PROTEIN POISONING; natural candle wick

SonoftheThrone

Les Stroud (Survivor Man) explained that eating ONLY protein and no fat would cause a kind of disorder w/ the stomach. He was in a subzero environment eating seal meat that had blubber w/ it. He warned NOT to eat excessive amounts of meat w/o portions of fat because it is literally harmful to the body.

Not only that, but he explained that ANIMAL FAT can be used to burn like a candle wick when combined w/ cloth. Imagine using deer fat crafted w/ some cloth to make a long-burning candle to light in a cabin just like using a storm lantern.

Animal fat (oils) + cloth + metal lid + match= light source

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

+1 for candles

I would like to have alot of things what is craftable from the available resources. I like crafting!

Would be nice to have a candle. It would work only indoors. It would light the cabin and preserve fire for x ammount of time. Would be able to light the candle with the ordinary tools and with the stove, as well.

And it would be possible to light the torch and the stove with the candle.

+1 for candles

I would like to have alot of things what is craftable from the available resources. I like crafting!

Would be nice to have a candle. It would work only indoors. It would light the cabin and preserve fire for x ammount of time. Would be able to light the candle with the ordinary tools and with the stove, as well.

And it would be possible to light the torch and the stove with the candle.

Simply add the use of an EMPTY CAN to the game inventory (as a result of emptying a can after eating and/or found empty in environment items). Pour in animal fat grease (from harvested MEAT/GUTS) and/or sardine oil (from a can of SARDINES). Place in a piece of CLOTH (from clothing); soak in oil/fat like a wick. Ignite w/ a MATCH. Viola....a portable "can-dle"! :D

Yeah I think everyone likes the idea for candles. I've also heard people say that you should need a certain amount of light to craft, and candles would be indispensable for this!

I would also love to see more "late game" edibles other than meat. You would certainly die of vitamin deficiency after a little while, as OP said. Eating some of the organ meat would help, I think liver has everything you need. I would love to see edible plants (and yes, they do exist: how would rabbits be here without them?), e.g. I think Sumac is edible year round. Another thing I would love to see is making pine/spruce needle tea, very high in vitamin C and a good belly warmer once you run out of herbal tea/coffee!

Yeah I think everyone likes the idea for candles. I've also heard people say that you should need a certain amount of light to craft, and candles would be indispensable for this!

I would also love to see more "late game" edibles other than meat. You would certainly die of vitamin deficiency after a little while, as OP said. Eating some of the organ meat would help, I think liver has everything you need. I would love to see edible plants (and yes, they do exist: how would rabbits be here without them?), e.g. I think Sumac is edible year round. Another thing I would love to see is making pine/spruce needle tea, very high in vitamin C and a good belly warmer once you run out of herbal tea/coffee!

Thanks for being kind/mature on your reply. I appreciate that, always! When I write posts, I'm usually inspired by Les Stroud from Survivor Man. He survives in realistic situations as does Bear Grylls. I like your suggestions. Personally, I wish I had the tech experience and funds to create my own game. That'd be cool!

I was thinking about the light needed for crafting too. How can you sow in pitch black darkness? Good point all around about needing light to perform tasks!

+1

The discussion about organ meat and stuff reminded me of this column: http://www.baen.com/stoneage.asp

I don't know if Hinterland wants to get THAT in depth regarding nutrition and whatnot. It's their call. But it is interesting to read :)

What a cool read. I like the tip at the end for "ammo can" cooking--"Since it's sheet metal, it won't take as much heat as cast iron. Don't overheat it."

+1 To candles, pine needle tea is a great idea, and soups and stews would be good, maybe chopped meat. Add some water and some meat with the fat to a pot let it simmer for a few hours. Boom! A good well tasting meal, I add some onion and garlic(optional, maybe new loot in houses) to a beef roast put it in a slow cooker, cook it for 5 hours, shred it and it's pretty good.

Les Stroud (Survivor Man) explained that eating ONLY protein and no fat would cause a kind of disorder w/ the stomach. He was in a subzero environment eating seal meat that had blubber w/ it. He warned NOT to eat excessive amounts of meat w/o portions of fat because it is literally harmful to the body.

Not only that, but he explained that ANIMAL FAT can be used to burn like a candle wick when combined w/ cloth. Imagine using deer fat crafted w/ some cloth to make a long-burning candle to light in a cabin just like using a storm lantern.

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

sounds awesome. +1

ps. when you said light source i thought you wrote light sauce (as in trying to not gain as much weightXD)

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

sounds awesome. +1

ps. when you said light source i thought you wrote light sauce (as in trying to not gain as much weightXD)

Thanks again for the support! Hinterland Studios could EASILY reference Les Stroud for in-game inspiration. Just. Watch. Netflix (TV). Take notes. Make game. Simple. :D

+1 for candles. My camp is at pleasant valley homestead and the place looks so grim, that I sleep in the glass room outside. I can't even navigate the inside without at least a match or something. If I could light up the place for an acceptable amount of time, rather than use up one jerrycan for one minute of light, then I would be very happy.

Archived