Bow Usage

Flik_Tripz

Can anyone give me some tips on how to use and hunt with the bow correctly? The big problem is that there is a lot of sway when aiming and you seem to have to be pretty close to hit something with it. Also, is the small black notch on the arrow where you're supposed to aim? Or is that just a part of the arrow?

We had a couple of players giving each other tips in the Steam forums. If you have an arrow or two to practice with, try hitting an inanimate target (the player in the Steam forums used the dog house at the PV farmstead) and use that to get used to how the bow works, aims, and fires. I used this method myself in different weather conditions to get my bearings, and it's helped tremendously.

I'm sure others will come along to give you some better tips as well =)

there is a lot of sway when aiming and you seem to have to be pretty close to hit something with it

Pay close attention to your fatigue levels... the more fatigues you are, the harder it will be to aim. When fully rested, there is a lot less sway.

For distance, calculating the angle to aim upwards is key. I practiced a lot behind the PV farmhouse trying long shots - just working on the direction and distance, and even seeing how that changed from hill tops. Once the distance angles started feeling more instinctual [practiced], I found I was having more success with the bow, especially being able to hunt at a distance.

I also used the bottom corner of the bow as a reasonable reference for aligning shots, and it worked fairly well. I never used the reticle, because that just seemed to throw me off figuring out where to aim and shoot [and height/distance angles] - temptation was too high to think the reticle was the actual aiming target point to hit.

Just practice on a snowback, building, straw bale, or whatever... can even practice on deer far away... once you get a feel for distance, it will all come together for you.

My best advice for the bow is to try to sneak up and hit a rabbit. In fact, I usually don't use traps anymore, I just bow hunt rabbits. The best part about rabbit hunting for practice is it's very visual, if you miss it's totally clear which way you're off.

Oh, and I never even pull out my bow unless my fatigue bar is less than 50%, typically far less. The sway is just too intense.

Archived