bleeding/infection risk

Is there a way to determine chance of getting blood loss/infection risk starting from wolf attacks (and other attacks but wolves currently startle me more so more likely to get them when starting a fire) maybe based on armor or duration of struggle
and for how many
I've been only playing a short time but I've gotten 2 infection risks at once but I've also had where just a bit of standard clothing (+ the 2 rabbit clothing) and no blood loss/infection risk by 3 wolf attacks in a row so I really don't know what to make of it

Agreed. There seems to not be a lot of correlation between damage taken or duration of struggle and the risk or number of  infections/bleeding.

I play interloper and I’ve had struggles that last forever and I get no infection and only one bleeding and short ones where I get at least one of both. Seems pretty random.  Clothing and condition damage seem to be more dependent on struggle duration however.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

but overall I think it's just random 

Yup, I was wearing the same clothes during both attacks and was clicking like mad both times, both times using a knife and one time got a bleed , the other barely a scratch 🤷‍♀️

Edited by bysinda
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Afflictions from a wolf struggle are not affected by your clothes or your struggle weapon.
Nothing you do will change what injuries you get. (1 exception)

Yes, you can get 2 bleeds from 1 struggle. It is very very rare.

For a bleed (or a sprain) to happen, it needs an empty body part to be inflicted on.

If you have 4 sprained limbs, you cannot get a sprain from a struggle (the game doesn't roll a new affliction, you just don't get injured)

If you have 12 bleeds, you cannot get another bleed for the same reason.

Screenshot2024-04-27004530.thumb.png.6d0c19b2182de7aa36ac518147b7473c.png

Do not take the below text as fact, because i have not tested this

I think (acc to wiki) there is an exception for the ballistic vest, it prevents bleeds from being applied to your chest. 

Potentially, this has a 3/12 (25%) chance to prevent a bleed completely from being inflicted on your body (if it would be applied to your chest), saving a lot of health in a struggle

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, bysinda said:
15 hours ago, Leeanda said:

but overall I think it's just random 

Yup, I was wearing the same clothes during both attacks and was clicking like mad both times, both times using a knife and one time got a bleed , the other barely a scratch 🤷‍♀️

Hatchet is less likely to kill the wolf outright (bleed-out injuries more likely), but tends to result in shorter struggles an less damage and injuries taken, at least in my vanilla Stalker runs. The knife seems to be more likely to kill the wolf during the struggle, but I tend to get more clothing damage and laceration type injuries if I use the knife.

*Not a scientific study- I try to evade and avoid wolves and timberwolves rather than trying to facetank them if I have no ranged weapon, so RNG may just be trolling me (like it always does) when I do goof and end up in a struggle.*

Edited by ThePancakeLady
Typo, as usual
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Hatchet is less likely to kill the wolf outright (bleed-out injuries more likely), but tends to result in shorter struggles an less damage and injuries take, at least in my vanilla Stalker runs. The knife seems to be more likely to kill the wolf during the struggle, but I tend to get more clothing damage and laceration type injuries if I use the knife.

*Not a scientific study- I try to evade and avoid wolves and timberwolves rather than trying to facetank them if I have no ranged weapon, so RNG may just be trolling me (like it always does) when I do goof and end up in a struggle.*

I usually pick whichever weapon was highlighted , probably the knife,  but I did notice that the revolver was not very good, ...I did a test run on getting mauled, on pilgrim though, and the clothes damage was pretty consistent, the damage to health did wildly vary though,

• Upvote 1

I think the higher the difficulty then the higher the risk.. on pilgrim I don't remember getting any infection risk,and only one or two bleeds... I did get a few sprains though..  

I could be wrong though and just got very lucky.. 

• Upvote 1

The “best “ weapon issue has been pretty exhaustively studied in reasonable scientific ways. Hatchet should be your go to weapon as it ends the struggle the fastest. Your priority should be avoiding struggles and if you do get in a struggle to end it asap. Less clothing damage and condition loss. Wolf will still bleed out with any edged  weapon.  On Interloper the go to weapon is heavy hammer. Fastest of available tools to end struggles since all the improvised weapons are terrible in this regard.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Wolves are not identical, different wolves have different behaviors, they have unique personalities, just like different humans are different to each other.

Edited by exeexe

9 minutes ago, exeexe said:

Wolves are not identical, different wolves have different behaviors, they have unique personalities, just like different humans are different to each other.

In real life ,yes they are..  but the game I think only has a set amount of patterns.. of course twolves have their own random madness..

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

In real life ,yes they are..  but the game I think only has a set amount of patterns.. of course twolves have their own random madness..

In real life wolves have unique traits and personalities, which you can distinguish if you get to learn them, ofcourse in the game we dont get to know any wolfes.

1 minute ago, exeexe said:

In real life wolves have unique traits and personalities, which you can distinguish if you get to learn them, ofcourse in the game we dont get to know any wolfes.

I agree with you..  I'm a huge wolf lover.. though never seen a real one I've been watching documentaries for a very long time..

Half my house is covered with wolf paraphernalia 😁

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I agree with you..  I'm a huge wolf lover.. though never seen a real one I've been watching documentaries for a very long time..

Half my house is covered with wolf paraphernalia 😁

I actually used to work at a wolf sanctuary, it was rather nice. All sorts of varied personalities.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Lunerse said:

I actually used to work at a wolf sanctuary, it was rather nice. All sorts of varied personalities.

You're so lucky...  That would be my dream job😊

On 5/8/2024 at 1:25 PM, Lunerse said:

so basically other then ballistic vest the chance doesnt change for one and 2 infection risks/bleeding, but what is the chance of none, 1, and 2?

If you’re looking for a posted and verifiable percentage/fraction… I don’t think one exists.  
Either the Devs would have to post the code directly,

or - through anecdotal evidence like has already been provided.  

So, be a scientist and experiment. Get in a fight with a wolf as often as possible and wear different combinations of clothing while doing it! 😉

• 1 month later...

TL;DR from years of personal experience as someone who almost always chooses Improvised Hatchet/Hatchet on Interloper/Stalker, and is quite good at clicking fast, I'd say that wolf struggles have about a 40% chance to inflict Blood Loss.

It's rather complicated, but: it's randomized, but there are weights and limits for which Afflictions a wolf can roll during a struggle. So it gets more complicated more longer a struggle continues, is affected by game mode, tool chosen for the struggle, and your ability to click fast (end struggles quickly).

A random affliction is always chosen at the start from the wolf/poisoned wolf/timberwolf's (or aurora variants) Affliction Table at the start of a struggle, and then every 0.75-2.0 seconds after until the struggle ends. Some examples of modifiers are: Blood Loss can only twice per struggle (though twice is much rarer than only one (maybe only a 1-5% chance), though I have had received 3 Blood Losses from one black wolf struggle before, on two separate occasions but this may have been bugs), also e.g. if your character is completely naked (a bold move in the Canadian wilderness) a wolf cannot roll "Torn Clothing".

The Youtuber Bashrobe made an excellent video breaking down wolf struggle mechanics where he discusses this in detail, I'd highly recommend it if you want to learn more about the nitty-gritty of these mechanics.

Edited by Veskaida
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Veskaida said:

The Youtuber Bashrobe made an excellent video breaking down wolf struggle mechanics where he discusses this in detail, I'd highly recommend it if you want to learn more about the nitty-gritty of these mechanics.

Regarding clicks per second you can measure it here

https://cps-check.com/keyboard-cps

i found using spacebar with two fingers give the best result :P