death by bear

Snoman

Unless you're at a 80%-100% health, there is a good chance of the bear killing you in the attack, or you not surviving it anyhow because you can't find shelter in time.

Of course, in real life, after being mauled by a bear, you'd probably need reconstructive surgery on your face and you'd be blind, which would really plummet your chances of survival if you're alone in the great outdoors.

So gamewise, I think they struck a nice balance where the bear messes you up real good but you have a good chance to live and play on, if you play(ed) your cards right.

Anyway, I try to avoid those bears as much as I can.

Had fun the other day though, when a bear stalked me in a fishing hut on the ice, and kept skulking around even after I had put two arrows in it from the safety of the hut (ghehe). That's 30 kgs of bear meat right next to the barbecue. Thank you mr. Bear! (and thank you game for not allowing that beast to enter the hut)

Well, I got killed by a bear on my previous Stalker run: First mauled at 100%, and then when I was fumbling through my first aid gear, the bear decided to give me another hug. Maybe I should have moved a little further away.

This could be a huge pain to program, but maybe there should be a distinction made between predatory bears and bears who are simply defending themselves from intruders/hunters. Predatory bears would attack a player on-sight, naturally, while the latter would charge and attack players only if provoked. In the case of the less-aggressive bears, some sort of "playing-dead" mechanic (even something as simple as not touching the mouse & keyboard) would trigger the bear to stop attacking the player after enough time. I realize I'm ignoring the glaring inconsistencies with the wolves and the aggression-inducing geo-magnetic storms here, obviously--just a thought.

I don't mind the current bear behavior. One has to keep in mind that TLD's bears are meant to resemble black bears and not grizzlies. ;)

As far as I know, it's quite typical for black bears to let go of a human once they chucked him/her on the ground. Presumably because they don't see humans primarily as a potential prey but only as a danger that needs to be neutralized.

(If a black bear attacks you, you've probably surprised it somehow and it feels threatened by you. It's primary aim is thus to eliminate the threat and not kill and eat you. Knocking you down is thus sufficient - and also less risky for the bear than trying to kill you. ^^)

There's a quite interesting correlation between the size and dangerousness of the different bear species:

polar bears > grizzlies/brown bears > American black bears/pandas/Asian sun bears, etc.

The bigger they are, the more predatory they are, the more dangerous they are for humans. ;)

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "you can run around and hug black bears, they won't harm you", but if I personally should choose whether I had to face either a black bear, a mountain lion or a female boar with piglets, I'd always go for the black bear.^^

I do realize we are talking about a black bear. I have bow hunted brown and bears and on the rare times that I didn't get a quick clean kill the bear would get vary angry and rightly so. Before I get to ripped for hunting. I don't and do not condone anyone trophy hunting.

Often if you meet a mother with a young cub they get vary up set but will let you leave. If you hurt or scare the cub you are in vary real danger.

All I was asking for was a small chance for death at 100% health. As far as the fighting back I would hope that I could but most of us would not be able. Whether it is from the charge, first strike, or just fear.

Now if they stay with the 30kg of meat I guess I could buy it the way they have it set up. That is about the size of a 9 month to 1 year old black bear.

They are a majestic creature, I just wish people would stop feeding them. 5 of the last 6 times I have hunted it was for a nuance bear. Its not the bears fault its peoples!!!

These bears should Grizzlies! Grizzlies will happily consume humans. The bears in this game don't seem to bother the other wild life although in real life, they are capable of catching and eating small and large game.

In this case, the bear is mauling you, you won't necessarily be killed. I would like to see some variety in the size and viciousness of these bears. It would give you pause before shooting at old three toe if you knew he was a killer bear for example.

I don't know if this was updated, but i was at 100% condition and took a 1 hr nap to wait for weather to clear... the bear killed me in 1 fell swoop, I was not given the opportunity to have 10%, heck i would have taken 2%. it took me from 100% to 0 instantaneously, and my longest run on stalker... was ended because of it :cry:

Archived