Lantern or Torch? Your long term guide.

n0xiety

Now you might be wondering, why would i turn kerosene into a torch while i could use it in a lantern. I did some tests and seems a torch burns alot longer for what it uses.

A torch can be made out of 0.10l of kerosene and burns for 90 minutes. On the other hand 0.10l of kerosene burns for 24 minutes in a Lantern. So this shows us using kerosene for crafting torches is 3.75 times more conservative than simply using it in a lantern. Another thing is the lantern fuel degrades where it sits while torches does not so it is a better way of keeping it in stock. On top of this you can use torches for fending off wolfs.

Now you could argue that we have limited number of matches and using a match on a torch is a big waste. I would say you are right on that. Thing is, the available lantern fuel isn't that much to start with. Its not like you are going to have infinite number of torches. I just completely scavanged Highway and Desolation point and some parts of the Pleasant Valley, what i ended up with was mere 14l of kerosene in my storage. I could create 140 torches with this much. Now on the contrary i have about 600 matches and 2 firestrikers so that would make 700 matches. (If you ask me we should be able to scavange the piezoelectric spark generator from a lantern or simply find flint on ground and use it on iron to create sparks which would give us near infinite ability to create fires)

In the end it is up to you to weigh the importance of having more matches or more light time out of your kerosene. Decide which you want to preserve more.

I can`t tell you, what you better like for long life game play but I can tell you about mine.

I have one game now where I live near to 400 days, I only explored ML and PV.

Have lantern and Oil more than I need but I went out without lantern, only use it rare at night indoor.

Torches can be made easily from a fire without use clothes and kerosene, take it on the start page from the fire- or stove-hud.

I don`t know if this will be removed in the full version, because it is an very easy way to get torches only from wood but in the other way you don`t really need a light everywhere, only the first time at a location to explore it.

I save my lantern fuel for caves and mines. :-)

i only use a lantern if i am caught outside at night during high winds since torches are useless. and i never bother crafting torches. and i always use torches to light fires, even if i have to light one to light the fire, until my firebuilding skill reaches 100. 1 torch = many attempts per match vs. 1 attempt per match. if you are really so desperate to waste your kerosene, use it as accelerant early game to build your firebuilding skill.

i only use a lantern if i am caught outside at night during high winds since torches are useless. and i never bother crafting torches. and i always use torches to light fires, even if i have to light one to light the fire, until my firebuilding skill reaches 100. 1 torch = many attempts per match vs. 1 attempt per match. if you are really so desperate to waste your kerosene, use it as accelerant early game to build your firebuilding skill.

What about coal collecting? I am set up at Coastal Highway gas station and collect coal from 3 different mines regularly since they are close. This seems to take atleast 2 liters of kerosene if i do it really really quick. As you know coal respawns like limbs and is the best fuel in the game right now. For one hour fire only 0.3kg is needed and instead of chopping limbs, coal seems to be easier and less calorie intensive to get.

What about coal collecting? I am set up at Coastal Highway gas station and collect coal from 3 different mines regularly since they are close. This seems to take atleast 2 liters of kerosene if i do it really really quick. As you know coal respawns like limbs and is the best fuel in the game right now. For one hour fire only 0.3kg is needed and instead of chopping limbs, coal seems to be easier and less calorie intensive to get.

use torches for mining. they are the easiest and cheapest light source available. and you still need to collect wood since coal wont ignite until the fire reaches a certain temp.

Now on the contrary i have about 600 matches and 2 firestrikers so that would make 700 matches. (If you ask me we should be able to scavange the piezoelectric spark generator from a lantern or simply find flint on ground and use it on iron to create sparks which would give us near infinite ability to create fires)

In the end it is up to you to weigh the importance of having more matches or more light time out of your kerosene. Decide which you want to preserve more.

If you have 600 matches on you or stored, regardless of what you do you will have zero in 200 days at the most. Matches degrade 1% every 2 days once they've been handled. On long runs, knowing where you left matches on the floor that you didn't investigate, or which buildings you've avoided can be pretty important. On your second point if you find a magnifying glass you do have infinite fire.

So overall it seems like the Storm Lantern is the best light in used in windy places and not for any other purpose.

Right?

In general, for exploring outside I want to make a small campfire, get a torch from it, then walk along gather some wood while I explore, then make a fresh torch, and repeat until I get back home.

I only plan to do this on a day sunny enough to make a fire with the magnif. glass, and use the torch more to keep my warmth up than for light, and also as a wind gauge: if it blows out that means the weather is getting bad and I should return home.

Is this feasible?

How long does a torch last? I'd set a timer for 30 min before torch extinguishes so I can make the new campfire for the new torch.

I use a lantern only when:

- I'm outside in the dark and need some light (only to look for something or in really dark places, navigating can usually be done without extra light) and it's too windy for a torch.

- When I only need light for a short while (finding the bed in the dark) and I don't want to waste a match lighting a torch.

- When I need a light for a short to medium while (looting a building) but I'm running low on matches and the weather is not good enough to use the magnifying glass.

- Whenever I need light but I don't have a torch and the means to make one or something to light it. This hardly ever happens.

I do almost always carry the lantern and try to keep it filled.

So overall it seems like the Storm Lantern is the best light in used in windy places and not for any other purpose.

Right?

In general, for exploring outside I want to make a small campfire, get a torch from it, then walk along gather some wood while I explore, then make a fresh torch, and repeat until I get back home.

I only plan to do this on a day sunny enough to make a fire with the magnif. glass, and use the torch more to keep my warmth up than for light, and also as a wind gauge: if it blows out that means the weather is getting bad and I should return home.

Is this feasible?

How long does a torch last? I'd set a timer for 30 min before torch extinguishes so I can make the new campfire for the new torch.

Torches last for 90 in game minutes (if you don't brandish them).

The strategy you suggest would work but to me it's a bit cumbersome. I would light a fire using the magnifying glass, add fuel to get it to over 1 hour and then take three torches from it (take torch, RMD to extinguish it, H to holster it, click on the fire and repeat) and when a torch drops below 10% (check in the inventory) drop it by pressing H (holstering a burning torch will drop it instead), equip a new torch and light it of the dropped torch. This way you don't have to light a fire every 90 minutes. I think lighting a fire takes too much time to do it that often.

Each stick is 7 minutes worth of fire and it take 1 stick to light the fire so 10 sticks will give you 3 torches.

I'm not sure how much heat a torch gives off so I don't know if it will help keep you warm. It does do a good job at keeping wolves and bears from attacking you (just watch out it doesn't get blown out if you're using it this way).

I use a lantern only when:

- I'm outside in the dark and need some light (only to look for something or in really dark places, navigating can usually be done without extra light) and it's too windy for a torch.

- When I only need light for a short while (finding the bed in the dark) and I don't want to waste a match lighting a torch.

- When I need a light for a short to medium while (looting a building) but I'm running low on matches and the weather is not good enough to use the magnifying glass.

- Whenever I need light but I don't have a torch and the means to make one or something to light it. This hardly ever happens.

I do almost always carry the lantern and try to keep it filled.

Torches last for 90 in game minutes (if you don't brandish them).

The strategy you suggest would work but to me it's a bit cumbersome. I would light a fire using the magnifying glass, add fuel to get it to over 1 hour and then take three torches from it (take torch, RMD to extinguish it, H to holster it, click on the fire and repeat) and when a torch drops below 10% (check in the inventory) drop it by pressing H (holstering a burning torch will drop it instead), equip a new torch and light it of the dropped torch. This way you don't have to light a fire every 90 minutes. I think lighting a fire takes too much time to do it that often.

Each stick is 7 minutes worth of fire and it take 1 stick to light the fire so 10 sticks will give you 3 torches.

I'm not sure how much heat a torch gives off so I don't know if it will help keep you warm. It does do a good job at keeping wolves and bears from attacking you (just watch out it doesn't get blown out if you're using it this way).

Thank you very much!

Your advice is MUCH smarter than wasting time starting a fire every so often. I wasn't sure if I could "chain light" torches.

I've walked around with torches before and the fire from it kept my body temp high enough to walk around until I "got tired" and decided to return home to rest and all I'm wearing is boots, socks, long underwear, jeans, wool sweater, and muffler.

And if the wind is strong enough to blow it out, I just go home because I think it might mean a storm is headed my way.

If I'm "on a mission" to get to "point B for sure" then I'd take the storm lamp as well and start using it after my torch got blown out by the wind.

Appreciate the advice :)

Archived