Two general questions about game mechanic

Maikleeps

As far as i am aware, campfires dont scare them away they just hold them at bay, same as the torch,however the torch does not always work.

Im not sure if carrying meat etc makes a diff, but i would also like to know about this, as i always carry a spare bit of meat for a decoy/distraction.

So yeah, can anyone confirm this?

Campfires does scare them away just like your torch does.....sometimes.

Also from what I have learned and from fellow posters as well is that uncovered food does increase your chances at being detected/ "smelled" by a wolf and bear.

Raw meat highest chance, then down to cooked meat, then to packaged food, down to no food.

Campfires does scare them away just like your torch does.....sometimes.

Also from what I have learned and from fellow posters as well is that uncovered food does increase your chances at being detected/ "smelled" by a wolf and bear.

Raw meat highest chance, then down to cooked meat, then to packaged food, down to no food.

Good to know.

Regarding the cooked meat I had an idea that this might effect animals behaviour. Thanks for confirming.

For the camp fires, thank you too. I never dared to light a camp fire close to a wolf's route. Now I'm not comfortable with it but I will give it a try :-)

I was lighting a fire in the cave in Desolation Point when I heard a wolf come up. Not only did it wait patiently while I finished lighting the fire, it stood stock still while I equipped my rifle, took careful aim, and shot it right between the eyes.

Can wolves circle a fire, if their movement isn't restricted by the confines of close terrain?

If you move straight back, keeping the fire between you and the wolf, they will not circle the fire (or dropped burning torch/ flare), at least not for a good while. If you move of to the side, at some point the fire will not be between you and the wolf enough to hold it back and it will come around.

But if you have a fire to keep a wolf at bay and you plan to walk in any direction, why not take a torch from the fire? The wolf may come after you but as long as that torch is burning it will not come close (unless you get too close to the wolf, then it will attack).

Archived