Share your "I Should Have Known Better" deaths!

cowboymrh

Was playing Voyager, day 69 on Coastal Highway.

Everything going well. Was living at the fishing huts with plenty of food and gear.

Was running low on sewing equipment to repair clothing so I decided to head back to

the "blue house" across the road from the garage where I had initially made my living spot to pick up the equipment I had stashed there.

I didn't like the spot because of all the wolves and bears (because of my relative newness to the game).

Anyway, was on the ice heading to the blue house from the log sort and saw a wolf on the ice heading to the house.

Took my usual route between the rocks on the shoreline just above the house.

I SHOULD HAVE equipped a flare just to be safe because I'm not a very good shot on uneven ground, but I didn't.

Jumped off the rocks heading to the front door of the blue house and got attacked by 2 wolves!!

The first one weakened me to 50%. I didn't think fast enough to equip a flare and the second one attacked!

I died 10 feet from the front door!!! GRRRRRRR!!!! In a matter of seconds....it was all over!!

haha...nice one :-)

In my last death-run I was almost 50 days in, was exploring the outer edges of Pleasant Valley, when a blizzard hit. I was getting exhausted, the wind was coming straight at me and it was getting dark, so I decided to rest a bit in an abandoned car. Since the temperature in the car exactly matched my cloth-warm-bonus, I decided to go to sleep and wait out the storm. Shouldn't have done that :-)

I was day 18, doing pretty good for myself. Tons of food and supplies, even a gun with a few rounds left. I decided I was going to kill this bear that I saw. I saw him walking down the road and figured I'd give it a shot.

I decided to wait until he got close before I fired. Real close... BAM!! Well, that seemed to only piss him off. Before I knew it he was running at me... "Uhh shit, what...do i...do?!?!!".. "reload" I thought. "I should be reloading!!!" It was too late.

That bear was already on top of me, I was thrashed about for a few moments that felt like enternity. I see the bear toss me away and start walking off. I can barely see anything at all, am bleeding like a pig, and I'm freezing to death. I bandage up as best I can and try to wander my blind ass somewhere out of the wind so I can start a fire. I can't end up seeing where the hell I am so I can't get out of the wind, and I collapse do to the cold + injuries. Death.

Playing voyager on about 120 days or so. Ventured into PV from ML in search of maple saplings. Before I left ML I made sure I was carrying as little as possible. Entered into PV and made my way toward the picnic area and cave. Finally found a maple sapling only to discover that in my effort to "get light" I had neglected to bring my hatchet!

Well I searched the nearby cave and was extremely lucky there was a hatchet and a lot of other goodies. The items I didn’t immediately need I stacked near the caves entrance and set off again for the sapling. During this interlude a blizzard had come into the area. I harvested the sapling and bee-lined it back toward the cave. I was indeed freezing but a fire in the cave would take care of that I thought.

Back inside the cave I immediately lit a fire. Unfortunately it was a fire I was standing on and before I knew it … The Long Dark.

My silliest death was in Voyager-Mod, I think it was on day 69.

I lived in Carter-Dam, had everything I need but want more...a Bear-bed-roll.

So I went to the Hunters House to live there temporary for shooting a bear. The next days I walked to the Hunting Stand waiting for the bear. Two days and "baam" I got it.

My next problem was to bring it back to my temp-house to cook and store it, so fire bit on, harvest 10 kg meet (I think that are 20 lbs), went home and all fine.

I have should do this the next three days also.... but...

next day early in the morning, what should happens? I can take all of the rest of the meet and being a little slower - who matters?

So I did, put my back with 19kg meet and fur and the the wolf got me - haha - I survived with 50% condition and happy walked again trough the wood my way to home.

A blizzard starts! I can`t find my way and died...

The moral of the story?

Don`t grab more you can`t handle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When the new bear animal came out i hadnt seen one yet. i was moveing my camp from ML to CH and had a rifle on me i was on pilgram mode because i like to be when exploreing new areas (PV at the time) so i see the bear from up on the hill and i said to myself i wanna closer look at it. (me thinking i could shoot it once kill it and look at it or it would just run) i aimed shot a got it then it ran at me. i shoot again got it.... um its still comeing... aim... and ya i got a better look at the bear alright.... a big closer look......

• 5 weeks later...

It was my first days at the game as i was fishing at the Mystery Lake as i heard a bear behind my fishing hut. I took a torch out of the oven, and i felt like a fire god riding my high horse, as i calmly and royally walked towars the filthy peasant black bear. I wave my torch and told him to shush, go away as the bear apparently smells salmon in my pocket and that fires up the Mike Tyson in it. He rushes and bangs my head on the ice, i wake up later as he is 2 meters away and rushes back to me finishing the job.

Needless to say, black bears make for bad peasants.

• 1 month later...

I was playing on Pilgrim up at Timberwolf Mountain. After a 15-day hibernation session, I went out to find more meat. After killing a deer and harvesting all of its meat (taking condition damage from cold in the process), I approached a bear and it started running away from me, but it was stuck running in place. I thought, "Hey, a free kill!" and shot it behind the shoulder. It turned, unstuck and unharmed, and grabbed me. I woke up with 4% condition and froze to death, a couple hundred yards from the mountaineer's hut.

Mrrp.

Archived