money! (not in the way you think)

sir ice

between premade tinder, harvesting news print and newspaper rolls for tinder, and harvesting sticks for tinder; there's already way more than is actually needed.

That's true. But adding money could teach us something or provide food for thought. Many players might cling to it in hopes of finding an opportunity to spend it. Others might realize that it is only a promise printed on paper with no material value save... well, turning it into tinder. It could be an emotional experience.

between premade tinder, harvesting news print and newspaper rolls for tinder, and harvesting sticks for tinder; there's already way more than is actually needed.

That's true. But adding money could teach us something or provide food for thought. Many players might cling to it in hopes of finding an opportunity to spend it. Others might realize that it is only a promise printed on paper with no material value save... well, turning it into tinder. It could be an emotional experience.

I did not realize that. the game should get more emotional. that farm home where the kids used to live should have some more emotional stuff as well.

You're forgetting harvesting cardboard boxes and cattail heads :) And of course you also get tinder from chopping up tree limbs, although not very much.

I agree that there is plenty of tinder in the game, but finding money here and there might add to the immersion if nothing else.

Adding money probably wouldn't involve any coding at all, it would however mean creating at least one new 3D model + skin, some artwork for in the inventory and setting all the parameters of the object. And of course adding it to the loot lists of the containers where it can be found. So that would probably be quite a bit more than 2 hours. And then there's the time needed to tune the settings etc.

So while I would like it if I found some money every once in a while when scavenging, I don't think it's worth the investment for something that doesn't really add all that much. Unless there would be other uses for the money?

In Canada, our bills are made of some kind of plastic (5$ and up) or coins (2$ and down). Coins could be hammered into all kinds of useful shapes (Fish hooks, arrow heads ect) But I am not sure how much use you would get out of the bills as tinder, they might just melt when lit instead of burn. I guess we would have to do an experiment.

You're forgetting harvesting cardboard boxes and cattail heads :) And of course you also get tinder from chopping up tree limbs, although not very much.

I agree that there is plenty of tinder in the game, but finding money here and there might add to the immersion if nothing else.

Adding money probably wouldn't involve any coding at all, it would however mean creating at least one new 3D model + skin, some artwork for in the inventory and setting all the parameters of the object. And of course adding it to the loot lists of the containers where it can be found. So that would probably be quite a bit more than 2 hours. And then there's the time needed to tune the settings etc.

So while I would like it if I found some money every once in a while when scavenging, I don't think it's worth the investment for something that doesn't really add all that much. Unless there would be other uses for the money?

It would be emotional, just look at the other post by hotzn.

ps. duplicating the tinder plugs code and changing the name, texture, description, and location spawn would be little code, but still code. right?

In Canada, our bills are made of some kind of plastic (5$ and up) or coins (2$ and down). Coins could be hammered into all kinds of useful shapes (Fish hooks, arrow heads ect) But I am not sure how much use you would get out of the bills as tinder, they might just melt when lit instead of burn. I guess we would have to do an experiment.

making coins into items is an awesome idea. and tinder is what is lighted, and then used to light the fuel. i think... or at least thats what I meant.

duplicating the tinder plugs code and changing the name, texture, description, and location spawn would be little code, but still code. right?

It's not that straight forward as simply making a copy with a new name and dropping things in... you then have to add all the tracking, assign where it can/can't be used, effects, spawning and despawning, weights and count criteria, inventory stacking, etc. etc. etc.

And if you want both coin and paper currency in various denominations, then exponentially start adding to all the tracking and coding. Just doesn't really seem worth it. Feasible yes, but creates nothing new that's not already available from other sources or supplies.

And again - there are already so many variations of tinder already. It could be done, but I don't see where it gives new gameplay value. If you're going to do it with money, then why not do it with all clothes, cloth, curtains, towels, bed stuffing, can labels, the backpack, and everything else that can burn.

They may or may not add in money if needed for story mode, but there are already so many sources for tinder that no more are really needed - plus you would need to measure its worth comparing a single money bill vs the tinder from a full newsprint sheet.

For the sandbox psychological effect, it would mostly be "it's not my money, who cares if it burns"... unless there's some reason we need the money to save our lives [e.g. an NPC still values money], then it's just another source of paper.

Mentioning burning money as a emotionally-laden symbol would be interesting, but I understand the coding might make it not worth it. Another emotional pipe dream that I thought of as soon as I heard this idea (that, of course, may not be worth actually making it): A picture of your family that you can look at, but wears away eventually into nothing.

duplicating the tinder plugs code and changing the name, texture, description, and location spawn would be little code, but still code. right?

It's not that straight forward as simply making a copy with a new name and dropping things in... you then have to add all the tracking, assign where it can/can't be used, effects, spawning and despawning, weights and count criteria, inventory stacking, etc. etc. etc.

And if you want both coin and paper currency in various denominations, then exponentially start adding to all the tracking and coding. Just doesn't really seem worth it. Feasible yes, but creates nothing new that's not already available from other sources or supplies.

And again - there are already so many variations of tinder already. It could be done, but I don't see where it gives new gameplay value. If you're going to do it with money, then why not do it with all clothes, cloth, curtains, towels, bed stuffing, can labels, the backpack, and everything else that can burn.

They may or may not add in money if needed for story mode, but there are already so many sources for tinder that no more are really needed - plus you would need to measure its worth comparing a single money bill vs the tinder from a full newsprint sheet.

For the sandbox psychological effect, it would mostly be "it's not my money, who cares if it burns"... unless there's some reason we need the money to save our lives [e.g. an NPC still values money], then it's just another source of paper.

burning money WOULD be kinda harsh, you would feel a mixture or happiness and sadness. some sad music kicking in the first time you burn money would be fun.

Mentioning burning money as a emotionally-laden symbol would be interesting, but I understand the coding might make it not worth it. Another emotional pipe dream that I thought of as soon as I heard this idea (that, of course, may not be worth actually making it): A picture of your family that you can look at, but wears away eventually into nothing.

thats genius

Another emotional pipe dream that I thought of as soon as I heard this idea (that, of course, may not be worth actually making it): A picture of your family that you can look at, but wears away eventually into nothing.

You might be interested in the old Kickstarter campaign days...

"Receive an exclusive in-game LOCKET that holds a picture of loved ones, which enhances the player's will to live when gazed upon. This locket is for backers only, and will not be available in game (a loose Polaroid will be used instead). In addition, gain the ability TO USE A PHOTO OF YOUR CHOICE in the locket. Note that the photo will fade when viewed, so use it sparingly!"

Another emotional pipe dream that I thought of as soon as I heard this idea (that, of course, may not be worth actually making it): A picture of your family that you can look at, but wears away eventually into nothing.

"Receive an exclusive in-game LOCKET that holds a picture of loved ones, which enhances the player's will to live when gazed upon. This locket is for backers only, and will not be available in game (a loose Polaroid will be used instead). In addition, gain the ability TO USE A PHOTO OF YOUR CHOICE in the locket. Note that the photo will fade when viewed, so use it sparingly!"

cool!

That's epic, thanks for posting. Hope this is still on for story mode.

Well yeah I love the idea for immersion purposes, but as the others've pointed it out Canadian money isn't paper and it would take too much work to implement with very little benefits.

Though maybe as a post-launch thing or maybe if Steam workshop is added?

Archived