Transfer Pass Region - Is it a viable long term base?

The Transfer Pass region is clearly meant to be a hub for the Far Territories but I am wondering if it useful for anything beyond serving as a travel route. 

The region seems too large to be a transition zone but too small to be a proper self sufficient region.  Has anyone spent an extended period of time in Transfer Pass? My Voyageur character will make his first foray into Transfer Pass - acorns and cattails appear to be reasonably abundant.  Ptarmigan and rabbits can be found as well.  Are deer, wolves, bear or moose available for meat and hides? Shelter is clearly limited.  Fishing I imagine is also non-existent along with work benches.

Thanks in advance for all opinions.

I like spending time in transfer pass...   I love the station ,it's rather cosy..

There is sometimes a wolf there,on pilgrim , and there are a few deer too....  But no moose or bear.

There's no workbench or fishing either sadly.. 

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I like spending time in transfer pass...   I love the station ,it's rather cosy..

There is sometimes a wolf there,on pilgrim , and there are a few deer too....  But no moose or bear.

There's no workbench or fishing either sadly.. 

Sometimes in transfer pass spawn a deer in interloper, but it's very rare......

3 minutes ago, Sebastian1992 said:

Sometimes in transfer pass spawn a deer in interloper, but it's very rare......

They're that rare there are they?    I usually find three maybe..    

I don't spend more than 4-5 days anywhere really ,I've got itchy feet lol...  But if I'm staying there longer then I'll nip into the zone for whatever I need and back again.. 

• Upvote 1

Transfer Pass for me is not a place I would ever want to make a base, in any mode. Feedwater cave is a decent place to keep Cabin Fever at bay and stash stuff, and the Vacant Depot is a good (but small) place to warm up at the fireplace and stash stuff in the building. But, like the name says- it is a Transfer location- giving access from region to region, and transferring gear and loot from region to region. I do make trips back through the tunnel to BR to bring in food with Vitamin C to deal with Scurvy (Airline Vegetarian meals and MREs, usually!), to stash pelts and cloth for clothing repairs. But I don't stay there long before moving into one of the new regions, or starting the transfer of items back to BR. It is really a region where you have to bring everything you might need in, stash it, and usually take everything back to Lower Great Bear once you are done in The Far Territory.