v. 256 Permothermia

EatenByWolves

Well I am making this post to hopefully clarify an issue surrounding hypothermia. Let me start with the scenario.

I start a new stalker mode to test all of the various new materials added. Over all I love it, except one thing that caused my fading into the long dark on day 9 on ML. Hypothermia that never went away. Yes it says stay warm for 24 hrs, but there was no timer telling me how long it would be until it was gone, it only ever said 24 hours. I stayed holed up indoors for THREE DAYS after stocking up on firewood and water and what meager food resources I could find. It was still afflicting me. I think because of the meager scraps of gear that I had weren't enough to make the temp zero or better indoors (was always -1) it just kept resetting the hypothermia timer, and thus, I had no way to rid myself of it unless A, I found more gear (which doesn't happen on ML because it is in very short supply) or I could stoke a fire and make it last 24 hours huddling next to it without leaving to get more firewood.

Please note that -1 would not cause a relapse in hypothermia and there should be a less strict guideline for what counts as "stay warm for 24 hrs". The real kicker is I gave it to myself to test just such mechanics. I am glad I did.

Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge, but seriously, it was an impossible affliction to overcome in that scenario. I fought with it for 5 days until I ran low on food and eventually died of a combination of exhaustion and hunger. You become exhausted extremely easily with hypothermia and for that reason, I couldn't go out and get what I needed to survive. If this is working as intended I feel like that is a bit unfair to the person first starting out with insufficient clothing to stay at 0 degrees indoors.

I had a case of hypothermia set in and I took shelter in the watch tower in ML. I think it was over in under 24 hours. I did not have a fire going the whole time but I did sleep a lot. Ended up leaving to head back to base starving.

The next time I had hypothermia set in I took to my bed at the Camp Outpost and staying inside for two or three days. I had the > arrow on cold once or twice but it never climbed. It was like the sickness I could never kick. Finally got over it and decided to never get it again. Starting a fire outside is pretty much a fools errand on keeping you warm but it will slow down the onset of freezing.

With most animal kills I get the hide, about 15 lbs of meat and then run back to base. I then thaw out, take some wood with me and set up a fire. Gut the animal and get the remainder of the meat (if any is left). Trying to get it all in one fell swoop is akin to dancing with death.

Right now, the key to curing hypothermia is to not let the "feels like" temperature drop below 0C for 24 hours. Unless you're in a building that has a high enough air temp that your clothes alone are enough to keep you above 0C, you're going to need a fire.

In the Camp Office, the air temp is -5C. If your clothes give you +4C, the feels like temp is -1C. So if you sleep in a bed (gives +6C) for 12 hours, when you wake up you will be at -1C again, resetting the 24 hour timer. One solution given by Scyzara is to keep a fire burning for over 12 hours and then sleep for another 12 hours.

Some buildings have a higher air temp, like Trapper's. These buildings negate the need for a fire, making it much easier to cure hypothermia. And once you find some better clothes hypothermia really isn't much of a problem anymore. It's still a great nuisance, but it's supposed to be.

Right now, the key to curing hypothermia is to not let the "feels like" temperature drop below 0C for 24 hours. Unless you're in a building that has a high enough air temp that your clothes alone are enough to keep you above 0C, you're going to need a fire.

In the Camp Office, the air temp is -5C. If your clothes give you +4C, the feels like temp is -1C. So if you sleep in a bed (gives +6C) for 12 hours, when you wake up you will be at -1C again, resetting the 24 hour timer. One solution given by Scyzara is to keep a fire burning for over 12 hours and then sleep for another 12 hours.

Some buildings have a higher air temp, like Trapper's. These buildings negate the need for a fire, making it much easier to cure hypothermia. And once you find some better clothes hypothermia really isn't much of a problem anymore. It's still a great nuisance, but it's supposed to be.

Excellent points! Thanks.

Archived