Is using "Load Game" cheating?

TarjaS

Until now, I didn't even realize there was the option to go back to the last save point. After realizing that, I'm doing much better, but I feel like I'm cheating. I decided to keep two lists of my best times, with and without using Load Game.

I'd prefer not to use it, but right now, I have a rifle and 10 rounds (too good to lose) and I was stuck in a hut on the lake in the middle of a blizzard. After resting a bit, decided to wait it out. That turned out to be a bad decision, so I loaded the last save and made a dash to the cabins on the shore. More supplies and better shelter, so maybe I'll get through it, but it's just not the same.

Its a little bit of like the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. This way, you have a chance of trying something different, and seeing if you can survive longer. In the Sandbox, its inevitable that you are going to die, so to have a 2nd chance, I wouldn't be too worried if you think your cheating.

To stop that, quit the game, and you won't have a Saved game to go back too, now go and get your Rifle and 10 rds again :P

I did survive a lot longer than usual on that run, 6 days 10 hours. Then died of exhaustion, exposure and starvation (because why settle for just one) while watching the moon rise.

It was my map making mission, so I decided to ignore any thoughts of cheating and just survive by any means to have time to get a good idea on where everything is. Now I know where to get a rifle and how to get to the trapper's cabin on my own (and not just accidentally by spawning in the right place).

Now I should have much better chances of surviving a bit longer without reverting to a save point.

Guest Alan Lawrance

The reason for the Save/Load in Sandbox is to allow players leave the game and come back to it, without having to restart their run.

If you die, the save is deleted, but it's true that the Save/Load can be abused to rewind a bad decision. Kudos to those who only use it because they have to put the game aside.

Cheating? I can only play for an hour or 2 at a time... Without saving, I couldn't/wouldn't play.

Obviously, I didn't mean the proper use of the function (which I didn't even realize, because my games are always so short), but using it for reversing a bad choice.

I've been using saved games as a way to explore and learn the map.

If I get a good save point (time of day is good, weather is nice, I'm not hungry or thirsty or tired), I start out in one direction just to see what is there. Before I die, I quit and reload and try another direction.

For me it's not about extending my survival streak (which isn't very good, anyway), but getting the lay of the land and learning how to get from one place to another.

• 2 months later...

It is alpha still, and it's good whether it's cheating or not bringing it up. At this stage of the game, I am not sure anything should be called an exploit, or otherwise, anyway. Just good play testing?

Personally, I never used this method. That said, I have gamed the starvation system to its fullest extent, and that is arguably just as broken if not more so. Using the system to the fullest, even with broken things, seems like the best way to generate the best developer feedback.

It's only cheating if there is a rule against it. There is not.

If you 'feel' like it's cheating, then you're probably going against your own unwritten rules of 'how you should play the game'.

I have never reloaded a savegame to reset my stats; but I have no problem with it when someone else does it. It's their own gameplay, everybody should do what they want.

And there are some other exploits in TLD to be used to your advantage; it's up to the player to decide if he wants to use those or not. It's your own adventure, after all. That's how I think about it.

Archived