Rabbit, snares and fishing line

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been discussed in some form before, but I can't find any reference to it in the forums...

Rabbit and squirrels and snares seem like they'd be a good addition to me; I like the risk/reward trade-off with the snares: You have to go out often to check them to make sure a wolf doesn't eat your catch, but too often wastes precious calories.

And those ice fishing shacks are just begging for some fishing line.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone done the math to figure out if fishing or trapping yields the most calories per hour? Break rates for the fishing line and snares would also be helpful. Seems like 30% chance on snares and after about 2 fish per fishing line. Guts seem to be the bottleneck item because its used for player made fur clothes, fishing line, and snares.

I didn't do the math, but on Voyageur the traps seemed to be far more cost effective and require only new guts to remake. Fishing is essentially broken right now. The effort yields heavy fish, but they cook down too much and yield little final meat. Which is pretty odd, considering they could be lightly smoked or poached and retain almost 100% of their calories. It's rabbit that has to be very completely cooked. Plus it seems to involve a lot of calories and exposure to icy winds. Also while you can get new gut from kills, the hooks require incredibly precious scrap metal. That's solid gold by the end game, and the risk of losing a hook is too great. The only trick with trapping is finding the rabbit grounds, but that's not too difficult. There's one a short walk from the trapper's cabin and two or three near the lake office.

At least using the graphic they have for the fishing hole, it is plenty wide enough. Also when fishing most fish aren't coming up vertically. They are fighting sideways against the line, and if the hole isn't wide enough they essentially use it to push against the line and get more difficult to land.

Archived