trail marking, flagging.

caverdude

Dropping bottles has been suggested in this thread, hence Gaboris' reply...

yes and my point was, that this is the only solution to mark, it's readily available and you really don't need more.

I have played TLD for quite a while now and I still use the bottle dropping method to mark important trails where I could get lost in a blizzard

Case proven and closed :D

I'm collecting useless rose hips right now because I want to get the Harvester Achievement. Thanks to this thread though I found another use for them: lightweight markers. They are well visible, kinda look like a blood trail and have no relevant weight, contrary to water, logs and the like.

There is a huge amount of rose hips and painkillers in the world, I personally don't have any use for them except for getting achievements. But when a new map will be released I sure will use them.

2 Berries are the bottom of the arrow, 1 berry is the tip (sry was getting dark):

D34E0339B278FF3CAF4DA933A28EA42B621E22DD

About marking trees: I doubt this will be possible because it would mean that every tree needs to be an actual object (with attributes like "markable") and not just a texture. Game performance would fall through the floor, especially on systems with low memory. But instead of wishing for new features, just try to get creative with what the devs give us already. Don't know if anyone came up with the berry marker idea - I certainly never read of it before - but there you go, 2 problems (uselessnes of rose hips and having a lightweight trail marker) solved with one solution :D

Marking trees could be as simple as adding a texture. I assume this is how half life works when you spray your logo on a wall...

But we're thinking in technical solutions again without knowing how TLD is made.

The rose hips are a good idea though :)

Marking trees could be as simple as adding a texture. I assume this is how half life works when you spray your logo on a wall...

But we're thinking in technical solutions again without knowing how TLD is made.

The rose hips are a good idea though :)

+1 on the rose hip. I was saving all of mine in hopes of putting a stil together.

well it's made with Unity which I know a little bit and I'm programming games in a different engine too, so my "knowledge" is not completely out of air. But yes I don't know exactly how they do it but I doubt you can have something that you can interact with that is only a texture, because the object makes it interactable, the texture just defines the surface of the object - and more objects = more memory = higher performance impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Simply put. On the title screen right beside the trappers homestead in bright red! There is a pole with the red "flag" just blowing in the wind!

That would be awesome to replicate, fabricate and other wise decorate our chosen walking paths.. Sure sticks and stones and all that just laying around for visual cues. But in a white out blizzard situation who really stares at the ground?

Simply put. On the title screen right beside the trappers homestead in bright red! There is a pole with the red "flag" just blowing in the wind!

That would be awesome to replicate, fabricate and other wise decorate our chosen walking paths.. Sure sticks and stones and all that just laying around for visual cues. But in a white out blizzard situation who really stares at the ground?

You're my man Rook! :D

I've been eyeballing that flag myself, but personally I think it could be too much for the engine to place a bunch of dynamically animated items into the world so as much as I'd love to see them flap in the wind I'd be okay with just a static colored "bowtie" with some variations of it on a stick. :)

With the abundance of sticks now, you can simply use them to leave a trail of breadcrumbs. You can even "point" them... if you want to take the time to fiddle with proper placement.

Well if the abundance of sticks proves only one thing it's that the engine can handle a huge number of interactable items placed in the game world.

If you look back on the previous page we had the discussion that "If we need to do something by misusing other systems then we're missing tools."

Sure we can drop sticks and dance around till we figure out what direction they point when dropped, but how much more fun would it be to have a placeable item that actually stands out with a colored top? Or HECK even if we just stick with... sticks(man that was unintentional :D) at least have a place button so it wouldn't feel so random. :)

What would make alot of sense to me would be.. Either using sticks or cured saplings ( maple only has one use atm :D ) and cloth.. Then you can place them just like the storm lanterns

Hell I even think using the empty tin cans and some gut to make like a wind chime effect would work wonders aswell especially in a wind storm.. ( not my idea. I have seen it previously on another thread )

What would make alot of sense to me would be.. Either using sticks or cured saplings ( maple only has one use atm :D ) and cloth.. Then you can place them just like the storm lanterns

Yeah I'd say we all agree that that would be the best way to do it, but your sapling idea is new. Saplings are pretty rare. So far I've only found them twice in two different sessions so I doubt that they would be good for mass produced markers, BUT they could be made into actual flags actual flapping cloth since they're rare and wouldn't get spammed all over the map to break performance. :D

So yeah small markers made from sticks with cloth that can be placed on the ground or walls.

Craft: X sticks + 1 cloth = X markers

And actual flags made from saplings and cloth that can only be placed on the ground.

Craft: 1 cured sapling + 1 cloth = 1 flag

Hell I even think using the empty tin cans and some gut to make like a wind chime effect would work wonders aswell especially in a wind storm.. ( not my idea. I have seen it previously on another thread )

Yeah I think Octavian was the one here and on another thread who brought this idea up.

I still think wind chimes are the way to go. Atmosphere and audio beacons for newbies, atmosphere for those that don't need it as navigation.

Ear hole navigation isn't that common - name on example - and it would be another showcase of TLDs sound design. But then again, this idea was never popular, it didn't get support back when I suggested it.

It's a pretty sweet idea and I just LOVE IT! But if we can't even get the simple markers into the game because of engine limitations or because the community just keeps denying even the notion of adding something like this then we can't even dream about adding something more complex. :(

We can dream all we want lol but sadly your right! As for maple spawns with the deep forest update they added quite a few new spawn points per map for maple and birch..

The issue is that they are stand alone. Meaning 1 sapling at a time.. They still have the normal spawn points.. These standalone saplings are a bonus!

• 2 weeks later...

I've found two maple saplings together a few times. If they harvested or crafted to multiple poles, sapling scarcity would be less of a factor for trail markers.

Really like the rose hip idea. Have to try it.

Maybe a simple change to cloth color would make cloth drops a viable trail marking solution. How about red? Or bright blue?

Here's something I haven't seen yet (but might ave missed). How about a hot-key to drop a pre-selected item without going into the inventory every time? (Yes, like the "1" key, but not dropping a random food item.) If the character could drop rose hips or cloth or toques every time the player hit the "5" key it would make dropping breadcrumbs much easier.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived