Heat packs

Gaboris

Okay so I just found my old heat packs I got las year and it kinda hit me that there aren't any in the game.

Wouldn't these things be useful in a place like this?

I'm not sure if all packs are multi-use or if serious longtime heaters would "burn out", but mine can be "reset" by just "cooking" them in boiling water so I guess they could make a useful "just have to reach the front door/must harvest this deer" item in times of need.

- Condition would be based on number of uses, each use lowers it by x%.

- If used and left in the inventory(let's not make it too complicated) a pack gives off 5-10C° for a few minutes OR there are actually bigger packs that are meant to cover one's back that could either heat longer or give more heat.

- Resetting them would require fire and water and depending on what people say the water would stay drinkable or if the pack's plastic would be toxic(this is a question of balance not realism).

Okay I do admit that my packs only give off about half an hour of heat and they're kinda small for heating up your body even from the inner pockets of a coat, but I'm not sure if that's an actual limitation for all packs or if mine are just cheap, but still even if they wouldn't help in every day life for people living in such a cold climate maybe others just passing by in cars could have some because they think like me and say "these can be useful in the cold". :P

Heat packs were already mentioned a few times, but alway in lists of "wanted items" so I thought let's just see if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on these. :)

I agree that they have a good place in the game. They should be very limited in their ability to warm you up, but in an emergency they could provide that little tidbit needed to help make it through...

However, I personally thinkn 5-10 C is WAY too much - both from a balance standpoint, and from a realistic standpoint. Yes they give off a lot of heat, but in an extremely small/focused area - and in game temperature mechanics, we're talking about your whole body. I agree that the simplest would be to just activate them in your inventory (rather than specifying "this one goes in my left boot..." etc), but I think they should be more like 1C (each).

Personally I think they'd be an appropriate rare-ish loot for glove boxes and med kits (maybe also having a small chance to spawn in a hunter's blind, given their use as hand warmers).

I think a reasonable effect to give would be something with an activation effect akin to a cup of coffee (the heat part, not the "awake" part). Drinking sates your thirst, eating sates your hunger, caffeine wakes you up, and a heat pack would warm you. It seems like a reasonable thing to include, and certainly reasonable to find given the setting.

The heat-packs I used to carry in my search and rescue packs lasted 8+ hours, were around 4x6 inches, and were disposable. The idea with them wasn't necessarily that you put it right where the cold was felt (like in a glove - it could burn you on bare skin contact for too long), but that you did something like wrap it and place it at the base of your spine or the nape of your neck, where it was near major blood flows and could heat your whole body. They were fantastic for when you were starting or ending your day, sleeping in freezing conditions, or of course for victims who needed warming after being found.

There were also of course the small ones for tucking in gloves and boots, that weren't quite so powerful. The disposable one tended to last for a good long while as well, but the reusable ones were super short lived - good for when you just came in from the cold and were going to be out of the weather for a bit, but less so for continued application while running around.

"Hobo" recipes would a reasonable choice.

Its set of simple recipes that homeless ppl all across the world use to stay warm in even most harshest weather. And you dont need a 200$ supder duper premium ultima winter coat.

In this case, any type of full coat will do. You simple crumple newspaper and stuff it inside the coat. As result it acts as superb insulation, that can keep you warm for indefinite amount of time even even if theres -20 outside. Just take care of that "insulation"(remove it, dry it, etc) and youl be good as rain.

"Hobo" recipes would a reasonable choice.

Its set of simple recipes that homeless ppl all across the world use to stay warm in even most harshest weather. And you dont need a 200$ supder duper premium ultima winter coat.

In this case, any type of full coat will do. You simple crumple newspaper and stuff it inside the coat. As result it acts as superb insulation, that can keep you warm for indefinite amount of time even even if theres -20 outside. Just take care of that "insulation"(remove it, dry it, etc) and youl be good as rain.

I love this idea. "Hobo" ingenuity is amazing. +1

Archived