ice falls climbing with bones picks and shoes

altobar2073

+1

This could easily be put into the game. It doesn't need any fancy animations just a simple 'click to climb', the screen goes black and you appear at the top (minus LOTS of calories). From the top coming back down it could be the same apart from the obvious changes and possibly a reduced calorific need (and maybe climbing rope).

I'd like to see this as a needed item to be able to reach certain points on maps and also a needed item to be able to get into certain zones. If you aint got the gear you aint coming in!!

It would also open up a whole new possibility for the Devs as far as the location of zones go as you could go from sea level to *insert height* and vica versa within a very short distance, (still give us 'transistions' though! ;)

In an actual survival situation, you don't want to climb anything if you don't absolutely have to. Same thing with jumping, or even stepping over things. You just don't.

The rationale behind that is : any injury you get is going to be magnified 1000x in severity. A sprained ankle is life-threatening, a decent-sized cut is life-threatening. A broken leg, or a knock to the head? You are dead. There is no help coming, no doctors, just you bleeding out in the snow.

Hell, I wouldn't climb up a tree, or a rock, even with top-notch "real" climbing gear. And you want to be able to improvise climbing equipment from bone?

In an actual survival situation, you don't want to climb anything if you don't absolutely have to. Same thing with jumping, or even stepping over things. You just don't.

The rationale behind that is : any injury you get is going to be magnified 1000x in severity. A sprained ankle is life-threatening, a decent-sized cut is life-threatening. A broken leg, or a knock to the head? You are dead. There is no help coming, no doctors, just you bleeding out in the snow.

Hell, I wouldn't climb up a tree, or a rock, even with top-notch "real" climbing gear. And you want to be able to improvise climbing equipment from bone?

I complelety agree.... however imagine if you had to climb/repel to reach civilization (which is probably where most people are trying to get to)... would you stay wherever you are and run out of food and eventually die.... or would you try to reach an area (which might involve climbing etc) where you might get out of this situation?

In an actual survival situation, you don't want to climb anything if you don't absolutely have to.

Agreed, but it's fun to let the imagination run wild on the possibilities following from the "if you don't absolutely have to."

As a side note, my +1 to this was under the assumption that this would be some professional grade climbing gear tucked away in a cabin somewhere, not something sewed together out of a few pieces of scrap metal, thread and bone. I realize what the title says, but I made my assumption based more off the picture in the OP and less on the title.

As a side note, my +1 to this was under the assumption that this would be some professional grade climbing gear tucked away in a cabin somewhere, not something sewed together out of a few pieces of scrap metal, thread and bone. I realize what the title says, but I made my assumption based more off the picture in the OP and less on the title.

I thought exactly the same. If we could find some 'proper' gear then I see this as more of an opportunity for everyone rather than a hinderance. Imagine the diverstiy of zones and adventures we could have :) ...

ooooh imagine climbing the hightest peaks and diving (not literally or liquidididy) into some really deep caves :)

I don't think we would be able to rock climb/abseil whereever... but in designated spots all it would take is for us to be transported instantly (you know what i mean). Easy stuff :D

Kinetic injuries are the death of people in survival situations. Unless my life depended on me getting off the X and the only way was climbing.... maybe. Couple this with no real gear and arctic conditions, sounds like a recipe for disaster. Now if our intrepid bush pilot was also a Sherpa... :P

Would this add any functional advantage to the game? Or just a risky endeavor for the adrenaline junkies? you realize that those who play on ice falls are subject to injury and there's no payoff aside from adrenaline!

Perhaps there is a prepper's cache only accessible by risky climbing.

If the coding change is minimal, I'm ok with it but I don't see an advantage compared to some other ideas. But great thinking outside the box!

Should we even be climbing the ladders to get in and out of bunkers? Or taking the stairs at lookout towers? (Where I have suffered multiple sprains.)

There are at least a few locations in US National Parks where metal ladders where actually bolted to rock faces so that rangers and emergency responders could get up and down them quickly. Did they do that in Canada? Is that a possibility for a future TLD map?

Ice or rock climbing would make a nice (different) transition between maps, or to an instanced location, but it loses all actual awesomeness when it is hidden behind a fade-out-fade-in click event. Is there any appeal to a stepped rock face with lots a narrow switchback ledges but only one or two correct routes to the top? The ledges might be narrow enough to run a risk of falling, and windy conditions might require the character to crouch to avoid being swept off.

Alternately (although this would require adding a mini game to the program) there might be a series of clickable handholds that take the character up. Again, there would be a certain maze aspect to finding the route with all handholds in reach.

Archived