Question regarding the Time scheduling (Updates & Storymode)

Scyzara

I know you guys at Hinterlands have been very busy to fix a lot of bugs on the various different platforms lately and I certainly don't want to be impolite or appear impatient, but I would be very interested to know whether we can expect a new content update (other than bugfixes I mean) in November.

Even more important: Do you still plan to release the Story mode by the end of the year? And if so, what does that mean for the Sandbox game? Does the release of the Story mode mean that the game is "finished" in your opinion and the Sandbox won't be expanded or changed (or even be playable) any more afterwards?

I would very much appreciate it if someone from the Team could answer these questions.

PS: And what about the merchandise shop you originally announced for last summer - any new information on that? Christmas is approaching and people will soon start to tell their families and friends what they wish for. Please don't deprive us of our coffe mugs (and yourself of a profitable Christmas business). ;)

You just asked the exact same questions that i have been asking myself for the past couple weeks.havent heard anything about a new update since the last one was released a month ago?usually there is something?

Also interested in some gear,even though nobody I know has any clue what The Long Dark is.The only game i have been playing for over a year!Love it,just my style and can play on computer at work!Whats better than that?

The last big update was actually October 15th, but it's understandable that some players only see "major updates" as those that add an entirely new region...In my opinion, this actually goes beyond what I would call a major update, considering the amount of work that goes into such a small amount of time. Since then, the team has been working tirelessly (as always) on new content. There are, of course, things I can't mention or really discuss here, but in between the obvious stuff you're all patiently waiting/hoping for, we've launched a Linux branch and a couple of smaller fixes.

I can't share any other details at this time, but I can tell you that story is still scheduled for the end of this year. The launch of story mode certainly does not definitively mean work on the game will cease. As we've stated before, some aspects of future development are potentially dependent on overall reception of the final product, but there are always plans for the future, and we will have another big update between now and the end of the year regardless.

Until then, thanks for the continued support, patience, and encouragement. It really does mean a lot to the team.

So glad to hear that the story mode isn't the end of content development. There are so many ways the team can build on what is an excellent ecosystem already, and no reason to start from scratch as far as I can see. I'm looking forward to the story, but I would also happily pay to see an additional series of areas with expanded mechanics in the future.

Thanks for the reply Bethany, I and am sure others dont take into consideration the time it takes to fix all the bugs, make the game playable with other operating systems etc.

Just eager for more territory to explore

And would like to add that I to would pay for DLC (new regions) for the Sandbox

Especially if you guys give the player a choice to turn off the planned NPC's

• 3 weeks later...

First let me give you at Hinterland a big thumbs up for the new area Desolation point- Nice work! :)

I am very much looking forward to the story release as well as new areas to explore.

I think its great that you have a store now and am thinking of getting a mug and maybe a poster.... I would also really like a survival style Long Dark LIGHTER. :) I also think if you produce in game merchandise that might go over well ... like a red hinterland scarf or tuque. :)

All the best- keep up the great work.

Little Fox~

The last big update was actually October 15th, but it's understandable that some players only see "major updates" as those that add an entirely new region...In my opinion, this actually goes beyond what I would call a major update, considering the amount of work that goes into such a small amount of time. Since then, the team has been working tirelessly (as always) on new content. There are, of course, things I can't mention or really discuss here, but in between the obvious stuff you're all patiently waiting/hoping for, we've launched a Linux branch and a couple of smaller fixes.

I can't share any other details at this time, but I can tell you that story is still scheduled for the end of this year. The launch of story mode certainly does not definitively mean work on the game will cease. As we've stated before, some aspects of future development are potentially dependent on overall reception of the final product, but there are always plans for the future, and we will have another big update between now and the end of the year regardless.

Until then, thanks for the continued support, patience, and encouragement. It really does mean a lot to the team.

Lady, you're beyond awesome.

Thank you for the info. :-)

Excited for the latest update, but sad this is no longer true "I can't share any other details at this time, but I can tell you that story is still scheduled for the end of this year". Spring 2016 is too far away :( What happened in the last 3 weeks for such a drastic change?

Spring isn't too far away (I know it must seem that way!), so the game will still be here before you know it. Sorry to make you sad, Wapocara -- Those dates are what we have available to share until final decisions and new announcements are made. I think this will definitely be worth the short wait.

Enjoy the new region and updates until then! Thanks to everyone for their patience and support. We're really excited to be able to share this with all of you.

Archived