Killing wolves in v.256 with a knife/hatchet

soralka

I can't kill a wolf with a knife/hatchet.. Have tried multiple times, both at the Stalker and Voyager difficulty; it seems to me that the controls do not work the way people at the forums describe them. Mostly, the advice is to spam the LMB to build up the power and then hit the RMB to deliver the blow. However, it seems to me that the RMB has no effect whatsoever; I have seen some videos of people playing the game before this update and the controls displayed during the fight indeed look differently from what I see in the game.

However, spamming the left mouse button only doesn't seem to work either - at best, I was able to chase the wolf away, after it's left me properly messed up.

Any advice, please? This is making an otherwise great game almost unplayable at this point.. :(

Thanks!

Thanks! So it's just spamming the LMB now? What do you mean by verifying my files, please? Oh and I play on PC.

Yes, currently just pressing the one button or LMB

For the verifying Steam files, I removed that from my reply when I realized it wasn't an issue of you still seeing the old LMB RMB status bar (you shouldn't see any icon for the RMB during the battles now).

Verifying files on Steam is sometimes needed when you're still seeing old menus, or not all updated material is displaying. It checks to make sure you have all the properly updated files to play.

Ah okay; yes, the controls are displayed correctly, that is, no RMB instruction, only LMB is displayed. I guess I simply never have the correct combination of a good weapon + stamina.. :cry: will keep on trying! :)

Thanks for your help!

In theory, erm, ahem, if the wolf's condition is below the condition threshold at which it flees and you are engaged with it, it will fight to the death.

Scyzara did it a couple/few times, not intentionally, and I don't really care enough to find a way. Wolves are going to be changed anyways. :)

Have fun. Welcome to the forums. :D

I started a new game in Stalker mode just yesterday, and killed a wolf using only the pry bar, only getting a few scratches and no bites. Bad thing was that I did not have a knife or hatchet to harvest it. :( I died a few minutes later from another wolf attack and had no bandages.

Archived