

At the start of a new game do you recommend fighting wolves with the knife or is there a better strategy?

At the start of a new game I will avoid wolves (and bears) at all cost. Once I have at least a hatchet but preferably a knife I will take more risk but will try to avoid wolves when possible.

Torches and flares can be lifesavers when running into wolves you don't want to fight.

Avoid at all costs.

A few strategies:

1. If you have a torch or flare, try to drive a deer into where a wolf is pacing around - the wolf will chase down, kill deer and you can use the torch or flare to scare wolf away to get meat, skin and guts from deer.

2. If you have a rifle, what I call The Wolf Protocol is drop meat, back up, crouch and wait. Wolf eats meat, and shoot wolf. That, or drop a flare and just get between you and the wolf and shoot in the face.

1) make lots and lots of torches.

2) find a rifle and ammo ASAP.there 4 outdoors locations in ML where one might be found. there is also the possibility that the weapons cache near camp office is available on any game start. and there the possible indoor places where one may be found. (in one start, i had found 5 rifles in ML alone.)

3) always carry a torch in good weather or a flare when windy (do not light either until you hear a wolf). when you see the wolf, drop your lit torch or flare (do not throw) and take a cuople steps back keeping the torch between you and the wolf. the wolf will charge at you but stop short of the torch to growl at you for a few seconds. this is your opening, take aim with your rifle and shoot him in the head.

now you have 7 to 12 pounds of meat, 2 guts, and 1/4 of your wolfskin coat. but be warned, many places have 2 wolves. if you are very careful, you can get both,if not, one gets you.

some of the more experienced players may think me a fool for dealing with wolves in this manner, but on my current game, i am on day 14 and already have a wolf skin coat and a half dozen more wolf hides still curing, not to mention the 70 pounds of meat.

im me if you would like a list of possible rifle locations.

1) In case someone didn't know this yet: you can make a fire and if the fire has a duration of 20 min or more you can take out a torch. RMB to extinguish it and then H to holster it. Click on the fire to repeat as often as you would like. No need to craft torches and use up precious kerosene.

On another note, wolves can detect you from a much greater distance when you are carrying raw meat. Carrying cooked meat increases the detection distance slightly (compared to not carrying anything that smells), fresh gut increases it a bit more and raw meat increases it a lot. Keep this in mind when trying to avoid wolves!

1) make lots and lots of torches.

2) find a rifle and ammo ASAP.there 4 outdoors locations in ML where one might be found. there is also the possibility that the weapons cache near camp office is available on any game start. and there the possible indoor places where one may be found. (in one start, i had found 5 rifles in ML alone.)

3) always carry a torch in good weather or a flare when windy (do not light either until you hear a wolf). when you see the wolf, drop your lit torch or flare (do not throw) and take a cuople steps back keeping the torch between you and the wolf. the wolf will charge at you but stop short of the torch to growl at you for a few seconds. this is your opening, take aim with your rifle and shoot him in the head.

now you have 7 to 12 pounds of meat, 2 guts, and 1/4 of your wolfskin coat. but be warned, many places have 2 wolves. if you are very careful, you can get both,if not, one gets you.

some of the more experienced players may think me a fool for dealing with wolves in this manner, but on my current game, i am on day 14 and already have a wolf skin coat and a half dozen more wolf hides still curing, not to mention the 70 pounds of meat.

im me if you would like a list of possible rifle locations.

1) In case someone didn't know this yet: you can make a fire and if the fire has a duration of 20 min or more you can take out a torch. RMB to extinguish it and then H to holster it. Click on the fire to repeat as often as you would like. No need to craft torches and use up precious kerosene.

On another note, wolves can detect you from a much greater distance when you are carrying raw meat. Carrying cooked meat increases the detection distance slightly (compared to not carrying anything that smells), fresh gut increases it a bit more and raw meat increases it a lot. Keep this in mind when trying to avoid wolves!

A few strategies:

1. If you have a torch or flare, try to drive a deer into where a wolf is pacing around - the wolf will chase down, kill deer and you can use the torch or flare to scare wolf away to get meat, skin and guts from deer.

2. If you have a rifle, what I call The Wolf Protocol is drop meat, back up, crouch and wait. Wolf eats meat, and shoot wolf. That, or drop a flare and just get between you and the wolf and shoot in the face.

Thank you guys. I almost feel like you're teaching me while out on a camping trip.

Up until this point I'd only hunt+explore on a sunny day after making 3~4 torches with magnif. glass.+sticks (and saving matches for blizzard days when I have to stay in and can make 10 hours worth of potable water on one match).

I don't know why I didn't think of using a flare as a makeshift "instant torch" on an overcast or windy day.

Is the flare enough to keep you a little warm? I've noticed that even with crappy clothes I stay a lot warmer walking with a torch.

I hate to ask a dumb question but: "Can I drop a lit flare when it's down to 10% and light a torch from it?"

Realistically I know I could but I'm still learning how the game mechanics work and would rather not have to experiment "in the wild."

I will give the 'drop lit torch between enemy and me, take aim and shoot' method a go because I've finally found the Trapper's Cabin, rifle, and 5 bullets. :)

I strictly avoid wolves when I'm without any weapon. But after I get a hunting knife if my condition is good and I have 10kg "free" to carry I'll walk within 100 feet of one to get it to notice me.

When I see that it has and is walking towards me I'll drop the torch and strip stark naked as fast as possible. I then walk around in front of the torch.

The wolf then attacks but I'm already swinging like a madman and more often than not within less than 5 seconds the fight is done and the wolf is running off.

I'll redress as quickly as possible, pick up my torch, and follow.

I now have two wolf hides curing and have been searching two days for the last wolf that ran straight up a hill I could not climb near the Tunnel Collapse after I smacked it when it lunged at naked me.

You see, the very first wolf I killed tore my pants to ruin. So now I walk around with no pants and started stripping before fighting.

Am I crazy?

Is the flare enough to keep you a little warm? I've noticed that even with crappy clothes I stay a lot warmer walking with a torch.

I think it gives off some heat (as does the lantern btw), but I'm not sure and I have no clue as to how much warmth it gives off if any.

I hate to ask a dumb question but: "Can I drop a lit flare when it's down to 10% and light a torch from it?"

No idea. I say try it and let us know :P You can start a fire with a burning flare.

Three things to note on fighting wolves:

1. Clothes offer protection, some more than others. While undressing may safe your clothes, not undressing may safe your skin.

2. Some wolves are stronger than others (most). While you may be able to fight 5 regular wolves in a row, if you meet such a super wolf it may be over for you even if you are at 100%. Good clothes can be the difference between surviving such a fight or not.

3. The wolf fur coat has a chance to scare wolves away, just like they always run away from you in pilgrim.

I think it gives off some heat (as does the lantern btw), but I'm not sure and I have no clue as to how much warmth it gives off if any.

No idea. I say try it and let us know :P You can start a fire with a burning flare.

Three things to note on fighting wolves:

1. Clothes offer protection, some more than others. While undressing may safe your clothes, not undressing may safe your skin.

2. Some wolves are stronger than others (most). While you may be able to fight 5 regular wolves in a row, if you meet such a super wolf it may be over for you even if you are at 100%. Good clothes can be the difference between surviving such a fight or not.

3. The wolf fur coat has a chance to scare wolves away, just like they always run away from you in pilgrim.

Elloco, thank you -- you may have just saved my life.

So...some wolves are really stronger then others in The Long Dark?

As in some have higher strength or more hit points than others?

I imagine I can discover on my own if I get bitten when I'm out of antiseptic+band aids some time... but what happens if you don't treat a wolf bite?

It's my fourth game now and the behavior I've observed so far is that all wolves only attack if you get close enough for them to notice you.

When I started a hunting knife was found within two minutes and five minutes later I encountered my first wolf.

I must have been getting very lucky with the first four wolves because I've been able to fight all of them off with that hunting knife, then (weather permitting) I'd follow until it dies and harvest it (generally 5 kg meat).

Those knife fights finish within 5 seconds.

Half result in either not being hurt or having a "laceration" that needs no care and shows "no condition" within 2 game minutes (just lucky I guess?) and the other half result in a sprain.

The last though was different: it was eating a deer near kind of near Clear Cut. It attacked once and I beat him off quickly and I think I had a sprained wrist. Then while I was dressing the deer carcass he came back and attacked again, but the second attack seemed stronger and it took longer to fight him off (10 seconds?). I got a "wolf bite" and sprained ankle from that.

I don't like to risk infection so treated the bite immediately.

Was that a 'super wolf?' It was getting dark so after I dressed the deer carcass I went back home (Camp Office).

That was in-game yesterday. I'm contemplating going back to the area to search for the wolf.

Would you?

You mention that the wolf coat scares some wolves away, what if you're carrying meat? Does the "meat smell" cancel out the wolf's "being scare of you?"

Question on decoys:

I have a 0.2 kg piece of 20% rotten cooked meat that I plan to use as a decoy.

If I've harvested an animal and am carrying 5 kg of fresh raw meat home and am noticed by a wolf, what happens after I drop that small piece of rotten meat and keep moving away?

Will the wolf still pursue you?

If you're exploring while wearing a wolf coat (not carrying meat) most wolves will avoid you as long as you give them space, right?

So the ones that attack you anyhow are "super wolves?"

for free food of course steer deer to wolf and then...

1. if buildings near by, make sure wolf see you and start chasing you... run into the building.

2. if you have a torch, attract wolf and drop torch.

3. with flare .. throw it at wolf and it will run away.

4. i always have small bits of venison... 0.2kg, literally like 10 cal. approach wolf from 90 degree angle (from the side) while crouching. when 10 meters left or so (~30 ft), drop the decoy and start running away, wolf will get to decoy and start eating it, while you get away.

On TM map, on crystal lake mostly i use #1 and #4. This was more like a food guide.

P.s i kill wolves only last chance of defense, or if i need its pelts for clothing... then i simply get deer + wolf combo. i been at TM map for 30+ days... i dont think i used a single round nor a bow.

As far as avoiding, when you see a wolf, that is gonna cross your path, either change path and go around, or start crouching... wolf must be like 1-2 meters away if you crouching to attack you. Crouching basically makes you invisible, kind of like splinter cell :) if wolf sees you, cheap version of escaping is climb a rock, or place where wolf cant get you, and he will walk away. Also fallen big trees works as well, just climb it and wolf will go away.

edit: if you carry a lot of meat, and have small decoy... dont press decoy button because it will drop 1 kg peace. drop tiny piece manually. Wolf will slow down, approach meat, and will eat it. of course since its small piece, it will take much less... but still give you plenty of time to escape.

Archived