Do u think tld will get more natural items

Willow

Tld has a few natural resources and I think there should be more

hear me out, items like the hatchet or knife aren’t renewable or repairable forever, I thus think maybe something such as Birch polypore shroom (a mushroom that when hardened can be used as a wield stone to sharpen items)4E7760F9-47C8-43F8-9B59-2B888B11DE4B.jpeg.6fe53142d6f72bfa68ea2251369ddbe1.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:39 PM, Willow said:

hear me out, items like the hatchet or knife aren’t renewable or repairable forever, I thus think maybe something such as Birch polypore shroom (a mushroom that when hardened can be used as a wield stone to sharpen items)

There's a backer-submitted note left behind somewhere - I think in the PV farmhouse, but I'm not totally sure - that talks about what sort of water-smoothed rock you should look for to use as a sharpening stone. But of course, that's not something you can actually do in the game, even tho it would totally make sense, presumably because keeping your gear in good repair is intended as part of the survival struggle. If they haven't added something as simple as that, which is actually referenced in the game, I can't really see them adding something with as many possible uses as polypore this late in the day, unfortunately.

• Upvote 3

On 4/20/2024 at 5:39 PM, Willow said:

hear me out, items like the hatchet or knife aren’t renewable or repairable forever, I thus think maybe something such as Birch polypore shroom (a mushroom that when hardened can be used as a wield stone to sharpen items)

But they kind of are- with the milling machine. We can repair hacksaws,  hatchets and knives there, and repair or restore all of the firearms except the distress pistol.

Rather than adding a new mushroom, I would rather see them add schist to specific mines or caves, or at the base of some mountains or large rocky outcrops. Not a common find like regular stones are, but a more uncommon stone found in those locations. Use it to sharpen hatchets or knives, or use it like a regular stone to bean a bear in the head with (be ready to runnnnnnnnnnnn!).

It would basically tie into this note-

On 4/22/2024 at 11:03 AM, artmunki said:

There's a backer-submitted note left behind somewhere - I think in the PV farmhouse, but I'm not totally sure - that talks about what sort of water-smoothed rock you should look for to use as a sharpening stone. But of course, that's not something you can actually do in the game, even tho it would totally make sense, presumably because keeping your gear in good repair is intended as part of the survival struggle. If they haven't added something as simple as that, which is actually referenced in the game, I can't really see them adding something with as many possible uses as polypore this late in the day, unfortunately.

-and would make sense in the game. A primitive sharpening stone to replace a worn out whetstone. Much more limited uses than polypores could possibly have, so less chance to end up with something that could end up being very redundant or OP (and that people who insist on "realism" would yell about if it didn't have every possible use added into the game). I agree with @artmunki on this.

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2024 at 6:18 AM, ThePancakeLady said:

Rather than adding a new mushroom, I would rather see them add schist to specific mines or caves, or at the base of some mountains or large rocky outcrops. Not a common find like regular stones are, but a more uncommon stone found in those locations. Use it to sharpen hatchets or knives, or use it like a regular stone to bean a bear in the head with (be ready to runnnnnnnnnnnn!).

And as schist is such a flaky stone type, it would actually make sense that those would wear out at least as quickly as the game's whetstones, since schist is so prone to breaking. I mean, really, has Bear Island only ever been supplied with cheap whetstones made of clay from Wish.com or something? Those things wear out so damn fast!  😜

The alternative, which might be a little more realistic, whilst not reducing the game's challenge, could simply be to make whetstones much less common but significantly more durable (I like to cook a lot and I'm still using my grandfather's - I don't have children, but if I did, there's no reason why their children wouldn't be able to use it).

• Upvote 1